Melbourne overrated

Remove this Banner Ad

It has come to my attention that a lot of media personalities, journalists and so called "experts" are tipping Melbourne to make the top 8 this year. There is no logic to this statement what so ever, has everyone forgotten they finished 12th last year? They have no genuine stars in their team, obviously Brad Green is the closest and yes he is rather good but he is merely a shining light in an otherwise mediocre forward line. Frawley was one of the worst All-Australian selections of all-time and Scully and Trengove are going to be good footballers in the future but in 2011 they are hardly going to turn a game are they....I cannot believe how many people are getting sucked in by the hype that surround this young group, yes they will be competitive in the future but if anyone thinks they will be a top 8 chance this year think again.

My tip - put your whole bank account on the TAB sportsbet odds of 2.05 for Melbourne to miss the top 8.

This post screams Melbourne= feared if you ask me. :):thumbsu:

Its simple. You are a Bombers fan. Probably of an age where all you had seen up until the mediocrity of the end of the Sheedy/Jackson era at Essendon was a successful Essendon and a struggling Melbourne. It was enough that you should have comprehended that Essendon was struggling. But to have Essendon struggling AND the Dees more widely tipped to climb the ladder and challenge for a flag sooner than Essendon is a reality outside of your comprehension.

Great post, but remember, you're talking to an essendon supporter. A bit to articulate and intelligent for them.

I know only a couple of north supporters in the real world, all of them fine people. Why are there so many ridiculously jealous, repetitive and boring variants of them on BF? It's staggering!

Most of the ones youre referring to have endured the constant shitkicking we recieved on the main board which was left unchecked by mods for along time (this has changed a fair bit recently fortunately), these types are prone to picking fights when they read something that they find even slightly offensive.

However don't heap us all into one group based on a number of knobs, alot of North supporters (just like every other teams supporters) are intelligent, footy loving folk who just want to kick back and talk about all things footy related.

The minority spoil it for the majority as in all things.

Whenever I see a thread like this started with an obvious north based username I want to put a fist through my screen. More often than not theyre started by aliases that rarely if ever post on our team board, or were created within the last month.

I have noticed that many threads knocking Melbourne are started by fans of North Melbourne, the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda.

I get the impression that these supporters are afraid that Melbourne will become a force in the next five years, the Demons winning the premierships that have eluded the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda; and in doing so consolidate their position as an AFL power, something North Melbourne failed to do despite their dominance in the 1990s.

I have noticed that many threads knocking Melbourne are started by fans of North Melbourne, the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda.

I get the impression that these supporters are afraid that Melbourne will become a force in the next five years, the Demons winning the premierships that have eluded the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda; and in doing so consolidate their position as an AFL power, something North Melbourne failed to do despite their dominance in the 1990s.

Their transparent fear is hilariously obvious. What's incredible is that they continue to post these 'topics'. Insecurity is a b*tch.

Its simple. You are a Bombers fan. Probably of an age where all you had seen up until the mediocrity of the end of the Sheedy/Jackson era at Essendon was a successful Essendon and a struggling Melbourne. It was enough that you should have comprehended that Essendon was struggling. But to have Essendon struggling AND the Dees more widely tipped to climb the ladder and challenge for a flag sooner than Essendon is a reality outside of your comprehension.

Great post, but remember, you're talking to an essendon supporter. A bit to articulate and intelligent for them.

Looks like I'm dealing the heavyweights...

Haven't seen any threads from St Kilda or Bulldogs posters doing this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol I don't even know if I will be alive in five years time let alone worry about Melbourne extracting the digit.

Melbourne should make the top 4 with the kind of draw they have scored, let alone the top 8.

Teams they play twice:
Port, Hawks, GC, WCE, Carlton and Richmond

Teams they play once:
Sydney (mcg), Brisbane (mcg), Adelaide (mcg), North, St Kilda, Collingwood, Fremantle (mcg), Bulldogs and Geelong.

The only teams of last year's top 8 you play twice are Hawthorn and Carlton, the teams occupying the last two positions.

I do think the club is over-hyped for what it has delivered to-date though. But, hype is meaningless, eventually you have to deliver or the hype dies.

It has come to my attention that a lot of media personalities, journalists and so called "experts" are tipping Melbourne to make the top 8 this year. There is no logic to this statement what so ever, has everyone forgotten they finished 12th last year? They have no genuine stars in their team, obviously Brad Green is the closest and yes he is rather good but he is merely a shining light in an otherwise mediocre forward line. Frawley was one of the worst All-Australian selections of all-time and Scully and Trengove are going to be good footballers in the future but in 2011 they are hardly going to turn a game are they....I cannot believe how many people are getting sucked in by the hype that surround this young group, yes they will be competitive in the future but if anyone thinks they will be a top 8 chance this year think again.

My tip - put your whole bank account on the TAB sportsbet odds of 2.05 for Melbourne to miss the top 8.

Agree I think we will just miss the 8 this year, but hopefully be in contention.

I really cant wait for the North game this year.. we have you guys covered.

Because Melbourne fans never hang shit constantly on North :rolleyes:

Although, OP is wrong. Frawley is a gun, and they have Scully, Trengove, Sylvia, Green, Jamar, Jurrah, Petterd, Grimes, Garland and McKenzie, just to name SOME of their good players.

i doubt we'll make the 8, we simply aren't ready for it experience wise IMO

i would be happy with ten wins this season and getting more games into our inexperienced players, particularly our forward line and midfield

i don't agree that we are overrated though, many media personalities have stated just what i said, we aren't ready yet

our average number of games is something like 65 and we are now the youngest list bar the GC

loss of experience in jmac and bruce and a lack of experience in the players we think will help us challenge for a flag will show us to be very inconsistent this year

it's a shame we have had so much media attention because it has increased the expectations of not only our own fans, but outside fans... who if melbourne don't make the 8 will write us off and say we should go back to tanking, etc.

Agree with most of OP but Frawley is quality and deserved AA. Was exceptional in a poor defensive side. Unlike most AA defenders who are in top notch defensive sides.
Yep.
I could see the midfield's getting pounded this year. Just too light.
Their 3 heavy lifters last year were McDonald, Moloney & McKenzie. 1's gone, 1's injured.

Needs a lot of Gysberts, Scully etc - not sure they're ready.

Yep.
I could see the midfield's getting pounded this year. Just too light.
Their 3 heavy lifters last year were McDonald, Moloney & McKenzie. 1's gone, 1's injured.

Needs a lot of Gysberts, Scully etc - not sure they're ready.

Agreed. With the departures of Bruce and McDonald we are an incredibly young side with light games and relativitely small bodies.

Will be interesting to see how we go. We had our fair share of injuries last year to key players but were still in the finals hunt come round 18. Hopefully we can expect the same this season

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne overrated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back