Master Stroke moves by coaches ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Wes Tiger

All Australian
May 11, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Malcolme Blight playing defender Shane Ellen at Full Forward in the 1997 Grand Final vs the Saints. 5 goals! Also John Worsfold moving Adam Hunter forward vs the Swans in the finals 2005. Proved pivotal again the next season. Stephen Silvagni once got moved by Parkin in 93 vs the Roys after Kernahan got injured from Full back to Full forward and kicked 10 goals in a half. He was good when used as a forward old SOS. Bobbed up to have good hauls against WCE in 92 and 97 bagging 8 and 6 respectably. Took a beauty of a mark in the 97 game knocking himself out. Silvagni was truly a great of the game.

Malcolm Blight playing Mark Bairstow on Peter Matera in the 1992 Grand Final. Won us the game!

Seriously though... a few proper Eagles ones.

First-year Glen Jakovich thrown into the ruck by Mick Malthouse vs Melbourne in the 1991 Finals Series to take on (soon to be) Brownlow Medallist Jim Stynes. Stynes has 28 touches, 15 hitouts and a goal, but Jakovich more than holds his own, gathering 25 possessions, 10 hitouts and 1.1 in an Eagles win.

The move of Peter Matera from the wing in early 1996 (where he was badly out of form) to the half back flank where he'd be named as an All Australian that season. Damn, I love that Eagles season. Pity about the ending.

Terry Wallace's 'Super Flood' to take down the all conquering Essendon in 2000. Not a great look for the game but it did get results.

The 'keepings off' game against Adelaide while coach of Richmond comes to mind as well. For all the shit he cops for the 'list manager' gig he really was a very good match day coach ol' Plough.

I'd say Bomber Thompson setting a Brownlow Medalist for a tagging job in a GF would have to go pretty close. Lenny Hayes was on his way to a Norm Smith at qtr time in 2009 when Jimmy Bartel, not Cameron Ling, was given the task of stopping him.

Lenny went quiet for the rest of the day and it went a long way to keeping Geelong in the contest.

• Banned
Malcolm Blight playing Mark Bairstow on Peter Matera in the 1992 Grand Final. Won us the game!

Seriously though... a few proper Eagles ones.

First-year Glen Jakovich thrown into the ruck by Mick Malthouse vs Melbourne in the 1991 Finals Series to take on (soon to be) Brownlow Medallist Jim Stynes. Stynes has 28 touches, 15 hitouts and a goal, but Jakovich more than holds his own, gathering 25 possessions, 10 hitouts and 1.1 in an Eagles win.

The move of Peter Matera from the wing in early 1996 (where he was badly out of form) to the half back flank where he'd be named as an All Australian that season. Damn, I love that Eagles season. Pity about the ending.
Nice write up. I like it! 1996 Jacko going down was a big loss with that knee injury. Also having to play the Bombers at the MCG when it should have been at Subi? Yeah, poor ending. Either way going to play the Swans at the SCG in a prelim would have been a bridge too far imo.

• Banned
The 'keepings off' game against Adelaide while coach of Richmond comes to mind as well. For all the shit he cops for the 'list manager' gig he really was a very good match day coach ol' Plough.

I'd say Bomber Thompson setting a Brownlow Medalist for a tagging job in a GF would have to go pretty close. Lenny Hayes was on his way to a Norm Smith at qtr time in 2009 when Jimmy Bartel, not Cameron Ling, was given the task of stopping him.

Lenny went quiet for the rest of the day and it went a long way to keeping Geelong in the contest.
that keepings off game, was it in 2006 where you won by 4 after coming off an absolute hiding the week before against the Swans?

An undersized (even by the standards of a decade ago) Adam Goodes being moved into the ruck in 2003. Admittedly, this was a premeditated move (albeit somewhat influenced by injuries) across the whole year, not a spur-of-the-moment masterstroke during a match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Allen Jakovich was kicking goals from every part of the ground early in his career, Sheedy used Paul Salmon as a spare man in defence. He had him standing about 25m in front of Jakovich which effectively took him out of the game. It was back in a time when flooding the defence hadn't really been used much and was a brilliant move as Jako had been unstoppable up until then. I can't stand Sheedy but in his time he was a great game day coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Master Stroke moves by coaches ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back