Toast Max Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved Robbie. What a player

Only ever saw highlights and read what past players have to say and they all rated him highly.
I think he tends be forgotten because he played for a team that had very little success. Many of his finest performances were never broadcast (often billed for the bigger clubs at the time).
If you check out his stats, nearly 20 disposals & 5 marks per game as a winger in that era is ridiculously good.

Only ever saw highlights and read what past players have to say and they all rated him highly.
I think he tends be forgotten because he played for a team that had very little success. Many of his finest performances were never broadcast (often billed for the bigger clubs at the time).
If you check out his stats, nearly 20 disposals & 5 marks per game as a winger in that era is ridiculously good.
Back in the day 'interstate games' Vic vs WA and Vic vs SA were the real highlight games of the calendar with some of the very best players from around the country playing and Robbie Flower was nearly always BOG or near to it in those games, that's how good a player he was, one of the very best and a champion and for many years was my favourite non Geelong player.

Last edited:
Some of those marks are incredible. I know he was light but he obviously had brilliant hops. I recall having a chat to Neville Bruns a few years ago and Flower was one of those players he spoke about when it came to aerial craftsmanship (Ablett notably mentioned).
This is why he'd make a top line player in today's game. 6ft'1 and could run all day like Lachie Whitfield.

You would think his game would be perfectly suited to today.
Likewise Robert Flower.
Loved Robbie. What a player
They were both exceptionally skilled, quick, beautiful marks, and could kick both feet. I think they both used left hand to bounce. And virtually same height and weight, 183cm, 75kg, Turner being 9months older

Last edited:
If he puts in the body of work James Kelly did he will go past both he and Turner by some way as our bestest #9. I can see a Holmes-Humphries taking over Dangerfield-Stewart in the captaincy stakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Max Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back