McBean

Remove this Banner Ad

- He doesn't play a physical brand

- He wouldn't be on a monster playing as a 3rd tall anyway

He'll learn more at afl level, but wait until the final third of the seas when finals are either likely or ruled out. I don't want to risk him having 5 touches in a match we lose by a goal when someone like Aaron Edwards could've kicked a couple and got us the 4 points to potentially be the difference between finishing 8th and 9th!

I liked his game at Coburg last weekend,good kick at goal but wouldnt want him to be hurt.He needs to build up a little bit but he is an exciting player.

Totally agree harimal12, let him continue to play consistently high level games and build his frame to 100 kegs, then unleash the beast !!

McBean said in pre-season that he's been on the Todd Elton diet

hsd4Kgz.jpg

XLoy5ok.jpg

I don't think he needs to put on that much weight. Pace & agility are two of his main assetts.

Let's look after this young man and give him the time he needs to develop his body. He looks a ripper, but let's be cautious and reap the benefits for a decade or more.

I don't see this as a McDonough / Arnot or McBean discussion. One or both of McDonough and Arnot could be given a go but they will be in different positions/roles than McBean. Arnot as I see it is limited to the midfielder rotation role. McDonough can play forward or potentially as a minor midfield rotation player. McBean is clearly a tall, albeit agile forward. Given his agility he could play 3rd tall but this would need to be managed as to opposition and structure.

I don't understand why all the cotton wool.
He is on the list because he can play and because we expect him to play.
And has shown he can do it better than others on our list for the same position.

Give him a game.
He is 93kg or something, and not exactly a midget
It is not like he is currently playing against under 18's.

McBean is 93kg, Jeremy Cameron from GWS is 89 kg. Cameron is also skinny and is managing quite well having played 16 games in 2012 and all 9 in 2013.

I say play McBean for at least one game and see how he goes. No team can hold three gun forwards. Playing McBean could mean Jack kicks more goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK - I wanted Richmond to select this kid since mid 2012 and was over the moon when his name was read out in november.

Liam McBean will be a GUN - He will provide a hell of alot more right now than what Luke McGuane does
If anybody has watched any of his games at VFL level where he is currently playing against Hacks will understand that he would be better of playing AFL than VFL where he is more likely to get 'Wrecked" as somebody has put it.

This kid has the capability to become anything & with Tyrone Vickery in the same team the opposition clubs will be extremely worried about our foward line --------- Ohhh And this Kid can also play defence very well so is extremely versatile

PLAY THE KID

OK - I wanted Richmond to select this kid since mid 2012 and was over the moon when his name was read out in november.

Liam McBean will be a GUN - He will provide a hell of alot more right now than what Luke McGuane does
If anybody has watched any of his games at VFL level where he is currently playing against Hacks will understand that he would be better of playing AFL than VFL where he is more likely to get 'Wrecked" as somebody has put it.

This kid has the capability to become anything & with Tyrone Vickery in the same team the opposition clubs will be extremely worried about our foward line --------- Ohhh And this Kid can also play defence very well so is extremely versatile

PLAY THE KID
You make a really good point regarding the VFL being just as physically demanding for a guy his size as the AFL. The AFL is a different game now, players won't be running through him, or sliding into his twigs like in the good old days of 2010-11. The real concern is his ability to compete against quality big men with bigger frames. Whether his ground level skills and footy nous are enough to get a game is the question, but I'm not sure he has the defensive game or tank to roll with the zone and tackle all day.

Is it time to play McBean? Or should we cotton ball him until next year? Kids got game but he ain't got frame, it's a real shame. Sorry listening to Eminem
Looks a bit thin to me, play him in the magoos for another two years and a 10 kilo weight would help him a lot.

Just on the topic of McBean, does anyone actually think he will develop into a 'key position' forward? I absolutely love his work at Coburg and am of the opinion he will be a very good player, but to me he seems like what Dean Putt was meant to become, a 200cm wingman/half forward flanker in the justin westhoff mould. He has great agility, skills and speed for a big man, but all his goals at coburg seem to be snaps or on the run, I haven't yet seen him take a big pack mark or any contested marks for that matter but then again I don't have that much knowledge on his game to comment.
Just from what I've seen so far, I'm not sure he will ever have the strength or game to play on 100kg+ key position players at afl level, which is not necessarily a bad thing, just different for such a tall player.

Just on the topic of McBean, does anyone actually think he will develop into a 'key position' forward? I absolutely love his work at Coburg and am of the opinion he will be a very good player, but to me he seems like what Dean Putt was meant to become, a 200cm wingman/half forward flanker in the justin westhoff mould. He has great agility, skills and speed for a big man, but all his goals at coburg seem to be snaps or on the run, I haven't yet seen him take a big pack mark or any contested marks for that matter but then again I don't have that much knowledge on his game to comment.
Just from what I've seen so far, I'm not sure he will ever have the strength or game to play on 100kg+ key position players at afl level, which is not necessarily a bad thing, just different for such a tall player.
Will takeover Vickery's role one way or the other.

McBean is 93kg, Jeremy Cameron from GWS is 89 kg. Cameron is also skinny and is managing quite well having played 16 games in 2012 and all 9 in 2013.

I say play McBean for at least one game and see how he goes. No team can hold three gun forwards. Playing McBean could mean Jack kicks more goals

Is that current weight? I have heard that he has put on, i think the number was 6 or 9 kg this year since we picked him up...the same source;) suggested his source has told him that Mr Bean used to towel up Joe Daniher at will back in their junior days..so look out;)

As in Vickery goes into the ruck full time? Imo Vickery is more adept at taking a key position post than McBean will be.
Vickery will go either way x3
#1 Ruck
CHF
Out The Door.

Mcbean atm would make a perfect 2nd ruck with his agility,That may change in time though as he gets older.

Vickery will go either way x3
#1 Ruck
CHF
Out The Door.

Mcbean atm would make a perfect 2nd ruck with his agility,That may change in time though as he gets older.

Obviously not the thread to be discussing it but think you are very harsh on vickery. 22 year old 200cm player who has had an acl and shoulder problems that is outperforming 80-90% of key position players his age.

Remove this Banner Ad

McBean

Remove this Banner Ad

Back