Medhurst & Callan

Remove this Banner Ad

BigCat1 said:
2 rumours mentioned by SEN. Anthony Hudson I think

Medhurst to Geelong for ???
Callan to StKilda for ???

I can't really see the value in Medhurst either. Remember the GFC v Freo game we won this season? Medhurst was s***canned by the commentators, and the commentators were Freo biased!

Reg Hickey said:
Why would we want Medhurst??

He's just another version of Thurley.He's okay in patches across half forward/forward pocket,but can't play midfield.

We've got Jr,Chappy,Dog,Vegas & Stokes that can all play half forward/forward pocket and play in the midfield.No need for Medhurst.

JUBJUB said:
He's just another version of Thurley.He's okay in patches across half forward/forward pocket,but can't play midfield.

We've got Jr,Chappy,Dog,Vegas & Stokes that can all play half forward/forward pocket and play in the midfield.No need for Medhurst.
I guess the thinking is because Dog gets injured so much, they need a marking medium forward in there.

It would allow for Chappy and Gaz to play more in the middle as well.

Wouldn't be against it if it didn't cost much in compensation.

Not a fan of Medhurst, always seemed like a bit of a tool, and goes missing too often. Although I remember him kicking a bag of 7 a while back...which would make him a fair bit better than Thurley.

Interesting, Geelong officially declared Steve Johnson is for trade (along with Playfair) which might have something to do with our chasing of Medhurst.

BigCat1 said:
2 rumours mentioned by SEN. Anthony Hudson I think

Medhurst to Geelong for ???
Callan to StKilda for ???

Tim Callan needs a new start - St K would suit him - good kid but one of too many vying for midfield positions. Do not write off Medhurst - he is articulate, like Judd, (without his amazing talent) and stands for no nonsense from the media - as a result gets stick from them. He has a good, straight and amazingly long kick - and don't we need someone like this!!! Maybe just another bit of waffle associated with trade week, though. Bradshaw is too expensive!

IMHO Medhurst plays more like a key forward than a crumber and is nothing like Thurly. I think he would give us just as much as Bradshaw without having to give up any where near as much. He also wouldn't be competeing for game time with Nathan And Tomahawk like Bradshaw would.
As for Callen good couragous , honest player who hasn't really established himself , if he goes then good luck to him.
Say yes to Medhurst.

Rustybugles said:
Tim Callan needs a new start - St K would suit him - good kid but one of too many vying for midfield positions. Do not write off Medhurst - he is articulate, like Judd, (without his amazing talent) and stands for no nonsense from the media - as a result gets stick from them. He has a good, straight and amazingly long kick - and don't we need someone like this!!! Maybe just another bit of waffle associated with trade week, though. Bradshaw is too expensive!

Tim Callan is not a midfielder, in any way, shape or form. He is a small defender. He's also unlucky he doesn't get more senior opportunities. Be disappointed to see him go if it transpires.

Paul Medhurst has talent, but is also lazy, selfish and horribly inconsistent. He might be the most eloquent player in the league, that's not why he gets baked in the press. He simply doesn't perform often enough. Do you think it's a coincidence that Freo started winning consistently once he got dropped?

Medhurst??? Please say this is a joke.

Geelong declares that Steve Johnson is available for trade, then possibly goes after Medhurst.

I would like anyone out there to explain to me how Medhurst could be considered a better player than Steve Johnson.

Medhurst is incredibly inconsistent, he goes missing when tagged, he plays for free kicks, he's shorter than SJ and a much poorer overhead mark, he doesn't have the fitness to run in the midfield.

Please tell me that this rumour is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wizard_9 said:
9 it was, we will take a straight swap for Steven Johnson.

You can see how keen Freo supporters are to get rid of the useless crab Medhurst, whose omission from Freo's team this year coincided with their winning streak.

Enough said.

volcboy said:
You can see how keen Freo supporters are to get rid of the useless crab Medhurst, whose omission from Freo's team this year coincided with their winning streak.

Enough said.

Id prefer to keep him, but i rate Johnson extremely highly.

I will lose my mind if they trade in Medhurst full stop, let alone swap for SJ.

WTF is going on!

Callan we should keep for one more year, he is an injury or two from getting a decent run in the firsts.

