MCC Experiences

Remove this Banner Ad

"I know now why this is such a honour to be a member of the MCC."

Completely disagree with this statement. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Would probably suit well for a theatre-goer, but I can't imagine too many avid footy fans enjoying the membership for what it is, withstanding the fact that they waited 15+ years to get there.

Especially at the MCG, where tickets are rediculously easy to come by in comparison to Etihad - the AFL membership offers a more convenient package for the season, and for September as well. Better than most of what the MCC offers.

Good effort by Joseph, nevertheless. :thumbsu:

I don't know if this should be filed under 'Brutally honest sports writing', personally. Why is watching the game behind the goals with the "true supporters" better than the MCC, specifically (not saying I agree or disagree; I've really only got one perspective)? Everything I've read from this guy is way too vanilla, too many irrelevant points and I find myself zoning out after about a paragraph.

I don't know how many "true supporters" would describe their meal as including a "truly delectable dessert" either. You can buy a meat pie in the MCC, if you know what you're doing.

Very few MCC Members avail themselves of the Dining Room, and those that do would do so once a year. It is not a typical MCC experience. Most Members sit in their seats eating take away food. The only difference is alcohol which they drink in the bars rather than at their seats. Less than 5% of MCC Members wear a suit - only the Dining Room Long Room and Committee Room require it.

It (the MCC Dining Room) is like comparing a Corporate Box to sitting in the outer. Its a different although infrequent way of watching the game.

Drinking pots in the bull ring and watching the game in the standing area of the pavillon with my mates :thumbsu:

Pre-development of course, great memories of a great club.

I enjoy feeling more superior than Jeff Kennet who sits very close to the fence of the mcc so he can feel apart of it, when he really isnt.
I am not sure if you mean he is or is not a member. I will presume you mean he is not a member and wants to feel like a member :p.

This however is very false. Him and (what I presume is) his whole family are all members and you see them at most Hawks home games after the match having a few drinks at the PB bar on level 2.

I think that there is a minority football lover that doesn't like a pie and enjoys a nice meal in a relaxed, clean and conservative atmosphere. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and every team in the world has something similar, be it a membership or club within the club.

It's definitely not for me, but I think anyone on a list to be an MCC member is there because part of them wants to be part of, or at least experience, that culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the Cricket last year in one of the bistro type sit downs and asked if I could get a bread role with my pasta. The chick rudely went on to explain that that would be like me expecting to receive a bread roll with a pie in the outer. Umm ... yeah.

Very few MCC Members avail themselves of the Dining Room, and those that do would do so once a year. It is not a typical MCC experience. Most Members sit in their seats eating take away food. The only difference is alcohol which they drink in the bars rather than at their seats. Less than 5% of MCC Members wear a suit - only the Dining Room Long Room and Committee Room require it.

It (the MCC Dining Room) is like comparing a Corporate Box to sitting in the outer. Its a different although infrequent way of watching the game.

spot on

Drinking pots in the bull ring and watching the game in the standing area of the pavillon with my mates :thumbsu:

Pre-development of course, great memories of a great club.

good times..... :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Definatly getting soft in my old age - love being able to stand in one of the warm bars and knock back pints watching the game when its freezing during winter.

I hate sitting in the outer to be honest.

The MCC for me is beer in a glass, the best seat on centre wing, and watching the game with a relatively good natured crowd.

Most members only use the dining room and the Long Room twice or three times a year, but most people use the bars every week, and it's a good place to watch the footy with mates.

The role of footy in the ongoing success of the cricket club was well demonstrated yesterday when the crowd cheered a golden duck for local boy Cam White - where are the cricket loving members?

In the first one-day international for the season at the MCG, the loudest cheer in the early stages of the Australian innings came when Victoria captain Cameron White was bowled for a golden duck.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...s-away-fans-rule/story-e6frg7mf-1225947503211

The role of footy in the ongoing success of the cricket club was well demonstrated yesterday when the crowd cheered a golden duck for local boy Cam White - where are the cricket loving members?

You just dont get it.

The word "cricket" is just that. A word. Just like football is allegedly played at cricket ground. Its just a word. It means squat.

It could just as easily be called the Melbourne Large Stadium in Jolimont Club. But that would be a little clumsy.

90% of MCC Members are there because of the football. Cricket is rooted. The MCC will live on despite that because they pay their subs to see the footy.

I had never been to the MCC up until 2009 when I started full time professional work. Just so happens that many of my colleagues are full MCC members and I was fortunate to be invited to the Round 22 Essendon vs Hawks (2009) game - got Level 2 seats right on centre wing and a pass to the Frank Grey Smith bar - best time I've ever had at the footy :thumbsu:

Needless to say, I've now joined the waiting list and rueing the fact that my parents never signed me up at birth or as a child.

You just dont get it.

The word "cricket" is just that. A word. Just like football is allegedly played at cricket ground. Its just a word. It means squat.

It could just as easily be called the Melbourne Large Stadium in Jolimont Club. But that would be a little clumsy.

90% of MCC Members are there because of the football. Cricket is rooted. The MCC will live on despite that because they pay their subs to see the footy.

Yep, I find joining a cricket club to get a favoured position at the football as elitism of the worst kind.

When Pies supporters pay around the $900 per season to get a grand final spot IF the Pies make it and cricket club members enjoy the same benefit at a 40% discount & can go regardless of who competes, Timmy, I understand your enjoyment, but it is very selfish when cricket club types get a gig at the Grand Final at the expense of members of competing clubs.

Equally I understand AFL members able to claim a discount on club membership with a better chance of a GF seat would be squealing like a stuck pig IF their privilege was extinguished.

The members of competing clubs need a better shake, as many as possible should get seats at a Grand Final ... pure & simple, fans in, elitists out !!

If you want to join a cricket club fine, but it should not entitle you to a seat at the footy, let alone a grand final that is the #1 sporting occasion in our fair land.

Yep, I find joining a cricket club to get a favoured position at the football as elitism of the worst kind.

When Pies supporters pay around the $900 per season to get a grand final spot IF the Pies make it and cricket club members enjoy the same benefit at a 40% discount & can go regardless of who competes, Timmy, I understand your enjoyment, but it is very selfish when cricket club types get a gig at the Grand Final at the expense of members of competing clubs.

Equally I understand AFL members able to claim a discount on club membership with a better chance of a GF seat would be squealing like a stuck pig IF their privilege was extinguished.

The members of competing clubs need a better shake, as many as possible should get seats at a Grand Final ... pure & simple, fans in, elitists out !!

If you want to join a cricket club fine, but it should not entitle you to a seat at the footy, let alone a grand final that is the #1 sporting occasion in our fair land.

Um.. but the members own the ground. So if AFL wants to get more of their own members into games, they need to either a) buy it, or b) build there own 100,000 seat stadium in the middle of the city.

Otherwise the MCC members (stadium owners) are perfectly entitled to set aside as many seats for themselves as is commercially viable in my opinion.

The Government should put the management rights to public tender as it MUST all other similar arrangements.
There would be pain tossing the MCC out (it does NOT own the ground, it manages the facility), but with the plumbing fiasco during the Finals & an inability to ticket professionally & fill its space at our #1 sporting event, doubts exist over their professional competence running the stadium into the future.

The arms length nature of the MCG Trust relationship with the MCC should be examined given it gifts the Melbourne Cricket Club $millions each year. These are taxpayers funds & the Trust is not held to account.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back