Opinion Match day experience

Remove this Banner Ad

I do miss some of the old match day experiences too.

i miss standing in the crowd. When everyone was packed in there was a lot more noise and atmosphere.

running out onto the ground after the game.

watching the reserves.

watching the scores from the other grounds up on the scoreboard.

There was nothing like it. And no crowd was like another. Every game had its own different vibe and feel.

There was nothing like it. And no crowd was like another. Every game had its own different vibe and feel.
True. Every game you got to talk to different people. Was really social.
Even the other teams fans who came down sometimes you'd make mates with them for the day.
Sometimes in a bad way though. Which was actually even more fun especially if a fight could break out.

Yeah I'm unapologetically like this. I'm extremely selective about making the trip now as it is the entire day. Put bluntly there are many other things I'd rather do most of the time.
Same. Was good as a kid/young adult making a day of it. Getting in early to get a seat and watching the ressies.
But bugger that now! I couldn't think of anything worse.

There are some improvements in match day experiences.

Long walks and queues to the toilets. F*** that used be awful. Especially if you were standing on the outer wing at kardinia park.

ticketed games. No longer have to rock up 3 hours before the match to get a great seat.
True. Last time I was at Marvel I lined up and got a coffee at qr time and still got back to my seat before the game started.
Awesome!
Lucky I've given up smoking though. Going out for a smoke now would be a massive pain in the arse. Would take more than the half time break.

Same. Was good as a kid/young adult making a day of it. Getting in early to get a seat and watching the ressies.
But bugger that now! I couldn't think of anything worse.

The thing was, there was little delay between the reserves and seniors. You could get to the ground at around 12:45, see the entire second half, and it was no more than 10-15 minutes before the real thing started. Then gradually the times for the reserves just got made earlier and earlier, which if you wanted to see that, made the day longer and longer. And so on.

True. Last time I was at Marvel I lined up and got a coffee at qr time and still got back to my seat before the game started.
Awesome!
Lucky I've given up smoking though. Going out for a smoke now would be a massive pain in the arse. Would take more than the half time break.
The benefits of having centralised locations cannot be overstated enough for me.

Coming from Reservoir (when I used to live in Melbourne) - the MCG, Kardinia and Docklands are all a piece of piss to get to. Moorabbin? Princes Park? Waverley? Get stuffed.

Keep the WOKE, SLEEP, and any other social topic you wanna bring out of this thread.

There are places for those angles on discussion and this board aint it.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the issues with game centralisation, though, is that there are no reserves games for the G and Docklands. At least, I assume that’s a reason - to manage turf damage.

Coming from Reservoir (when I used to live in Melbourne) - the MCG, Kardinia and Docklands are all a piece of piss to get to. Moorabbin? Princes Park? Waverley? Get stuffed.

Probably at the age where I don't want to commit to 4-5 hours a week beforehand but I live near Rezza and Docklands is a bridge too far. The extra 2-3 stops from Jolimont, idling at Flinders and the extra 3-4 stops home is too much for me. Plus that slow slow slow walk back to Southern Cross along the concourse is killer.

Yeah I'm unapologetically like this. I'm extremely selective about making the trip now as it is the entire day. Put bluntly there are many other things I'd rather do most of the time.
yep I absolutely love the fact that it is ticketed and you have your seat and not a worry about where or when, and you can just roll in last minute if you need and get right into it

Top 40 crap can GAGF at anytime.
yeah the biggest issue I have with any of this whole "match day experience" crap is just how artificial it all feels. I know it has been mentioned about US sports, I was watching the Sixers before and they constantly have music, dance cam, giveaways etc etc... but the game also stops every 2 mins it seems for breaks, challenges, time outs etc etc... they NEED to keep the crowd going, add to it the fact that they have grown up on it, they love getting on the camera as it is all they have known and all game long they are a chance to get there, win something, catch a t-shirt etc

but our game is so so different, the game is effectively non stop for 30 min blocks, we don't need anything to fill the gaps.. the game is the entertainment and that should be the main point, secondly because the dance stuff feels so forced we push back against it and no one is interested.. which makes it even worse when the MC bellows about how everyone get up and dance.. and 3 people per bay do it.

