Maybe we haven't drafted as well as we think

Remove this Banner Ad

Say someone was drafted into the lions from Perth and they really wanted to play for the eagles or freo, theyre not going to be 100% loyal to your club are they?

Say someone is drafted from Perth to the lions and became 100% comitted to the club eg. Simon Black

Say someone is drafted from Brisbane to the lions and wanted to play footy in another state/for another club, they're not going to be 100% comitted to the club eg. Jason Akermanis

There are plenty of factors involved.

but then do you demand loyalty to your club from your drafted player? Say someone was drafted into the lions from Perth and they really wanted to play for the eagles or freo, theyre not going to be 100% loyal to your club are they?

These are all pointless hypotheticals.

Simon Black, Luke Power, Jonathan Brown, Tim Notting, Chris Johnson, Brad Scott, Chris Scott, Justin Leppitsch, Jed Adcock, Matthew Leuenberger...

Get the picture?

You ALWAYS pick the best talent... geography should only factor in genuine 50/50 scenarios.

David Armitage was the most highly regarded Queensland talent in the 2006 superdraft, Queensland born and raised, moved to Brisbane to play for Morningside... worked in the Brisbane Lions shop and could often be seen watching the Lions training.

Who was he desperate to play for....

He didn't care... as long as they were a Melbourne club.

Food for thought.

but then do you demand loyalty to your club from your drafted player? Say someone was drafted into the lions from Perth and they really wanted to play for the eagles or freo, theyre not going to be 100% loyal to your club are they?

I'm not sure picking inferior players is a better alternative to being stuck with inferior players after you lose good players to the go home factor.

Most of our best players are non-Qlders. If we only drafted locally, we would be worse than Carlton.

Interesting to see where this thread has gone to, once again i am not knocking drafting Luey and Henderson, they have added to a strength, the thread was only started because we have been calling out for clearance players and a crumbing forward and we by passed a few quality options in the draft.

I think that we have drafted exceptionally well in the last few years. We are now suffering the pain of having late draft choices, imo not a bad pain for four consecutive grand finals.

I applaud theclub for its drafting strategy, during the period that period and since. We have a well stocked cupboad of KPP, now not all of those are going to be a success but i think that with the talent that we have on teh books right now that we already have a damn good spine for the next decade.

In addition we have found a new geneartion of midfielders, the one that stands out the most is obviously Adcock.

The next level players like Sherman and Riska have had a few years in the system and need to stand up and make way. Whilst these two have fallen away a bit rencetly they have both had significant interest from other clubs.

The level below that has Proud, Hooper, Begley and Stiller still too early to tell but have shown promise.

This is before we even get to the untried rookies and second years players.

I always think that the draft is getting the best bang for your buck and i think that we would be right up their in the league for conistently achieving that goal.

I think that we have drafted exceptionally well in the last few years. We are now suffering the pain of having late draft choices, imo not a bad pain for four consecutive grand finals.

I applaud theclub for its drafting strategy, during the period that period and since. We have a well stocked cupboad of KPP, now not all of those are going to be a success but i think that with the talent that we have on teh books right now that we already have a damn good spine for the next decade.

In addition we have found a new geneartion of midfielders, the one that stands out the most is obviously Adcock.

The next level players like Sherman and Riska have had a few years in the system and need to stand up and make way. Whilst these two have fallen away a bit rencetly they have both had significant interest from other clubs.

The level below that has Proud, Hooper, Begley and Stiller still too early to tell but have shown promise.

I always think that the draft is getting the best bang for your buck and i think that we would be right up their in the league for conistently achieving that goal.

Pretty much sums up my view too. Good post.

I join ceebee and TBD in praise of your post Charles. I have highlighted the first part as that just about sums up my feelings as pain that some now feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are all pointless hypotheticals.

Simon Black, Luke Power, Jonathan Brown, Tim Notting, Chris Johnson, Brad Scott, Chris Scott, Justin Leppitsch, Jed Adcock, Matthew Leuenberger...

Get the picture?

You ALWAYS pick the best talent... geography should only factor in genuine 50/50 scenarios.

