Speculation Matt Owies

Remove this Banner Ad

Still no contract offer for Owies. Surely a few other clubs make an offer.

Carlton small forward Matt Owies will have to wait for a contract offer from the Blues in the post-season even as his remarkable season continues with another brilliant effort in a crunch game.
The Blues are to keep their options open even if it increases their chances of losing Owies to a rival club as they sort through their small forward pecking order.

Owies kicked three goals against West Coast to take his season tally to 32 from 22 games, trailing only Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay among Blues goalkickers.

Essendon had at one stage been linked to Owies but they will secure NGA pick Isaac Kako, who is a bustling small forward.

So the Blues are content to hold off, not ruling out a contract offer but holding tight for now.

Carlton small forward Jack Martin is also set to receive a contract offer and while suitors had been keen on him he has broken down in two of the three games he has played this year.

It puts his future into doubt despite his huge potential in the rare times he has put a string of games together.
Obviously his agent is playing funny buggers here and chasing other teams to set his value. Form or not, Owies isnt the player to be held to ransom by, especially for a team like Carlton, especiually if he is chasing like a 700k per year type deal

Id probably move on Owies and target Joe Richards if im Carlton. Alternatives could be Sam Wicks, Caiden Cleary, Sam Sturt who would all come on less money and be of similar output

Obviously his agent is playing funny buggers here and chasing other teams to set his value. Form or not, Owies isnt the player to be held to ransom by, especially for a team like Carlton, especiually if he is chasing like a 700k per year type deal

Id probably move on Owies and target Joe Richards if im Carlton. Alternatives could be Sam Wicks, Caiden Cleary, Sam Sturt who would all come on less money and be of similar output
Agree, I thought he would only be worth 400k. Surprised he would not take that for 2-3 years

Similar to Richards, less than Sturt and the rest.

He's probably asking for more money, but I think the reason he hasn't been re-signed yet is probably more from being Carlton's decision. We need to keep some list flexibility coming into trade week, and Owies would have some decent trade value.

He's probably asking for more money, but I think the reason he hasn't been re-signed yet is probably more from being Carlton's decision. We need to keep some list flexibility coming into trade week, and Owies would have some decent trade value.
In all honesty it does have Essendon written all over it. They geniunely need 3 small forwards.

What are opposition supporters view on his value? I'm not a big fan of him but think if we could get a pick in the 30s for him we'd jump at him. Bit of a hard one to get a read on as he's a fairly limited, yet effective small forward. Tries his guts out too.

What are opposition supporters view on his value? I'm not a big fan of him but think if we could get a pick in the 30s for him we'd jump at him. Bit of a hard one to get a read on as he's a fairly limited, yet effective small forward. Tries his guts out too.
He'd be around North's third rounder (pick 40) / F3?

Future 2nd rounder 100% (maybe you give F4th back) . Id suspect its a Essendon/North scenario so probably ends up at the 20-30s.

Some may say overkill but if they are paying the guy 500k+ a season then a pick in the mid 20s shouldnt be too much of a concern

Future 2nd rounder 100% (maybe you give F4th back) . Id suspect its a Essendon/North scenario so probably ends up at the 20-30s.

Some may say overkill but if they are paying the guy 500k+ a season then a pick in the mid 20s shouldnt be too much of a concern
It depends who's future 2nd we're talking about.

Surely not either of our team's.

But if its Sydney's, then sure.

I reckon his value is somewhere between Taylor Adams (pick 33) and Jack Billings (a top four Melbourne's F3).

So low-end of the second round to higher-end of the third round.

It depends who's future 2nd we're talking about.

Surely not either of our team's.

But if its Sydney's, then sure.

I reckon his value is somewhere between Taylor Adams (pick 33) and Jack Billings (a top four Melbourne's F3).

So low-end of the second round to higher-end of the third round.
Future picks hold lower value though. I think both clubs would want to move future picks anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Future picks hold lower value though. I think both clubs would want to move future picks anyway
I get that, but odds are that North's future second is in the 20-25 range.

Owies' type are pretty easy to come by in the trade season.

Maybe the Bombers could be persuaded to do the second rounder for a fourth back thing you suggested, but I doubt North would.

Averaging more goals than Bobby Hill, Frederick, Ginnivan, West, Rachele, Zurhaar, Schultz and Ollie Henry.

Averages more tackles than Bobby, Rachele, Cameron and Henry.

He's not a top end player, but I think he's obviously in great contract year form.

If I was Carlton I wouldn't accept anything less than a top 25 pick. I could see someone like North at pick 21 or Essendon at 15 with something going back being in play.

Averaging more goals than Bobby Hill, Frederick, Ginnivan, West, Rachele, Zurhaar, Schultz and Ollie Henry.

He's not a top end player, but I think he's obviously in great contract year form.

If I was Carlton I wouldn't accept anything less than a top 25 pick. I could see someone like North at pick 21 or Essendon at 15 with something going back being in play.

Most those fwds are better then Owies,

Your not getting a first rounder for Owies bro. I love him for the consistent tick in my multis but 27 year old Owies is unlikely to pull a second rounder imo.

I think so too. You guys are potentially moving on Owies and Martin, and also looking at moving on Cerra. Maybe opening up salary cap to go after a higher class small/medium fwd?
From what I can gather looks like Houston + some quality draftees and maybe a cheap pick up in an area of need such as a Sam Wicks, Malcolm Rosas type.

Owies is an ordinary footballer who makes the most of what gifts he has. The rest of our smalls are far more talented but make a mockery of themselves every time they set foot on a field.

Would assume the club is backing them in to be better next season and the additions a trade unlocks to be a net positive overall.

Not that good but has some value, Blues clearly interested in finding some trade capital for players they see as more of a need for the list
Don't you guys need small forwards?

I know he isn't a gun, but it just seems a little odd to be shopping a player in a position of need when there isn't an obvious replacement.

Don't you guys need small forwards?

I know he isn't a gun, but it just seems a little odd to be shopping a player in a position of need when there isn't an obvious replacement.
they want small forwards with more pace and defensive pressure.

As do most sides

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Matt Owies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back