Speculation Matthew Kennedy [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a footballers footballer. Tough, good mark, good kick. Sadly a bit slow. We have the best inside mid in the comp in Cripps, Hewett who isn't worth anything trade wise and is better defensively and have picked up Lord who looks like he might be quite good but in a similar role.

Clearly we have decided to try abd inject some pace into the team. If we can get a mid to late 2nd for Matt and replace him with a mid season pick in Lord that seems to make good business sense.

He's a significantly better footballer than Setterfield for example. Would prefer Matt to stay but I can understand the logic of trying to work on our deficiencies by using "superfluous " pieces that have trade value.

3 second 20m at the combine

Jack Petruccelle ran a 2.87 - and he's lightning quick

Weddle one of your quickest ran a 2.93

He mightn't be rapid but he's fast enough
Ok. Great runner just never seen him as that speedy burst player

Ok. Great runner just never seen him as that speedy burst player
Yeah I don't think he's like - a JDG, Trac, Reid type breakaway from stoppage player

More like Nick Daicos that has good speed, not amazing, but has really good agility

Nick is an improved version of Walsh in that regard, I just don't have anyone else to compare him to. He's faster than Andy Brayshaw but not as fast as Hayden Young for example - this is just to the eye, I don't have stats to support that lol

Blues paid pick 28 for him 6 years ago.

You think you can trade out the 6 year older version once you don’t want him anymore for the same/better than you paid for him?

Yep. He was unproven at that point.
He's now a valuable player who a few teams will be chasing. Also, nowhere have we stated he's an unwanted player. He wants more midfield time and he's entitled to chase that. This has been stated numerous times now by his manager, journalists, and posters here but this isn't a case of us pushing him out.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like Carlton need some more salary cap space to land Houston. Why else would they be getting rid of their depth in Young and Kennedy?
Kennedy is best 22 as evidenced by being one of only three players to play every game this year

He’s just not best 22 in the role he wants to play (CB mid)

7 pages of debate as to the third-hand Chinese whispers of wording of how Kennedy and the Carlton football club discussed a potential trade - the extent it was mutual or not, the extent that Carlton are happy to keep him on their list or want to move him on or not, all discussions that are being reported to journalists who then have to sort of summarise all of that info in a way public understand.

Nobody really has a clue, not even the journos, do they?

7 pages of debate as to the third-hand Chinese whispers of wording of how Kennedy and the Carlton football club discussed a potential trade - the extent it was mutual or not, the extent that Carlton are happy to keep him on their list or want to move him on or not, all discussions that are being reported to journalists who then have to sort of summarise all of that info in a way public understand.

Nobody really has a clue, not even the journos, do they?
Outside of the list manager, player and manager - nope

It's all speculation, it's all just a bit of fun and games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Manager made it clear on Gettable it's not an outright dumping thing and Trotts gives surprisingly earnest vibes for a player manager. Doesnt read like an out an out dump to me, more something that can work for everyone. I'm sticking to a "fair" trade of about pick 30 if a club wants him.

I'd be pretty comfortable with that for Freo (but he also made it clear he's staying in Vic).

Kennedy can play but his type's stocks are in the basement right now because most of the best clubs now play 0-1 slow midfielders and there's a lot of good slow midfielders out there. If he goes it will be for an early third rounder at best.

Essendon would be perfect club for him and they have the exact pick required to get the deal done #28 that will get consumed by the kako bid anyway
Reckon either Dons or Pies. Pies have pick 33 and a need for a Mitchell replacement.

But we'll likely be packaging up whatever pick we would get if he is traded to either get back in around the late teens/early 20s mark or using it in a trade. So it's more up to whatever club we'd be trading it to whether it's adequate enough to get us what we want.

Late 20s/early 30s too risky for us with a bid for Ben Campo expected range.

We’d probably want x2 Firsts from Freo or Collingwood…

But anyone else a pick in the mid 20’s to low 30’s. Maybe it could be an upgrade of our second to a late first…

If there’s no benefit to us, we’d be better off keeping him, showing him some love and getting him over 100 games (currently on 99 games).

IMO, zero chance Kennedy gets us a 2nd rd'er in this years draft. The quality is too good through to Pick 40 odd for a club to give that up.

He is more like a Pick in the 40's, or an upgrade from our 31 to guarantee we get that into the low 20's ahead of a possible Camporeale bid.

Kennedy is a player that us slightly older, ex players love. Tough, whole-hearted, great overhead, beautiful straight kick, good around the Club.

But at AFL 2025 level, he's not worth much. Hopefully, that desired upgrade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Matthew Kennedy [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back