Toast Matty Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Only have to look at the goal he kicked in the last quarter against Freo. Laid a hard tackle on Hill, springs up like a scalded cat runs to receive a handball and slots a great goal. He is doing his job each week and has been one of many who have made the step up this season. Crows rookie upgrades continue to bear fruit.:)

I saw Matty on the first training day after he was added to our rookie list. He wasn't overweight but he looked totally different to the other AFL players.

I'm pretty sure he went on holidays to the UK after he was drafted and started pre-season late, so he was probably a fair way behind the pack for that reason, in addition to the fact that he is probably not naturally built for AFL footy.

Hopefully he can keep up the good form long enough for Dwayne Russell to get a new anecdote about him. I'm sick of hearing the story about him getting a bottle smashed on his head. I reckon Dwayne's dragged this one out at least 3 times now.

On a brighter note, I'm enjoying watching Wright at the moment. He seems to be one of our few players to have mastered the "dribble" goal kicking style that is in vogue at the moment. Love his ferocious attack in the forward 50, too.

Beofre the previously mentioned 'bottle incident' in 2007 I knew he was a young gun at the Roosters, he stood out easily. I heard that some talent scouts mentioned he could have gone in the top 40 in the 2007 draft? Not bad then, through misfortune, we got a top 40 draft pick, in the Rookie Draft. Not bad! #gun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember liking him, but wondering what his strength was going to be at AFL level. Did a lot of things right without anything standing out.

I never dreamed he'd become a starting-18 centre square midfielder!!

He's got loads of footy smarts, is exceptionally fit, and is tough as nails. Pretty good combination for a rookie selection! :thumbsu:

Two or three Brownlow votes today?

Arguably our most improved player this year.
He'd be dirty! The best gave of his career and he probably only gets 2 votes!

Matty has been terrific all season long. He had to really work to get his opportunity but when he got into the side this year he has made the most of it. These days he would be amongst the first picked each week!

Its easy to forget that a few years ago he was not sure if he would ever play footy again!

Fair dinkum, that has got to be the most unheralded and epic performance from a guy that most outside of the Crows brethren wouldn't have heard of.... Love his clean silky skills......

Sorry to say folks, bandwagon tickets have now sold out. =D

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Matty Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back