Toast Matty Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm suprised because he was very much a non standout player for north at the start of the year.

Now he stands out but he doesnt if you get what I mean. Might be the most damaging quiet achiever to have played AFL!

I'm suprised because he was very much a non standout player for north at the start of the year.

Now he stands out but he doesnt if you get what I mean. Might be the most damaging quiet achiever to have played AFL!
I am not saying he is as good as Edwards but he gets the job done week in week out with a minimum of fuss and fanfare just like Edwards did for years!

Wright Goes about it in a similar fashion.

I am not saying he is as good as Edwards but he gets the job done week in week out with a minimum of fuss and fanfare just like Edwards did for years!

Wright Goes about it in a similar fashion.

37 disposals would suggest he is as good as Edwards ever was....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C'mon now! Matty is good, in fact very good but he is presently not as good as Edwards was!

No, you are comparing an entire career worth of games to an individuals talent.

Matty could well be a better footballer than Edwards but Edwards could still have the better career.

I'm not underating Edwards - to be honest, Stiffy is pretty spot on.

the basis of my arguement is people like Ladhams, who IMO was a supremely talented footballer - more talented and a better footballer than say, Ian Perrie - but who had the better career?

my point was simply that a great career doesn't make you the better footballer in terms of individual talent - but it does I guess, make you the better footballer in terms of application.

I'm not underating Edwards - to be honest, Stiffy is pretty spot on.

the basis of my arguement is people like Ladhams, who IMO was a supremely talented footballer - more talented and a better footballer than say, Ian Perrie - but who had the better career?

my point was simply that a great career doesn't make you the better footballer in terms of individual talent - but it does I guess, make you the better footballer in terms of application.
But you are comparing apples and oranges. You are right Ladhams was a supremely talented foodballer but lacked the work ethic to reach his potential. Sarge was a limited footballer but he worked his backside off and got the absolute maximum out of his talent.

Edwards was talented but he also had a work ethic to match. You don't play at the high level he did without talent and you certainly don't play 300 games without work ethic. Matty Wright has talent. I don't think he has elite talent but he is a talented footballer who also has a work ethic to make the most out of it. You don't play as well as Matty has without being a talented footballer and you certainly don't come back from where he came from to this point without a great work ethic and belief.

I love how after all this time and notable performances the commentators still manage to get his name wrong:thumbsdown:

Certainly Wright's game today would compare very favourably with some of the best in Edwards' brilliant career.

The thing with Edwards was that you could put 100 games in that category. He just did it so often, so reliably. That's what made him a champion.

Wright is no Edwards, but his form the last month has been right up there with the sort of form Edwards produced, and if he can maintain it then there's no reason he can't be spoken of with the same fervour as Edwards.

Heard Bassett on 5AA basically talking him down. Stuff like "he's not a particularly good kick", "was a good SANFL player but not really a stand out". I find that hard to believe as from the moment he played AFL for the Crows, you could tell he had the skills and polish to become a very good player at senior level.

Heard Bassett on 5AA basically talking him down. Stuff like "he's not a particularly good kick", "was a good SANFL player but not really a stand out". I find that hard to believe as from the moment he played AFL for the Crows, you could tell he had the skills and polish to become a very good player at senior level.
What Bass said is correct! Wright in SANFL was a good player but not better than the rest of the SANFL's best. He is not someone that stands out as something special. He is not a great kick but as Bassett said, he makes the right decision which enables him to have more allowable margin for error than a lot of other players. As Bass said, its a real credit to AFC for identifying his strengths and putting him in a position to succeed.

When you look at Matty Wright he doesn't jump out at you as anything special. Not a great size, not particularly quick, not a smooth player, not a great kick BUT he is smart and just gets it done! That's all that Bassett was saying!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Matty Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back