Speculation Matthew Kennedy [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Macrae played mostly high forward / outside mid this year. We often had Treloar and Richards in the centre to try and get legspeed into the team. We gambled on Bramble to get ball speed out of the back half and have been looking to add to pace all over the ground.
The Kennedy news is really surprising. I would have thought Saints or Essendon would be all over him

I would too, he's an ideal fit for us.

True. I think Melbourne, particularly if Oliver goes which looks less likely

I almost think he's a better target for St Kilda than Macrae, but not confident
Yeah I mean if WB were hell-bent on getting a good return for Macrae and we could get Kennedy for the same price, I think I would prefer Kennedy.

Could thrive with a predominately inside midfield role and I think he’s more versatile than Macrae (certainly more of a goalkicking threat), and I would much much prefer the Kennedy contract.

Even for us I don’t like the Macrae contract. I think we’ll struggle to get value for money. Like how we’re paying Crouch presumably over a million dollars to play half a game in 2024/25.

I struggle to see how we won’t be paying Macrae a premium to play VFL in year 3.

True. I think Melbourne, particularly if Oliver goes which looks less likely

I almost think he's a better target for St Kilda than Macrae, but not confident

I would have him over Macrae, at worst he projects to be better than Macrae by the end of next year, and he isn't owed $800k p.a in 3 years time.

I would have him over Macrae, at worst he projects to be better than Macrae by the end of next year, and he isn't owed $800k p.a in 3 years time.
It’s being reported that he’s on over $800K for the next two years, so that presumably means he’s on less for the final year. Still a very unappealing contract though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With pick 25 looking likely for CD, and 32 for Macrae, if we spend anything better than pick 50 for Kennedy I’ll be sick. Trust in Sam Power.

With pick 25 looking likely for CD, and 32 for Macrae, if we spend anything better than pick 50 for Kennedy I’ll be sick. Trust in Sam Power.
Going into the trade period, I didn’t think Kennedy was a viable option for us, because I thought he would cost more in a trade than Macrae. So if you got 32 for Macrae and got Kennedy for pick 50, you ought to be doing absolute cartwheels.

You’re getting essentially a 3 year younger version of the same player, who probably suits the role you want from them better than Macrae now, and you won’t have to pay him an obscene amount of money to play said role.

Look at their numbers for the year, both playing mostly forward and bit of midfield. Macrae on the left, Kennedy on the right:

IMG_9416.jpeg IMG_9417.jpeg

If we give up 32 for Macrae and get lumped with his $2mil+ contract, and Kennedy was up for grabs on just a modest 1 year deal, for less than 32, I’ll be very displeased.

That would be a shit sandwich for us.

Last edited:
Going into the trade period, I didn’t think Kennedy was a viable option for us, because I thought he would cost more in a trade than Macrae. So if you got 32 for Macrae and got Kennedy for pick 50, you ought to be doing absolute cartwheels.

You’re getting essentially a 3 year younger version of the same player, who probably suits the role you want from them better than Macrae now, and you won’t have to pay him an obscene amount of money to play said role.

Look at their numbers for the year, both playing mostly forward and bit of midfield. Macrae on the left, Kennedy on the right:

View attachment 2143038View attachment 2143039

If we give up 32 for Macrae and get lumped with his $2mil+ contract, and Kennedy was up for grabs on just a modest 1 year deal, for less than 32, I’ll be very displeased.

That would be a shit sandwich for us.
You're not recruiting Macrae as a forward though you are as a midfielder and Macrae is significantly better in that position

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Matthew Kennedy [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back