Opinion Match day experience

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bulldogs 'match day experience' was on a whole other level to ours (in a bad way).

The warm-up guy read out the names of each of the players at the start of the game and expected the crowd to cheer on cue.

Then after each goal the stadium went dark and red, white and blue lights flashed around the ground.

I won't be going to another Bulldogs home game at Docklands after that. Ghastly!

The Bulldogs 'match day experience' was on a whole other level to ours (in a bad way).

The warm-up guy read out the names of each of the players at the start of the game and expected the crowd to cheer on cue.

Then after each goal the stadium went dark and red, white and blue lights flashed around the ground.

I won't be going to another Bulldogs home game at Docklands after that. Ghastly!

The flashing lights are for every marvel tenant.

The flashing lights are for every marvel tenant.

And I’m pretty sure similar happens at the MCG - I haven’t been to any Marvel games this season, but I remember something like that with the flashing lights at the MCG, thinking the Hawks game on Easter Monday

I would'nt what epilepsy with those lights .

Lucky they didn't come on that much.

15 mins in friday night WB wants to start a flight with me..
He goes geelong surporters don't know the rules bahbah...
I know I can count and that was 7 goals .
And our players dont flop like Cordy flopy Weightman.

He said to he's mate Bevo needs to sacked...lol.

Mrs Rocky told me to shut it...boooo.

End of the game we were freinds ..lol...Friends.

The kids near us were yelling Shank when the WB were having a shot for goal...lol.

This epileptic says no to Flashing lights and Nosebleed seats. The older I get the less I can handle the grandstands. I'd hate to sit in the Riverbank stand in Adelaide I'd Fair dinkum spew. As a Norwood fan we blame everything that's crap on Port so I'll stick true to type and say **** your match day experience INXS bulltish, I just want to watch footy.

And that's my old man rant for the day. 😀

And I’m pretty sure similar happens at the MCG - I haven’t been to any Marvel games this season, but I remember something like that with the flashing lights at the MCG, thinking the Hawks game on Easter Monday
There were no flashing lights against Essendon and Collingwood at the MCG this year. It would only work at Docklands, where with the roof closed they can turn the lights off completely.

I haven't been to a night game at Docklands for a few years. If it happens with all clubs, I won't be going there again.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy but hasn’t the Docklands always been about the “experience“? I feel like they had these flashing lights when a goal was scored (or maybe it was just the team colours adorning the LED fences) and music blaring when I was last there, which could be 2018 or 2019.

For me, with the whole Docklands “experience” I am not sure I will step foot in there again. Especially now without the convenience of being in the city on a Friday to cut out the many annoyances.

Kudos to Cats supporters who would schlep there from Geelong.👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe my memory is fuzzy but hasn’t the Docklands always been about the “experience“? I feel like they had these flashing lights when a goal was scored (or maybe it was just the team colours adorning the LED fences) and music blaring when I was last there, which could be 2018 or 2019.

For me, with the whole Docklands “experience” I am not sure I will step foot in there again. Especially now without the convenience of being in the city on a Friday to cut out the many annoyances.

I traveled to marvel for the st Kilda game. Contemplating on never going back.

Half the reason is the stadium, half the reason is st Kilda fans in itself ruining the whole night for us and themselves.

No, it's never been this bad before. That's why I commented on it.

Never liked it. Can’t see myself going back any time soon.

Never liked it. Can’t see myself going back any time soon.
No worries. I wasn't a big fan of the ground in previous years but was happy to go there to see Geelong play. Sadly, no more.

As others have said, the same is happening at Kardinia Park on a smaller scale. It's been happening for years at the MCG in various ways too, but Friday night was the worst experience I've had at the footy.

Football is entertainment for me. I don't need any razzle dazzle or other distractions, and I certainly don't need to be told when to cheer.

So the club decides to have the next member forum at marvel stadium at 6 pm on a Tuesday why would you not have it in geelong where most members are. Great fan engagement yet again. Just a puzzling decision.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No worries. I wasn't a big fan of the ground in previous years but was happy to go there to see Geelong play. Sadly, no more.

As others have said, the same is happening at Kardinia Park on a smaller scale. It's been happening for years at the MCG in various ways too, but Friday night was the worst experience I've had at the footy.

Football is entertainment for me. I don't need any razzle dazzle or other distractions, and I certainly don't need to be told when to cheer.
Totally agree. I’m on record as saying if they keep this up at KP it will be the end of me spending $1500+ on memberships/seats for my family annually. My kids keep asking “why are they always shouting at us?”

So the club decides to have the next member forum at marvel stadium at 6 pm on a Tuesday why would you not have it in geelong where most members are. Great fan engagement yet again. Just a puzzling decision.

Saw this being whinged about on Twitter so checked my own emails. Two fan forums.

Screenshot 2022-06-08 193204.jpg

most members are not necessarily in Geelong- don't know the current numbers, but a couple of decades ago, def more "supporters" not in Geelong.
At this save the club meeting we atended, they commented on the fickleness of local Geelong fans quickly pulling the pin on actual support when things were grim.
Wonder what the figures are like now- we have been ultra-successful and supportable.

I’ve just been to an ice hockey match in Edmonton (which is, even in Canada, known as a hockey-mad city).

A couple of observations re the match day experience:

• There’s no gate keeping or self consciousness around team jerseys. The rule at the AFL seems to be that you abstain from wearing a team jersey as soon as you’re too old to play AFL, and having a favourite player’s number is strictly for kids. Here in Edmonton, EVERYONE wears a numbered jersey. And they don’t just do it at the game - it’s at the mall, down the street…
  • The level of fandom here is NUTS. I think most AFL supporters enjoy the game, but it’s not life or death. For a LOT of people in Edmonton, the Oilers are a huge part of their identity.
  • The light and sound show lasts about ten minutes and it is spectacular.
  • The sound of the light and sound show is absolutely deafening, and that is the point.
  • The crowd absolutely gets up for the light and sound show. They cheer when they’re supposed to. It’s a sense of theatre.
  • There is no cringe at all about going Full Nuff.
  • The light and sound stuff also works better simply because it is a smaller indoor stadium with incredibly steep rake, based on a small hockey rink, as opposed to the MCG.
In short, it works incredibly well if you have a crowd who buy into the theatre of it. But in Australia we are a lot more self conscious and want to enjoy footy on our own terms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back