At the end of the day, like everything else.. the club/league doesn't give a single **** about what the actual fans think, and they want to be like American sports so it will just keep getting shoved down our throats

Probably at the age where I don't want to commit to 4-5 hours a week beforehand but I live near Rezza and Docklands is a bridge too far. The extra 2-3 stops from Jolimont, idling at Flinders and the extra 3-4 stops home is too much for me. Plus that slow slow slow walk back to Southern Cross along the concourse is killer.
Drive a suburb across to the Upfield line ;)

yeah the biggest issue I have with any of this whole "match day experience" crap is just how artificial it all feels. I know it has been mentioned about US sports, I was watching the Sixers before and they constantly have music, dance cam, giveaways etc etc... but the game also stops every 2 mins it seems for breaks, challenges, time outs etc etc... they NEED to keep the crowd going, add to it the fact that they have grown up on it, they love getting on the camera as it is all they have known and all game long they are a chance to get there, win something, catch a t-shirt etc

but our game is so so different, the game is effectively non stop for 30 min blocks, we don't need anything to fill the gaps.. the game is the entertainment and that should be the main point, secondly because the dance stuff feels so forced we push back against it and no one is interested.. which makes it even worse when the MC bellows about how everyone get up and dance.. and 3 people per bay do it.

At the end of the day, like everything else.. the club/league doesn't give a single fu** about what the actual fans think, and they want to be like American sports so it will just keep getting shoved down our throats

Keeps me away so I'd say they're achieving their objective.

Listening to the entire Gabba sing along to Country Road after Charlie Cameron has kicked a goal is an incredible experience. I don't know if the Cats play a song the players have chosen after a goal, but I think it is a genius idea of the Lions. It's truly a magical experience when a player slots the winning goal after a tight game and the whole crowd sings their song, which is what happened up here in Brissy after the Lions verse Port. One of the best moments I have ever had at the footy tbh.

As for the noise level of the crowd, that issue is very specific to Geelong. The Lions members are very loud at the Gabba. Collingwood, Richmond, Port supporters and so on are all very loud. Let us face it, Geelong has never had a loud supporter base. A lot of people see the footy in Geelong as a chance to spend a relaxing night with family and friends, not as a chance to get drunk and shriek their heads off and make themselves the centre of attention. Personally I see nothing wrong with Geelong people take a calmer approach, even if it does lessen the home ground advantage a bit. It's much nicer for families to not have loud drunken idiots around kids.

Also we were one of the only clubs (maybe the only club) who did not boo Adam Goodes at our home ground, so I think there is something to be said for being chill.

Listening to the entire Gabba sing along to Country Road after Charlie Cameron has kicked a goal is an incredible experience. I don't know if the Cats play a song the players have chosen after a goal, but I think it is a genius idea of the Lions. It's truly a magical experience when a player slots the winning goal after a tight game and the whole crowd sings their song, which is what happened up here in Brissy after the Lions verse Port. One of the best moments I have ever had at the footy tbh.

As for the noise level of the crowd, that issue is very specific to Geelong. The Lions members are very loud at the Gabba. Collingwood, Richmond, Port supporters and so on are all very loud. Let us face it, Geelong has never had a loud supporter base. A lot of people see the footy in Geelong as a chance to spend a relaxing night with family and friends, not as a chance to get drunk and shriek their heads off and make themselves the centre of attention. Personally I see nothing wrong with Geelong people take a calmer approach, even if it does lessen the home ground advantage a bit. It's much nicer for families to not have loud drunken idiots around kids.

Also we were one of the only clubs (maybe the only club) who did not boo Adam Goodes at our home ground, so I think there is something to be said for being chill.
The only song I wanna be part of singing, or hearing for that matter, is the club song after a win and ill tolerate hearing the oppo song after a loss

Rest of it - get in the ****ing bin.

I dont care if you are the voice of the game at the ground. Shut up.

I understand the economics of it and sponsors want their 4 mins in the sun where their logos are on the field at 3/4 time - but holding the game up is deplorable.

And we only get 3 breaks in the game. Dont fill them with needless shit music.

GO Catters

I must be the odd one out, i have never noticed the crowd really being that bad at Geelong, that said I do enjoy when the other team gets a good run with the umpires early as it does fire the crowd up a bit more haha.
Our cheer squad are also borderline useless and i would suggest most of them are just there because they are nuffies who want to get on the ground to hold the banner.. they constantly start their chants and claps after the horse has bolted and the best crowd stuff and atmosphere comes from other sections.

Night games though are easily a much better atmosphere than the day games, and I would suggest that absolutely comes down to booze... so maybe KP needs to either drop the price of the piss or up the strength and see what happens from there!

That Goodes thing had everything to do with the fact that the issue had come to massive head that week and both sides had come down hard on it in the lead up. I was at that game, you could tell there were some people who very much wanted to boo but were concerned that they would be pretty much jumped on.

Kolo towelled him up that night and every touch from Kolo got too much rapturous applause.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back