Media alert

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the best time to play them given we'll be used to the hot weather and they're coming off a shorter off season.

The problem is with no summer training venue or home ground we will be onto about our 7th of 9 weeks living out of a suitcase. This is going to be messy.

Article in the Herald Sun about next years free agents, but has a paywall. Can anyone with a subscription kindly post it here?
Cheers.

Daniel Rich's FA assessment by Jay Clark is posted earlier. The only other mention of Brisbane was that clubs like Brisbane might dangle a carrot in front of Steele Sidebottom.

Gee would have been nice to play them on a Saturday afternoon instead so we had a better chance to recover.

Then again,there are positive possibilities here.

Top sides can easily lose their first game but improve quickly after that and it is not unknown for eventual Premiers for the season to lose the first two or three games from early season poor form.

If the Lions play the WA clubs only once each in 2016,this nasty may be the only trip to Perth and and gets the long away journey of the way for the rest of 2016.

Then again,there are positive possibilities here.

Top sides can easily lose their first game but improve quickly after that and it is not unknown for eventual Premiers for the season to lose the first two or three games from early season poor form.

If the Lions play the WA clubs only once each in 2016,this nasty may be the only trip to Perth and and gets the long away journey of the way for the rest of 2016.
Lions by 8pts. ** I have no confidence in that prediction whatsoever.

Yeah true, I'd prefer another bottom 8! Team, coming out round one and getting blown off the park after a long preseason does not go well for young teams.
My other thought is we have been terrible the last few years against teams we should have a chance against in round 1. By playing a tough team (them off a later preseason) is at least a different style of start

I'd rather play the runner up of the previous season in the first round away from home as there will be little to no expectation for us to win (just to put in a a respectable four-quarter effort).

It also gives us an opportunity to knock off a seemingly top team in their most vulnerable position, and the travel factor will not be large as we're both coming off a couple of months break. Also, we get that somewhat disruptive Perth trip out of the way early, where it would have had a larger impact on the side during the season proper. It also means that we won't be as injury affected (touch wood), or rather, at our peak in terms of net injury position for a clash that we will undoubtedly need our strongest side for.

With the little expectation to actually beat the Eagles, it also means that he head into an almost a win/win scenario that will only have a negative effect if we get belted (not a far-fetched possibility).

• Honourably lose - small upside
  • Lose comfortably (expected result) - no effect on membership
  • get smashed - negative affect
  • Win - huge boost in membership and first match at the Gabbatoir after beating a premiership fancy
  • Smash them - Lions are in premiership contention and boost in membership/ticket revenue. :D
Personally, I think the Eagles will be similar to the Port Adelaide of this year. They'll still make the finals, but a tougher draw and larger game plan scrutiny will mean that they miss the top four.

Last edited:
I'd rather play the runner up of the previous season in the first round away from home as there will be little to no expectation for us to win (just to put in a a respectable four-quarter effort).

It also gives us an opportunity to knock off a seemingly top team in their most vulnerable position, and the travel factor will not be large as we're both coming off a couple of months break. Also, we get that somewhat disruptive Perth trip out of the way early, where it would have had a larger impact on the side during the season proper. It also means that we won't be as injury affected (touch wood), or rather, at our peak in terms of net injury position for a clash that we will undoubtedly need our strongest side for.

With the little expectation to actually beat the Eagles, it also means that he head into an almost a win/win scenario that will only have a negative effect if we get belted (not a far-fetched possibility).

• Honourably loose - small upside
  • Loose comfortably (expected result) - no effect on membership
  • get smashed - negative affect
  • Win - huge boost in membership and first match at the Gabbatoir after beating a premiership fancy
  • Smash them - Lions are in premiership contention and boost in membership/ticket revenue. :D
Personally, I think the Eagles will be similar to the Port Adelaide of this year. They'll still make the finals, but a tougher draw and larger game plan scrutiny will mean that they miss the top four.

AND then you lost me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In other Lions list news, forward Jackson Paine will be delisted, then re-drafted by the Club as a nominated rookie.

Midfielder Zac O’Brien has been delisted. O’Brien played 13 games with the Lions over two seasons after being drafted as a mature aged rookie from Essendon’s VFL side in 2013.

The Brisbane Lions thank Zac for his contribution to the Club and wish him all the very best for the future.

The way I look at it is ZOB out, Whitecross in. ZOB never looked up to it, doesn't surprise me at all. Paine is lucky to still be on the list, not much we can do when he still has a year to run on his contract.

So 5 spots on the senior list now? Schache, Keays, Hipwood, Whitecross & another academy prospect?

2 years in a row, reserves player of the year delisted

Reserves is his level. I was more surprised that he wasn't delisted in the first batch. No AFL attributes at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back