Toast Matthew Lloyd you are a legend

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=7048

Matthew Lloyd says other AFL clubs will be “wasting their time” should they approach him to play on next season.
As he announced his retirement from Essendon Football Club today, the 31-year-old dismissed speculation that he would play-on elsewhere next season saying he always wanted to be a one-club player.
The club has announced that Lloyd will be recognised in a number of ways including: a special club dinner (with Scott Lucas) in 2010, he will do a lap of honour with other retirees before Saturday's Grand Final and there are talks to have one end of Etihad Stadium named the 'Lloyd end' during Bomber home games
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=7048

Article is worth a read.

Wow, shattered.

Just got out of a seminar to find the great man has hung them up. All the very best in the future Lloyd and thankyou for such a great career. You are a dead set champion of the Essendon football club and the AFL in general.

Hope you get involved with the club in the future.

how it ended?

You mean Lloyd singlehandedly changing the momentum of the game and getting his team into the finals?

I won't forget that!

I actually meant how it ended in terms of all the rubbish discussion about him wanting to play full forward only/Knights not wanting him etc etc etc.

I was at the Hawks/Bombers game - my thoughts at the time were: Lloyd has just sacrificed his career to get Essendon into the finals. I thought that was awesome.

His announcement upset me but he looks like a stronger man now that he's come a long way from being that boy who used to work for the Hoyts Cinemas at Melbourne's HighPoint Shopping Centre.

Even though I wanted him to play on for another year, I started thinking about his daughter, Jaeda, and I have realized that every little boy or girl deserves to have their father with them. He is a father of another child now and it's time to put the boots away and raise a family. I'm sure his wife, Lisa, who's put up with his trips and captaincy since his Grand Final years will be happy have him home more often as well.
I would have liked him to do a lap of hounor in Round 1 and not just at the Grand Final, cos I won't be there. But it makes me happy he'll get the right send off he deserves either way. :thumbsu:

What a legend, and I'll miss him. He was the one I looked up to, and even the non-AFL supporters in my family, and the friends who weren't as into the sport as I was, knew his name and who he was and how much he meant to the Essendon Football Club. I will always cherish the memories, and having those, makes me look forward to what ever he does in the future.

He said he'd love nothing more than to see Matthew Knights coach Essendon to a winning final next year, and that he'd be one of the happiest blokes being there to see it. Let's step up our future stars and DO IT FOR HIM!

Love you Lloyd, a born and bred Bomber! WE WILL NEVER FORGET YOU! :D

926 is the new 1000! :thumbsu:

So where are the apologies for Lloyd and Knights?

So Lloyd isn't a selfish not-gonna-leave-the-goal-square player and Knights was not trying to force Lloyd out.

It came down to Lloyd being done.

legend of the club. i feel that his career achievements have been diminished somewhat by the ridiculous bagging he has copped from jealous opposition supporters.

i think once he's been retired for a few years, everyone will look back on his career, and be in awe with his achievements.

well done lloydy. i remember your first game as a 16/17 yo, and i'll remember your last fondly as well.

thanx matty youll be greatly missed

ive watched my children grow up with them loving you. my 8 year old cried when i told him you retired. sad day indeed. the memories will be treasured.

the mighty velvet sledgehammer

Re: So where are the apologies for Lloyd and Knights?

do you really expect the knights bashers to apologise?

they will probably say that today's events SUPPORT their argument... :rolleyes:

Re: So where are the apologies for Lloyd and Knights?

And if they listened to what i had to say last week they would not look like total **** wits who like sheep followed the media circus that was about as factual as a WW2 German propaganda film.

And a message for all of the opposition supports who continue to say he is a cheat and kicked most of his goals from free kicks.

270 Games 244 frees for 264 frees against.

Probably fitting that Lloyd and Lucas finished on 270 games. One of the best forward combos to have played the game.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy will not be the same without one of its greatest.

Congratulations to Matthew Lloyd for a phantastic career and all the best for whatever he may have in mind for his future !

Yep great career, and well done with all the goals that he kicked. It was a shame how it ended up for him, but all the stats are there to back up a decent career.
I still think that he wouldve been able to get a 2yr gig at Sydney, and play the Micky O role of sitting in the goal square and having a half a dozen posessions and kicking 2 or 3 a game and getting his 1000. They have the $ to get him there, but he probably wouldnt want to move, but its good in a way that he finished as a 1 club player.

A thankyou to 2 Matthews. Firstly to the one who has stood in our goalsquare for so long and given me so many great memories.

The second one (not) to the little blonde one from a crap team with no soul who's inflexibility has cut short the chance for a 1000 goal career - something that doesn't come around very often. I know we're building but you could have left him on the square for another season or 2. The others would still develop - thanks a LOT!!!! :(

Just finished listening to his retirement speech on the AFL website.

Very typical Lloydy........poise, passion, class, humility, confidence.......special!!

What a great of the game he has been!

He's about as close to a man-crush that I've had. Really loved watching him play and will miss him badly. :(

ONYA LLLLLLLLlllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooyyyyyyyyyyddddddddddyyyyyyyy!!!!!!
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

For the record...Thanks for the memories Lloydy. You are a champion of the game.

And you've made the right decision mate. Would have hated to see you go through what Scott did this year. All the best :thumbsu:

Not a bomber man but just wanted to drop by and add to the Lloyd congrats

Matty Lloyd - absolute champion :thumbsu:

his last act in football was completely selfless, ie. basically sacrificing a finals spot for his teammates, that alone is enough to have "Great" added to his career memoirs.

Then there's the rest, including over 900 goals

Brilliant player

LEGEND of the game.
would've loved to see him play on and kick his 1000th goal and to run onto the ground. wish i could have seen him play a farewell game too. the memories he's made and services to the EFC will always be appreciated, a true champion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Matthew Lloyd you are a legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back