David Armitage was the most highly regarded Queensland talent in the 2006 superdraft, Queensland born and raised, moved to Brisbane to play for Morningside... worked in the Brisbane Lions shop and could often be seen watching the Lions training.

Who was he desperate to play for....

He didn't care... as long as they were a
Melbourne club.

Food for thought.

Is that true BD? I never heard this before.

Is that true BD? I never heard this before.

Would have happily played for Brisbane if we drafted him, but was hopeful that he'd wind up in Melbourne.

Wanted to be immersed in the footy culture.

Would have happily played for Brisbane if we drafted him, but was hopeful that he'd wind up in Melbourne.

Wanted to be immersed in the footy culture.

Where the hell are all these homesick QLD's i've been hoping for? Enough have been drafted for F's sake!!!

Where the hell are all these homesick QLD's i've been hoping for? Enough have been drafted for F's sake!!!
I reckon the culture has a lot to do with it.

Look at all the Qld rugby league players wanting to come back home.

I would imagine it would be hard to leave a place like Melbourne where you are just surrounded by football. There are about 35 non-Lions Qlders out there so you would hope a couple of them find their way home.

Oh dear... Chicken Little much?

We simply don't have an answer for the Swans gameplan, alot of teams struggle with it.

But calling for a new coach based on that? You sure you aren't a Richmond supporter.

New coaches with new ideas have done the Demons, Saints and Blues the world of good, haven't they!

Oh wait.
For the last couple of seasons Leigh seems to be coaching with 1 plan, plan A. There doesn't seem to be a plan B. I hate how we have the least amount of interchanges as well.

I think its obvious we need a couple of speedy mids who can use the ball well, in these next couple of drafts- Black, power and Lappin are not getting any younger.

I wish we still had Wood too, i think at times this year even with a fully fit Charmo and Luey, were still going to get smashes in the Ruck/ Centre clearances. So maybe another Ruck prospect might be on the cards too.

Look everyone can use a couple of speedy mids -- like everyone can use a pay rise and an extra two weeks holiday -- but that wasn't our problem on Saturday.

Sydney are a big bodied side. Kirk, Goodes, Bolton, O'Keefe -- none of them are will-o-the-wisp speed demons, but they hang heavy over the ball. That's exactly what they did to Burgoyne, Boak, Pearce, Surjan and co the week before (and Choco got sucked into using Kane Cornes' physicalilty in the backline while his midfield was mauled!).

Since Voss, Pike and the Scott's moved on we don't have that brutal strength over the ball. Our more mature guys are more natural runners -- Black, Power, Lappin, Notting -- and our potentially powerful ball players -- Adcock, Proud, Rischa and Sherman -- are not quite there physically and/or mentally yet.

Hadley, our only other genuinely big bodied option, walked out on us.

That's exactly the reason Brown goes in there when we get into trouble.

This will also be a big problem against the Cats, but it won't be such a big issue against most sides. Most sides are drafting toward skill (Pendelbury, Griffen) and speed (Lovett, Thomas) rather than power and strength.

Having said that, we do need one or more of Rischa, Sherman, Mills, Dalziell or Schmidt (maybe even Collier) to deliver some physical grunt in the guts.

Just adding to that, of the two sides we've struggled against over the past 5 years, we're currently much closer to matching West Coast's extreme run 'n' carry waves than Sydney's prison yard brawl. The Swans are happy to slug it out in packs until there's either another ballup, or they've knocked enough blokes over that they have the extra numbers they need to control the ball. We can't win that game ATM.

Short of the Berger able to start chopping clean taps to runners in space, I can't see a short term answer to us getting enough ball in those inevitable Sydney scrums.

i think you guys have done better out of the draft through your period of dominance than what we (essendon) managed to do from 99-2001. in fact, we missed out consistently with our picks right up to about 2004, and this has now left us with a list that has heaps of quality in the 30-ish age bracket, and very very promising players below 21, but hardly anyone of any ability in the middle group (mcphee and mcveigh the exceptions)!! yes, sherman rischa etc are down a bit at the moment, but at least you have 4-5 year players available. we are relying on ryder, Jetta, Houli, myers, reimers etc to fast-track themselves, and they are starting to get injured as a result. brisbane will be ok over the length of the season imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe we haven't drafted as well as we think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back