Melbourne weak reaction in the 2000 Grand Final..........

Remove this Banner Ad

No not at all. I know a lot of people who think this incident was disgusting and a blight on the game.

As for Michael Long being a champion of the game. No one thinks that besides Essendon supporters. He wouldn't even be in the top 50 players to ever play for your club let alone a champion of the game. Kinda like Scott Lucas, no one respects him besides Essendon flogs who over-rate their own. Both were Front runners with pea sized hearts who were carried by the better players in those Bombers sides

Righto mate, i'll take your word for it;). Hawthorn supporters on bigfooty say that they dont respect him or that he isnt a champion, but as I said, they are 45 year old keyboard warriors who live in their mums basement.

The football world respects him and rates him as a champion, and deep down even you must know that. Watch the 93 finals series again, then come and talk to me.

Kinda like Scott Lucas, no one respects him besides Essendon flogs who over-rate their own. Both were Front runners with pea sized hearts who were carried by the better players in those Bombers sides

You are a knob. Lucas was easily our best player in 06 and 07 when we were at the bottom of the ladder and basically carried our team both those years.

You are a knob. Lucas was easily our best player in 06 and 07 when we were at the bottom of the ladder and basically carried our team both those years.

So he was the best player for 2 years in an awful side. Compared with the other CHFs of his generation he wouldn't even rank top 3 for his position. Tredrea, Brown and Reiwoldt are all a mile better than him..

But like I said, don't let that get in the way of your deluded fantasies

What does everyone make of this new US president, George W Bush?

Also, I saw the previews to a movie called "Shrek" today! Mike Myers is supposed to play a big part, but he is only the voice of a character, as it's all animated.

Essendon sure were great that year :D

Remember when Hall knocked down Staker, similar thing happened. Is this something said by coaches???

So he was the best player for 2 years in an awful side. Compared with the other CHFs of his generation he wouldn't even rank top 3 for his position. Tredrea, Brown and Reiwoldt are all a mile better than him..

But like I said, don't let that get in the way of your deluded fantasies

Where did I say I think he was good as those three? However, he was not a front runner who was carried by others.

No not at all. I know a lot of people who think this incident was disgusting and a blight on the game.

worse than Matthews king hitting Bruns 50m off the play?

worse than Hall?

Vandenburg kneeing a guy on the ground in the head?

some of you must be in line for elevation to Saints, seriously. Hawthorn have had their share of unsavoury incidents over the years but you probably still thinks some of those guys are minor gods.

I'd be guessing EVERYBODY who has played more than 10 games has probably done something bad.

GET OVER IT.

worse than Matthews king hitting Bruns 50m off the play?

worse than Hall?

Vandenburg kneeing a guy on the ground in the head?

some of you must be in line for elevation to Saints, seriously. Hawthorn have had their share of unsavoury incidents over the years but you probably still thinks some of those guys are minor gods.

I'd be guessing EVERYBODY who has played more than 10 games has probably done something bad.

GET OVER IT.

The Matthews hit was a disgrace as well no doubt.

Richie was justified in taking out McPhee like that though because McPhee was a try hard tough man. He had it coming. McPhee was always looking for fights, instigating trouble and trying to be a tough man mouthing off and pushing and shoving with guys half his size.

In the end he got what he deserved coping a hiding from Rich. McPhee wasn't so tough when it came to the real stuff was he!! Haha

The Matthews hit was a discgrace as well no doubt.

Richie was justified in taking out McPhee like that because McPhee was a try hard tough man. He was always looking for fights, instigating trouble and trying to be a tough man. In the end he got what he deserved being bashed by Vanders

What about a 19 year old Winderlich?

Thinking back to the 2000 Grand Final we witnessed one of the games most gutless and dangerous assaults on a Footballer possible. Michael Longs head high assault on Melbourne's Troy Simmonds while is head was over the ball was disgraceful.

What was more disgraceful was the collective response by his Melbourne teamates. Aside from the Ox it was completely pathetic. Had that of happened to a North Player in the 2000 Grand Final or Brisbane’s teams of 2001 onwards Long would have been slaughtered.

I remember thinking I would have been embarrassed if that was my teams response to such a gutless act. No wonder they got slaughtered in the GF.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't checked facts), but isn't the utterly horrifying beatdown we layed on North in that very same finals series the highest score in a final ever, along with the second or third highest margin in a final ever?

Whether Longy did or didn't hit a North player, seems like Melbourne could put up more of a fight then North....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thinking back to the hall/staker incident... after hall had KOed staker, i remember HUNTER running in as if to fly the flag for the team, barry hall gives him a push away and HUNTER TAKES A DIVE!!!! LOLOLOLOL, you're team mate is unconscious on the ground and you're playing for free kicks...

soft as butter...

Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't checked facts), but isn't the utterly horrifying beatdown we layed on North in that very same finals series the highest score in a final ever, along with the second or third highest margin in a final ever?

Whether Longy did or didn't hit a North player, seems like Melbourne could put up more of a fight then North....

Correct. Infact both teams beat North on their way into the Grand Final, especially Essendon who pounded them senseless in one of the biggest belting in a finals match ever :p
Regardless of who made it into the GF, noone was going to beat Essendon in that match. They had a tremendous year, and were one of the finest teams you'll ever see.

Late in the second quarter, We were already about 6 goals up.

Yep, Long cleaned up Simmons just before half-time. Melbourne actually did show some backbone early in the game. A very young Brad Green was targetted behind play, fought back and copped a hit that crushed his windpipe (and ended his day). Also, David Schwarz copped a fist in the face from Wallis with the ball miles away. Ox retaliated, the ump saw it, paid a free to Wallis and then sent Ox off because he was bleeding!

Sort of set the scene for the rest of the day.

He was a very good player but lets not recreate history here. Long was a soft outside receiver who was known to have taken steps on numerous occasions. Fortunately he played in an era where he had plenty of support from hardened team mates.

As you've stated yourself it was equivalent to a king hit an absolute dog act

you're the one recreating history here, champ. Outside the parochial internet wastelands, Long is universally acknowledged as an all-time great :thumbsu:

Correct. Infact both teams beat North on their way into the Grand Final, especially Essendon who pounded them senseless in one of the biggest belting in a finals match ever :p
Regardless of who made it into the GF, noone was going to beat Essendon in that match. They had a tremendous year, and were one of the finest teams you'll ever see.

The fact that we lost the prelim or Essendon pumped us had nothing to do with it. If Long had done that to one of our lot in the Gf he would of been killed. The Melbourne reaction was a joke. You reckon Carey, pike, archer, martyn, Pickett, Stevens would of let that happen without reprise.

He was a very good player but lets not recreate history here. Long was a soft outside receiver who was known to have taken steps on numerous occasions. Fortunately he played in an era where he had plenty of support from hardened team mates.

As you've stated yourself it was equivalent to a king hit an absolute dog act

Agree.

The bloke has mysteriously gained some kind of legend status on the back of 2 dozen good games of football.

I think he just happened to be a pretty good aboriginal footballer in an historically fortuitous time.

Ever heard of a bloke by the name of Nicky Winmar?

nicky-winmar1.jpg

The difference between Winmar and Long is that Winmar has not attempted to milk a professional career out of his act.

As a result, I have much more respect for Winmar.

I was there on the particular day...sitting behind the Punt Road goal so saw the incident more or less end-on.

Was it a dog act? Not really. Long at no stage could have pulled out of making contact, having committed himself to the contest. It was not a kinghit either..just an old-fashioned shirtfront.

Was it worth 4 weeks? 2 at best. Simmonds contributed to the problem by just not being aware - or being made aware, of contact coming his way (whatever happened to talking to your team-mates?)

Melbourne's reaction was pretty reasonable under the circumstances - if it had have been the other way, I would have expected Essendon players to do the same as the Demons players did that day (lead by Schwarz who was fired up after tangling with Wallis earlier on).

Not sure why it has been brought up a decade later though.

Actually from the rumours that have been circulating about the 2000 GF, North had planned a biffo outbreak ala Geelong v Hawks 1989 GF if we had made it. Supposedly we weren't happy at favourable treatment being handed out to the Likes of Pretty Boy Hird by the Ump's and North intended to even the ledger in the GF through some old fashioned biffo.

I was there on the particular day...sitting behind the Punt Road goal so saw the incident more or less end-on.

Was it a dog act? Not really. Long at no stage could have pulled out of making contact, having committed himself to the contest. It was not a kinghit either..just an old-fashioned shirtfront.

Was it worth 4 weeks? 2 at best. Simmonds contributed to the problem by just not being aware - or being made aware, of contact coming his way (whatever happened to talking to your team-mates?)
Long couldn't have pulled out of the contest? Simmonds had his head over the ball for an extended period of time (he fumbled it) and Long had ample time to pull out of it, instead he made a beeline for him.

I don't know what you think a 'shirtfront' is but Simmonds was practically horizontal to the ground when Long ran in at full pace and cleaned him up. It's a miracle he didn't break his neck as far as i'm concerned.

Don't know why the clip was taken off youtube but it's sickening. Would probably be worth 10 weeks these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne weak reaction in the 2000 Grand Final..........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back