Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity đź‘Ť

Really simple solution. Let Maynard hang from a bar and Liam Ryan can relive what he did in a grand final. Then, if Maynard can get over it, he can play in the rest of the finals.

Just a quick question for the posters . If Maynard jumped like that but it was one of his team mates he was going to collide with instead of Brayshaw do you think he drops the shoulder or puts his hands out ?

Is his team mate potentially going to do what Liam Ryan did to him in 2018 GF?

If the answer to that is yes, then yes I do.

He's cognitively set and plays in an aggressive player so that was his reaction to turn his body

I wasn't and post smother as mentioned would have put my hands out in front of me to protect my body and head from colliding

Everyone is wired and reacts differently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brilliant summary of the circumstances Maynard placed himself in leading to him having no control of his body and outcome…

Some might say recklessly.

Yet last time I checked a player jumping in the air and hitting someone is a charge according to the rulebook, even if both players could not avoid contact.

I have been trying to take emotion out of this but where does duty of care come in, or does it really exist?

Actually, he flew at an opponent, as he was in the air.

It is going to the tribunal, that we can all agree on.

The outcome is where we differ.
Does it matter?

You can't make forceful contact with a player after the ball is gone.
Maynard has every right to brace and protect his rib cage and kidneys/liver.

Maynard can not change his flight path mid air, the only one who had that opportunity was Brayshaw when he saw Maynard come at him and then much much smaller window straight after kicking it.
If the contact is illegal, the bracing for that contact is not a reasonable action.
What's scary is plebs thinking in a contact game there shouldn't be contact, and that the onus is on the opponent to look after you!

It's actually laughable.
Late, high, severe. Open and shut, unless you've got the goggles on.

It’s honestly terrible for our game if we are banning players who are going for the ball and as a result accidentally hurting others.

Imagine he was trying to take a speccy and Brayshaw got knocked out. We won’t be having this discussion at all.

This was a genuine play for the ball and an accident happened. It’s an accident no need to do anything further.
If he was going for a speccy and adjusted his body while staring at a defenceless opponent and while coming down to land and knocked him out, yeah that should cop the same punishment

Ex Collingwood player*

Who sent Maynard to the tribunal. So you look like a dickhead thinking Christian would somehow protect Maynard.

"The Match Review Officer and executive general manager of football Laura Kane graded the incident as careless conduct, severe impact and high contact, drawing a minimum three-match ban and means Maynard's season could be over."

Remove this Banner Ad

Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

Back