Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

If we lose to Carltank; then Scharenberg, McLarty, Brown, Stephenson, Murray, De Goey, Moore, Aish ... hell even Daicos should play every game for the rest of the season. At that point I don’t care if Wells never gets fit enough to play another game for us. Blair and Mayne should be done. Goldsack, bless his heart, should be too.

Win or lose Scharenburg Stephenson Murray De Goey Moore and Aish are already best 22 or close enough to it that it doesnt matter. And Crocker is our leading goalkicker....not quite a best 22 lock but getting the opportunities to become one.

Only a matter of time before McLarty and Brown and Sier join them, bypassing the likes of Cox Reid and Varcoe.

I dont see how losing to Carlton will change selection policy that much at all. We are already pretty much playing the kids and leaving Blair and Mayne in the seconds.

Last edited:
Definitely not a free kick.....just out positioned.

After the umpires got booed off the ground at half time they had no influence in the second half as should be the case.
I thought it was one that would be paid a free kick more often than not, as it was pretty clearly two actions. Use of the forearm to forcefully push Lang do in the middle of the back and under the ball, followed by moving his arms back to mark the ball. It was a brilliant catch in the end, because he had to quickly reposition his arms from Langdons back to the ball drop. It was two actions with the first being a push in the back, albeit with the forearm and not the hands.

He was good yesterday. Reads the ball really well and if just left there will develop well. Didn’t get lost in transition like he did a bit last year. Kicks nicely to and generally makes good decisions.

I am not a Langdon fan to be honest. He has very little confidence in his decision making and kicking. I am going to watch replay and look for how often he goes back and sideways rather than looks at the 45 option.

I also think Langdon is Overrated. Kicks are lot of Up and Unders and Missing there Target

From my vantage point (second level Punt Road) it was a little bit hands on deck backline in this game.....at one stage Crisp was on Patton :eek:

I thought our defense was great even if (not my favourite player Langdon) copped two in a row on Coniglio.

I will re-watch the game because in the third quarter I think they got two fortitudes goals......the only difference is the finished them off by kicking through the big sticks.
Well I think it was the second quarter they got that free goal after the GWS bloke punched the marked ball out of the Pies hands. Who was that Umpire Stevic I think, should have been 50m penalty for knocking the ball away after the mark and we should have had the shot on goal instead. That was the first of several 12 point plays that didn't go out way.

There were definitely 2 or 3 more of those in the 3rd and last quarter while we were still in it.

Langdon is a good average player......once you realize that fact then you can accept his mistakes.

Nothing wrong with being a good average player by the way.

When Coniglio outmarked him in the last and scored that goal I was upset......but when he saved that goal on the line through sheer desperation I liked.

It was an indication of a players character IMO.....Langdon and Shaz will work well together I think.
Good average? He's just average IMO.

W
Tend to agree, TRS, i think we need to add Sier + Wills to that list
We need to get these kids as many games as possible to see if they are keep or move on

However, I have great respect for Wells + Blair and I’d like to see them rotated through the team to mentor the kids during the matches
As such, we keep trying to win matches but expose our kids (and winning is the bonus if it happens)

It scared me (with honesty and realisation) when Leigh Matthews tried to describe where we were at / should he aiming for
Where is wills?
Maybe ill find him here in finland

Not read any of the above but here are my observations after being bitterly disappointed about round 1:

The South Australian boys all redeemed themselves as they absolutely needed to do. Scharenberg looked to me the best he ever has. I don't care what the possession count was but he had the type of energy I wanted to see. He looked like a man, had energy, kicked one or two back but looked like he belonged and more importantly wanted to belong. Aish was very strong in the air again but great tackling and attack on the contest. Yes! Grundy got in the f*cking air and just owned the centre. That's where his tricks should be concentrated.

Treloar is a potentially elite player but his hands are shocking, absolutely terrible. He needs to hit handballs, stick tackles and mark the ball in the air. No-hands=no-good.

Murray has the right approach but needs to take a half-step and a breath. Very good signs though and I feel we have the pace now we thought we needed: Murray, Stephenson, De Goey, Maynard, Brown.

Hoskin-Elliot has gone from clean as a whistle to some very messy stuff. Needs to get it together.

Crocker takes his opportunities so you have to give him his due. I like his threat in the forward line.

I think we need to go with one ruck and the relief, despite the issues post Moore hamstring/finger. Before this week I was for Cox as the solo ruck above Grundy. The latter had a point to prove but we'll see how long it's sustained. Grundy proved though this week he can be the 90% ruck option.

Josh Thomas is giving his all and I like his endeavour but if a Wills steps up I won't mind.

Pendles, Varcoe and Sidebottom a bit down.

Thing I loved most about Shaz on the weekend was the two big tackles he laid. Showed an intent for the ground ball contest that had been missing from his game. 2017 was very much a transition back from injury year and the signs were there on saturday of a developing confidence in his body and ability to hit a contest. Big step forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have always been a Scharenberg fan.....but I also judge the players I think have ability the hardest. This year he must step up for us.

I watched him closely yesterday.

He turned over the ball three times. One was a typical Collingwood kick.

The other two were the hardest option.....I demand that of him this year.

P.S Off topic to the anti Collingwoodites our whole team stood up yesterday. Moore finishes the game we win simple.
Agree he missed a couple of targets by a long way but the overall package was a step forward. I reckon there is also a developing synergy between he and Langdon on the ground. Similar players who would have spent a bit of time together in the rehab group. They seem to look out a bit for each other on the field and I reckon they both could work together especially if the rebound of Murray and Crisp continues to develop

Shaz Dunn Murray
Howe Moore Langdon
Crisp

A developing mix

Definitely not a free kick.....just out positioned.

After the umpires got booed off the ground at half time they had no influence in the second half as should be the case.
It was one to look at. Could have been pinged by a picky umpire as there was two movements and he pushed Langdon forward with his forearms. Wasnt critical of langdon for that one, a strong player with a ball coming over the top left him in a difficult place. Congilio had to play that one well but once he did Langdon was in no mans land.

Thing I loved most about Shaz on the weekend was the two big tackles he laid. Showed an intent for the ground ball contest that had been missing from his game. 2017 was very much a transition back from injury year and the signs were there on saturday of a developing confidence in his body and ability to hit a contest. Big step forward.
I loved it.

And he looking like a man ie traditional from young kid to mature type if you know what I mean.

I thought Langdon was horrible on Saturday. Worst on ground for us and by a mile. His efforts resulted in so many leaked goals i'm confident we would have won had Mihocek or the like played instead. His defensive efforts were limp and ineffectual. His offensive efforts were a turnover liability. He is no longer best 22 imo opinion based on that performance.

I really dont see why people think we need to choose between Langdon and Scharenburg. Both need to prove themselves, if they do that then they are both best 22. Its not a matter of one or the other.
Yeah, makes no sense to compare Langdon to a player not on an AFL list.

I really dont see why people think we need to choose between Langdon and Scharenburg. Both need to prove themselves, if they do that then they are both best 22. Its not a matter of one or the other.

Particularly if they continue to develop Shaz as a tall, which I suspect they will and think they should.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back