Melbourne Cup Day 2013 Discussion/ Tips etc

Remove this Banner Ad

French filly Verema (from a stable/owner largely un-interested in Australia) wins the Kergolay from an absolute wall of horses for the minors - don't think this will be the form race for this years Cup that it has in the past.

French filly Verema (from a stable/owner largely un-interested in Australia) wins the Kergolay from an absolute wall of horses for the minors - don't think this will be the form race for this years Cup that it has in the past.

Agree she's not likely to arrive but do think this will prove a decent form race.
Race was lacking the names we know but the way she accelerated off a slow pace
was very encouraging,she'd be very competitve IMO & trainer & jockey should know what's required.

seth

Yeah - should have clarified that the winner won well - but you can forget everything else in the race for mine.

Can't see the Aga Khan ever brining one over here - would not be suprised if she lined up in the Arc.

Theres been no noises either way apart from Alain saying 'she could go overseas".
Prix Cadran in October wouldnt surprise me either but I wont rule her out until I hear she wont be here,Ed Dunlop's making noises about Joshua Tree coming & several behind her are already nomd for Caulfield Cup.

Dandino won the American St Leger after a very chequered run so he's on his way.

seth

Dandino looks up to doing the equal of his stablemate at Flemintgon I reckon - still don't think he has enough turn of foot for Caulfield but should be a lovely lead up for the big one.

Joshua Tree would need to grow a leg on current form for mine.

Personally think Verema is a 100/1 shot to even come.

Personally think Verema is a 100/1 shot to even come.

Sounds like we wont have to wait long for a decision

A meeting this weekend between The Aga Khan and his racing team will determine if Verema, winner of the Prix Kergorlay, will be a Melbourne Cup contender.
Racing Victoria international consultant Leigh Jordon said he’s spoken to the Aga Khan’s racing consultants about the mare coming to Melbourne.
Jordon said he’d been told a decision would be made over the weekend.
“But, I’m getting all the right noises that she will come out,” Jordon said.
Verema, trained by Alain de Royer Dupre, has won two Group 2 races at her past two starts.

seth

Ahzeemah wins Group 2 Lonsdale Cup at York, beating Simenon.

Simenon is heading down here & Bensley reporting Brown Panther is also coming.
He won the Goodwood cup winner recently beating Ahzeemah & Mount Athos & will probably run in the Irish St Leger. For those who dont know he was bred & is owned by racing tragic Michael Owen.

Mount Athos ran 2nd to Harris Tweed overnight & is still on target according to Cumani's

Ebor went to Tiger Cliffs who was impressive but is no hope of being here while Opinion who was being considered missed the start & was never likely

seth

I reckon Now We Can is some chance of rolling Cirrus in France tonight.

Still think Simenon is too much a 4000m horse to win down here.

Mount Athos is going worse than last year for mine and looks horrible unders in current antepost markets. Would be happy to back Brown Panther to beat him home again if he gets here.

Simenon is heading down here & Bensley reporting Brown Panther is also coming.
He won the Goodwood cup winner recently beating Ahzeemah & Mount Athos & will probably run in the Irish St Leger. For those who dont know he was bred & is owned by racing tragic Michael Owen.

Mount Athos ran 2nd to Harris Tweed overnight & is still on target according to Cumani's

Ebor went to Tiger Cliffs who was impressive but is no hope of being here while Opinion who was being considered missed the start & was never likely

seth
Yes, good run from Tiger Cliffs but seems no chance of making the trip.

There seems to have been a bit of a change of strategy this year. Previously the Kergolay and Ebor were the preferred lead ups for Cup aspirants. This year very few if any from those 2 races will run in the Cup. Disappointing from a personal view because I made the trip to both with a few mates this year. Great days nonetheless so can't complain too much.

I see Dermot's Voleuse ran second to Royal Diamond in the Irish St Leger Trial. Both are possibles it seems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Now We Can is some chance of rolling Cirrus in France tonight.

Still think Simenon is too much a 4000m horse to win down here.

Mount Athos is going worse than last year for mine and looks horrible unders in current antepost markets. Would be happy to back Brown Panther to beat him home again if he gets here.

Agree on Mount Athos but last year needed to lift it's rating to get in. This year the owner told Luca Cumani he had 2 priorities - Chester Cup and Melbourne Cup. He won the Chester Cup by a thumping margin. So hopefully he'll be peaking when he arrives.

Now We Can beaten at Deauville but track rain affected, which is not to his liking. Ran on ok but well beaten.

He looked awesome at Chester but after that has been very very disappointing. Maybe the owner trying to come up with excuses after the fact?

Hardly see why the Chester Cup would be a race you would target over Royal Ascot or Glorious Goodwood. And outside of the O'Brien horse in that race (which hasn't run since) he really just beat up a field of absolute scrubbers.

Hardly see why the Chester Cup would be a race you would target over Royal Ascot or Glorious Goodwood.

Isnt it his local track where he first got the racing bug?
Bit like Gerry Ryan setting PDL to win his local Ballarat Cup last year?

seth

He looked awesome at Chester but after that has been very very disappointing. Maybe the owner trying to come up with excuses after the fact?

Hardly see why the Chester Cup would be a race you would target over Royal Ascot or Glorious Goodwood. And outside of the O'Brien horse in that race (which hasn't run since) he really just beat up a field of absolute scrubbers.

I'm pretty sure it was reported that he had 2 targets at the start of his prep. Came from Luca himself.

Seth is there a chance any of the following will reach our shores:
Now We Can, Al Kazeem, Caravan Rolls On, Ernest Hemmingway, Glens Diamond, Leading Light, Offer, Opinion, Songcraft, Sun Central, Top Trip, Universal, Vadamar, Very Nice Name, Volouse De Couers, Willing Foe?

Seth is there a chance any of the following will reach our shores:
Now We Can, Al Kazeem, Caravan Rolls On, Ernest Hemmingway, Glens Diamond, Leading Light, Offer, Opinion, Songcraft, Sun Central, Top Trip, Universal, Vadamar, Very Nice Name, Volouse De Couers, Willing Foe?

Can you wait until MC noms next week?
Just guessing on most until then although the definite non starters are:Al Kazeen,Leading Light (Aiden's 3yo?) & Universal

seth

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne Cup Day 2013 Discussion/ Tips etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back