Melb. vs. Bulldogs...Rd.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Calls for an interesting game.

Melbourne and the Bulldogs are very similar teams. Both teams like to run with the ball. Both teams lack a good back line. Both teams strengths are midfield and up forward.

Melbourne has the wood over the Doggies, referring back to the last three times the sides have clashed. Without a doubt, Melbourne will go into the game as slight favourites. (Anyone have the odds)?

Conclusion:

Both teams will be looking to avenge their round two defeats. Essendon seemed to hold Neitz out extremely well, so I can't see why the Doggies wouldn't double team Neitz - Croft and Harris. Whilst Robbertson and Green will probably be targeted by Kretiuk, Hargrave and/or Robbins.

Brown and Bandy will be focal points in the Bulldogs' forward line. I would expect Ellis (if he is back) to get the job on Bandy and maybe Brown will be doubled teamed, like he was against the Tigers, by Walsh and Ferguson. Who knows?

I will be closely anticipating Adem Yze. He needs to be tagged. I would probably use Hahn or Garlick to tag him. Johnstone and Leoncelli should be in for 20+ possession games.

For the Bulldogs, Westy has started the season on a high, getting 62 possessions from his two starts. Johnston, too, along with Alvey, have been getting a lot of the ball. Expect 70+ possessions between the three.

Hard game to predict. I am going for the Bulldogs by 18.

Originally posted by X_box_X
Calls for an interesting game.

Melbourne and the Bulldogs are very similar teams. Both teams like to run with the ball. Both teams lack a good back line. Both teams strengths are midfield and up forward.

Melbourne has the wood over the Doggies, referring back to the last three times the sides have clashed. Without a doubt, Melbourne will go into the game as slight favourites. (Anyone have the odds)?

Conclusion:

Both teams will be looking to avenge their round two defeats. Essendon seemed to hold Neitz out extremely well, so I can't see why the Doggies wouldn't double team Neitz - Croft and Harris. Whilst Robbertson and Green will probably be targeted by Kretiuk, Hargrave and/or Robbins.

Brown and Bandy will be focal points in the Bulldogs' forward line. I would expect Ellis (if he is back) to get the job on Bandy and maybe Brown will be doubled teamed, like he was against the Tigers, by Walsh and Ferguson. Who knows?

I will be closely anticipating Adem Yze. He needs to be tagged. I would probably use Hahn or Garlick to tag him. Johnstone and Leoncelli should be in for 20+ possession games.

For the Bulldogs, Westy has started the season on a high, getting 62 possessions from his two starts. Johnston, too, along with Alvey, have been getting a lot of the ball. Expect 70+ possessions between the three.

Hard game to predict. I am going for the Bulldogs by 18.

Thats a fair assessment from a bulldog.
Brown kicked 7 (from memory) against us in rnd 20 last year... you lot still lost the game.

If you can't shut down neitz.. you will lose.... we have a lot of other avenues to goal (green, robbo, moorcroft, armstrong +midfield)... so even if neitz bags 7.. we still have a lot more options...

Johnstone and Yze arent our only midfielders... celli (as u mentioned), bruce (star), whelen, ward, mcdonald etc etc...
all capable of having 25+ possessions... godfrey tagged well last week and had 26 possessions himself :)

Dees by a bit... dunno how much.

What a dreadful game

I went to the game on Sunday and I must say that this was one of the worst games of afl I have ever seen.......there was absolutely no physical contact....the game was like a training drill for the Demons and the Bulldogs looked totally disinterested...it was like pathetic!

Sorry, but I really felt disinterested and am worried about the Bulldogs future and actually, about afl....how sanitised it has become and is lacking a lot of manning up and physical contact and I am afraid that the Geelong vs Demons game might be the same.

You guys probably won't agree with me about some of the points I have made (probably because I love rugby league), but surely just watching the replay again on Sunday night, it even seemed worse on tv.

Any opinions pls. guys?

I'll give you my opinion..

You obviously have no place in your heart for our sport... I'd suggest you stick to thugby.

As boring as it is, it seems you enjoy the physical aspect of thugby, which is inevitable when you have two teams running directly towards eachother. Sure that game on Sunday was a bit weak.. but it was a hard running game, not every game is a demolision derby.

Your comment about how the game was boring (in another thread) merely shows your lack of support for the Dees. I guarantee you every single one of these people in here enjoyed that game. Why? Because we won.

Somefella

I did ask for opinions and I really thought that game on Sunday was very boring....as compared to others I have seen.

My feelings for the Demons have nothing to do with being able to give my opinions on one particular game..
I prefer if you don't call rugby league thugby.....it just shows your lack of respect for another sport and how little you know about it...:rolleyes:

How can you enjoy a one-sided contest like that one on Sunday, where it was just a plain training drill for the Demons. The Dogs were no opposition and were nowhere near their men!

It wasn't that one sided - they were within 4 goals of us for most of the game. It was exciting watching us play when we had our running game going really well. A few of our runs were just amazing, then culminated with perfect delivery to Neita (or Whitey, Greeny, Robbo, etc..) - I loved watching it anyway.

It was also a great game to be at just to see Riggers back, and to see Smithy's first AFL game. Love that kind of stuff too.

