MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

You gotta have that membership waiting list like the Eagles. Keep 'em hungry.

Stupid. Stadiums in SA and WA should be minimum 80k. I was surprised when I found out the new Perth stadium was only 60k with capacity to expand to 70k. Stupid.

There are other threads which cover these issues and go into great detail. Best to discuss them there rather than clogging up another thread. Basically it all comes down to AFL/MCC paying for much of the G's development over the years on the understanding their members get access, you can't just renege on those deals. The MCC in particular took on hundreds of millions of debt for the Ponsford/Olympic redev.
But seriously. You can re-negotiate any deal. Thats exactly what they have done.

Send out a letter to MCC members. As part of the deal keeping the GF at the MCG forever and a day we have re-negotiated GF access. You now have to buy a ticket, with preference going to competing club support. And we are letting in the elite members from non vic clubs. Dont worry, they probably earn more than you do. Dont like it, bye. We have a 50 year waiting list. :)

It's a national VICTORIAN competition, sucked in you interstate posers!!!! Look at last year's result - played at the mcg Richmond win by 40, played in Adelaide, Adelaide win by 40. Nah, it's a neutral ground..classic afl sucker punch to our interstate numpties. Thanks for all of your cash but your state isn't worthwhile of holding a final.

To be fair. Queenslanders have been complaining about it since Super League.
Vics have been requesting to. Hell back in 2000 your Premier wanted an SOO team.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Fair enough. But the league ignores them in favour of what is best for the competition. Just like the AFL.

The other state governments could easily of made an offer to the afl to move the grand final or facilities yet they didn’t. Victorian government put the money where their mouths are. Loving the salt delicious
It'll give all those isis loving melbournians something to aim for...BOOM

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. But the league ignores them in favour of what is best for the competition. Just like the AFL.
Its not whats best for the comp though.

They are sticking with what they believe is their powerbase.

They are terrified of anothe League war or similar.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah I know that's what I said

You said rugby which is rugby union. If you didn't know that then I doubt you have had many conversations with supporters about where the NRL GF should be played. As has been stated, Qld have wanted it for years and I fully support Qld, Victoria or NZ having the opportunity to host the GF.

As this is an AFL forum and the thread is about the AFL GF then that's what I commented on.

If I was on a NRL forum and discussing the NRL GF, then I would state, "For those considering to start supporting the NRL just remember that if you don't live in NSW you are unlikely to see a GF in your home state."

Let's get real about capacity. NSW, WA, SA and QLD could build 120,000 seat stadium's each and the GF would still be going nowhere.

That's rubbish, the AFL would follow the best option for themselves, if it was worth their while they would have at the very least installed a rotation system of one in every 5 or so years it was away from the MCG.

Problem is for that to happen you're talking about a stadium that covers the AFL's ticket allocation on GF day (77.5k once the MCC is discounted), plus incentives. Perth stadium is nearly 20k short of that mark and with it expected to last at least 30 years in its current form, extending the current deal really doesn't change the likelihood of the GF being played there over that period.

If the WA government were legitimately thinking Grand Finals when they built their new venue, then in Perth Stadium they were effectively bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Still, this latest move really does f*** even the 2058 potential bids, 110k is even tougher to compete with.

Fully agree. There is no way for one supporter to make any difference. Then self interest comes into it and you just go about your business after the initial outrage.

Personally I had outrage for about 2 minutes then meh.

The thing I truly don't understand is the 2 new teams in QLD/NSW. Why would the AFL introduce these teams in attempt to make the AFL truly national, then come out and make a decision, at least 10 years earlier than needed, which flies in the face of truly national interest. It's a decision you would expect from a pork barreling political party rather than a supposed national sporting body. It's weird timing and if I was cynical I might think there is a bit of kickback/bonus in play.

It's fairly obvious that it happened because right now the AFL want a lot of money from the Victorian state government (in an election year when everyone is chading it), money for Docklands that is harder to get because they own Etihad instead of it being publicly owned. The GF announcement (along with AFLW-related upgrades) helps offset the negativity such a move would bring.

Adelaide and Perth are locked into their current stadiums until close to 2050, and once Homebush goes rectangular Sydney won't have a football venue of above 50k. In the end the AFL aren't really giving anything away that they wouldn't have eventually, they're just cashing in earlier.

You are straight up embarrassing yourself. You should change your name to Captain Obvious.

Take that 1994 side and train them under today's regime and then see how you go. The great West Coast sides were brimming with talent. No gripes with the Tigers winning the flag last year but you need to drop this one.

The '94 Eagles side wouldn't get past ASADA.

Still, whilst it's a fun discussion, comparing eras is ultimately just a dick measuring exercise. You beat who you're up against, because after 10-15 years even the dynasties would get beaten up by the top teams of the current day. I consider the Lions threepeat side to be 'better' than the Hawks threepeat, but if they played straight up, Hawthorn would shred them with their kicking and choke them with their defensive structures and pressure. The game evolves beyond what was once 'elite', so be it.

It w

It was the Southern Stand demolition and re-build in 1991/92. Only one Grand Final had to be moved, this new project looks to be a little more complicated, i reckon they will be out of action for two Grand Finals. Perth and Adelaide may yet get their chance?

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't in the unmentioned fine print of the deal, at least one GF will be at 55-60k. When the GSS gets rebuilt in 10 years, Andrews won't be Premier and won't have to be held accountable for a deal made now. :p

It's fairly obvious that it happened because right now the AFL want a lot of money from the Victorian state government (in an election year when everyone is chading it), money for Docklands that is harder to get because they own Etihad instead of it being publicly owned. The GF announcement (along with AFLW-related upgrades) helps offset the negativity such a move would bring.

Adelaide and Perth are locked into their current stadiums until close to 2050, and once Homebush goes rectangular Sydney won't have a football venue of above 50k. In the end the AFL aren't really giving anything away that they wouldn't have eventually, they're just cashing in earlier.

Fully agree, but it flies in the face of the bullshit equalisation they have been pushing for the last 20 years.

CEO bonus tied up. Tick
Political parties pork barreling in election year. Tick.

Continue on supporting our clubs regardless. Tick. Tick. Tick.

In all seriousness we may see a mass walkout from interstate fans, they might just snub the league!

Interstate supporters, thoughts? Are you gonna stay true to your club or give a big up yours to HQ?

I will give the AFL an up yours, like all supporters I am addicted and will stick with my own club but I wont watch non Sydney games any more and if enough people feel the same way there will be an impact.

Even when I am in Melbourne with nothing to do I wouldn't go to a match now unless they make this right with some type of compensation for all non Melbourne teams.

Before you mention Academies the AFL had already commited to grand finals for 20+ years at the MCG and we all know academies are not going to last or worse will be expanded to all teams.

If the AFL want to repair some of the damage they have done then bare minimum they must immediately give Adelaide teams their own academies and the AFL should pay for them.

The other state governments could easily of made an offer to the afl to move the grand final or facilities yet they didn’t. Victorian government put the money where their mouths are. Loving the salt delicious

Yeah because it's all about money and not about fairness? I suppose then if Clive Palmer offered the AFL a billion dollars for the Tigers to play all their games in in some bogan town in Queensland you wouldn't have a problem with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

Back