Speculation Matthew Kennedy [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, I have no idea what he’d be worth in a trade but would be annoyed if Dogs paid anything more than a pick in the 60s.
Probably something similar to what you would expect for Macrae.

Macrae's best was obviously better, but given age and Kennedy coming off a top ten B&F season, we would hope for a similar return.

Macrae's best was obviously better, but given age and Kennedy coming off a top ten B&F season, we would hope for a similar return.

If we paid Pick 32 for Kennedy just fold the club. If we paid 48 for Kennedy that is still insane overs.

The other thing to take into account is the contracts. Macrae comes with a big fat ugly one, while Kennedy doesn’t.

I would rate their worth as pretty much identical. Could just be a simple 3-way swap of those two and 1 or 2 picks from us.

Also worth bearing in mind that picks in the 30’s and 40’s this year are widely regarded as being worth much more than identical picks in most recent drafts.

I heard someone of note say that 30’s and 40’s picks this year are equivalent to picks in the 20’s in some recent drafts, so if you don’t think a 40’s pick is very appealing, would you have thought the same about a mid-late 20’s pick last year, for the same deal?

This is a very deep draft, and mid 40’s picks will end up in the late 30’s, after earlier FS/academy bids have been matched.

The Dogs were definitely not on my bingo card for being interested in Kennedy, but must have their reasons.

I'm sad to see him go, might be best for us long term and for his sake (though still trying to work out how he gets more opportunity at the Dogs) but yeah, would have happily kept him. Loveliest guy around, good versatile player even if he is a bit slow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other thing to take into account is the contracts. Macrae comes with a big fat ugly one, while Kennedy doesn’t.

I would rate their worth as pretty much identical. Could just be a simple 3-way swap of those two and 1 or 2 picks from us.

Also worth bearing in mind that picks in the 30’s and 40’s this year are widely regarded as being worth much more than identical picks in most recent drafts.

I heard someone of note say that 30’s and 40’s picks this year are equivalent to picks in the 20’s in some recent drafts, so if you don’t think a 40’s pick is very appealing, would you have thought the same about a mid-late 20’s pick last year, for the same deal?

This is a very deep draft, and mid 40’s picks will end up in the late 30’s, after earlier FS/academy bids have been matched.
Fair comments.

I don't know what the number, just that all being equal I would say Kennedy and Macrae have roughly equal value.

Macrae may have two seasons left, Kennedy may have four or so.

We're probably in future pick territory anyway, picks beyond 30 this year are not much value to us.

Can you remind me how many times Kennedy has been All Australian?
Finished 10 in our B&F. He's no slouch.

Also under contract. Plays a supporting act behind Cripps and Hewett though. If you lost Macrae and Smith. He plays every week.

Libba is 32
Treloar is one more hamstring away from being sent to the glue factory.

This makes sense. He's under contract so it will be interesting. We don't need any more later picks and supposedly don't want any futures. So 32 makes sense if the saints hand it over to you or 35.

If you got him for 48 it would be a steal.

Can you remind me how many times Kennedy has been All Australian?
I think we can all agree that the Brownlow medal is the “Midfielders Medal” yet do you know how many Brownlow votes Macrae had received in the last two years?

I’ll save you the time of looking it up. It’s… zero.

Not one vote in two years, after receiving 22, 15, 14 and 11, in the previous 4.

The AA version of Jack is a long way in the rearviewmirror. Yet he carries the contract of a guy who’s still pretty much there.

Last edited:
I can see why the Dogs are doing this.

They’re losing the depth of Smith, Macrae and presumably Daniel, and Libba is a potential ticking time bomb, and Kennedy is a plug-and-play guy that can either play midfield, or in the sort of role Macrae was playing up forward.

Goals this year:

Kennedy 16 from 24 games.
Macrae 5 from 19.

I think they see Kennedy as an upgrade on what they’d have Macrae doing going forward, and on MUCH less coin.

It’s a solid move.

Kennedy would be walking into the exact same situation at the Bulldogs. Perhaps he could wait out Libba and Treloar's dominance as players, but Richards is already better, and Sanders would be expected to surpass him at some stage too.
Is there a club in the comp where he’d walk into a better situation though?

Is there a club in the comp where he’d walk into a better situation though?
True. I think Melbourne, particularly if Oliver goes which looks less likely

I almost think he's a better target for St Kilda than Macrae, but not confident

Saints for one… 3, 4, 5 and 6 for clearances at the Saints this year were Sinclair, Windhager, Clark and Dow.
If we weren’t getting Macrae I would agree, but we don’t need both, especially with them both being big, slow dudes.

If what he did at the end of the season in the midfield is anything to go by, Phillipou could be ready to explode next year, and he’s another tall guy who isn’t explosive, and Hunter Clark played exclusively midfield this year once he returned, and he’s slow, so adding two more big slow guys to Steele, Phillipou and Clark would just be too much.

At our draft range we might also end up with one or two of Smillie and Langford…

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Matthew Kennedy [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back