Like how this Saturday it will be awesome to be at Melbourne's first win in Geeling for 15 years!

Re: Somefella

Originally posted by Ms.Storm
I did ask for opinions and I really thought that game on Sunday was very boring....as compared to others I have seen.

As I said, not every game is a corker... but if you were a true supporter of a club... every win we have is a great game.

My feelings for the Demons have nothing to do with being able to give my opinions on one particular game..
I prefer if you don't call rugby league thugby.....it just shows your lack of respect for another sport and how little you know about it...:rolleyes:
[/B]

Sorry but that's basically what Rugby League is... thugs running half paced into eachother. I can't see how you can call that game on sunday boring, when that storm game the day before was as exciting as sticking a cactus up your a$$.

I live in Brisbane (unfortunately) and I know a fair bit about union and league (not by choice)...

How can you enjoy a one-sided contest like that one on Sunday, where it was just a plain training drill for the Demons. The Dogs were no opposition and were nowhere near their men! [/B]

It wasn't a great game to watch, I'll say that... but we won... that's all that matters.... Noone won a flag by being fancy and entertaining the crowd...

I enjoyed Sundays game for the following reasons.

a) We won.

b) We played well & were far more pro-active from the first bounce (Well done ND!)

c) Nick Smith made his debut for the MFC.

d) Some of the insults hurled by CFH cracked me up.

e) I remained dry! (except my feet, bloody leaky roof!)

f) Neeta kicked 7 & went back to the top of the Coleman ladder.

g) There was an aftermatch & CFH,Deestroy & Footyman got the chance to celebrate the victory.

h) WE WON!!!

I must admit that I do love a hard physical contest but some times it doesn't happen. Melbourne were very sharp especially early & they killed the game as a contest pretty early on. Melbourne play a fast attacking running game that I enjoy watching. AFL players are instructed not to risk turnovers by kicking to contests too often these days anyway.

Somefella

Originally posted by Somefella
As I said, not every game is a corker... but if you were a true supporter of a club... every win we have is a great game.

Sorry but that's basically what Rugby League is... thugs running half paced into eachother. I can't see how you can call that game on sunday boring, when that storm game the day before was as exciting as sticking a cactus up your a$$.

I live in Brisbane (unfortunately) and I know a fair bit about union and league (not by choice)...

It wasn't a great game to watch, I'll say that... but we won... that's all that matters.... Noone won a flag by being fancy and entertaining the crowd...

You are entitled to your opinion, but mine is different as I said before.....just because a team wins it does not make it a great game, whether you support a team nor not.....

Rugby league is not a thugs game at all....you talk utter crap.!
I was brought up on afl but am so greatful I have found rugby league...and I absolutely love the game.

Had you been brought up as an afl supporter, or did you have a rugby/league background?

If you don;t like Brisbane, why don'tyou move to Melb?

I have lost a lot of my friends to Brisbane and so have my parents.....and some of them are now following rugby league as well, and changed from their afl team in Melb. to become Lions supporters......so at least changing states has made them see the *light*. I could never change teams like some of them did, switching to the Lions....it makes me angry.
IMO you can have different teams for different footy codes, but not change teams in the same code willy nilly~

Anyway, I can see we will be having some *heated* debates on here
;) :D

Re: Somefella

You are entitled to your opinion, but mine is different as I said before.....just because a team wins it does not make it a great game, whether you support a team nor not.....

Rugby league is not a thugs game at all....you talk utter crap.!
I was brought up on afl but am so greatful I have found rugby league...and I absolutely love the game.

Had you been brought up as an afl supporter, or did you have a rugby/league background?

If you don;t like Brisbane, why don'tyou move to Melb?

I have lost a lot of my friends to Brisbane and so have my parents.....and some of them are now following rugby league as well, and changed from their afl team in Melb. to become Lions supporters......so at least changing states has made them see the *light*. I could never change teams like some of them did, switching to the Lions....it makes me angry.
IMO you can have different teams for different footy codes, but not change teams in the same code willy nilly~

Anyway, I can see we will be having some *heated* debates on here
;) :D

My point was, it seems you 'follow' the demons, but you don't barrack for them (if that makes sense). You don't seem as passionate (which isn't a crime i guess) as the rest of us. I merely said that we shouldn't care how we win (though a close contest is good now and then) as long as we win.

P.S I was born in Melbourne, forced to move with family, will be returning after I finish uni.

P.P.S My family doesn't follow League, my mates do though.

Re: Re: Somefella

Originally posted by Somefella
My point was, it seems you 'follow' the demons, but you don't barrack for them (if that makes sense). You don't seem as passionate (which isn't a crime i guess) as the rest of us. I merely said that we shouldn't care how we win (though a close contest is good now and then) as long as we win.

P.S I was born in Melbourne, forced to move with family, will be returning after I finish uni.

P.P.S My family doesn't follow League, my mates do though.

I do follow the Demons and always will buy a membership because I want them to survive, but you are right, I am not as passionate about the club as I was a few years ago, its a very long story that I might tell you about one day.:)

I always want to see them win, but now because I love another footy code, I can be more objective and constructive of the afl game as a whole......its hard to explain.... Hence my original comments.

Cheers and Happy Easter to all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melb. vs. Bulldogs...Rd.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back