Do we really want to swap a talented but lazy and inconsistent forward for another talented but lazy and inconsistent forward?

Makes no sense to me.

malvern said:
Do we really want to swap a talented but lazy and inconsistent forward for another talented but lazy and inconsistent forward?

Makes no sense to me.

Indeed - check this out:
Medhurst a work in progress
2 August 2006
Justin Chadwick
Sportal for afl.com.au
He has the uncanny ability to excite and frustrate fans within a matter of seconds in a football match, but unfortunately for Fremantle, it has been the frustrating aspects that have featured prominently in Paul Medhurst's 2006 campaign.

Although Medhurst has played 12 of 17 games this season, he has struggled for consistency up forward and is averaging just 12 possessions and one goal per match.

Sound familiar? However, at least the guy can run and seems to have two functional ankles...

volcboy said:
Medhurst??? Please say this is a joke.

Geelong declares that Steve Johnson is available for trade, then possibly goes after Medhurst.

I would like anyone out there to explain to me how Medhurst could be considered a better player than Steve Johnson.

Medhurst is incredibly inconsistent, he goes missing when tagged, he plays for free kicks, he's shorter than SJ and a much poorer overhead mark, he doesn't have the fitness to run in the midfield.

Please tell me that this rumour is a joke.

Tim Callan has informally expressed his desire to play in the midfield. I would keep him - move Kelly on - talk about players being selfish and lazy!!!
Simplistic to say tha Freo only won when Medhurst wasn't playing. He is highly regarded in W.A. An Eagles player said during the season that he is very, very hard to play on when he is at his best - if we picked him up our problem would be - can Bomber groom him and bring out the best? - that is the risk. What about Mc Dougall - or have we had our fingers burnt too often with importing forwards from the West?

Rustybugles said:
Simplistic to say tha Freo only won when Medhurst wasn't playing. He is highly regarded in W.A. An Eagles player said during the season that he is very, very hard to play on when he is at his best

Has the same question been asked of people who play on Steve Johnson? I would suggest that the answer would be similar.

Rustybugles said:
- if we picked him up our problem would be - can Bomber groom him and bring out the best? - that is the risk.

If you can point out one player on our list that Bomber has groomed and brought out the best in, I'd be surprised. Kelly? Tenace? Mackie? NAblett? Surprising (or not) that all these players tended to play better at both VFL and AFL level after a stint in the VFL under Tudor.

Rustybugles said:
Tim Callan has informally expressed his desire to play in the midfield. I would keep him - move Kelly on - talk about players being selfish and lazy!!!
Simplistic to say tha Freo only won when Medhurst wasn't playing. He is highly regarded in W.A. An Eagles player said during the season that he is very, very hard to play on when he is at his best - if we picked him up our problem would be - can Bomber groom him and bring out the best? - that is the risk. What about Mc Dougall - or have we had our fingers burnt too often with importing forwards from the West?

I think McDougall is being sought by the Bullies from memory (a tall option).

Callan in the midfield could be interesting (I don't know what his skills are like). However, if Bomber is gonna be focussing on coaching next year, maybe he will be able to spend more time grooming players, as you suggest...

Rustybugles said:
Simplistic to say tha Freo only won when Medhurst wasn't playing.

It's not if you look at the theory behind it.

Medhurst is a 178cm full forward, a #1 target in the forward line.

Check out his record.

He kicked 50 and 40 in consecutive seasons in 03 and 04.

Pavlich was then moved forward in 05 and Medhurst's output dropped to 27 goals as he was no longer the major target in the forward line.

This year Fremantle unearthed Ryan Murphy to play at FF and Medhurst kicked a grand total of 12 goals in 12 games before getting dropped just as Fremantle went on their winning streak.

178cm full forwards go missing when the heat is on, as Freo have done the last few years.

Freo put a forward structure in place with genuine key forwards that can take contested grabs and don't rely on space to be effective and *shock horror* they started winning crunch games and made a preliminary final.

See also: "Phinals" Phil Matera and the Eagles.

Steve Johnson kicked 30 for the season as a complimentary forward. We would be crazy to trade him for Medhurst.

They are completely different players and the only common trait between them is their laziness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Medhurst & Callan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back