The start of a new era
AFL Club
Essendon
Members urged to have their say

spacer.gif
Wednesday, 19 November 2008
for essendonfc.com.au
Page 1 of 1
Essendon Football Club will be holding a board election this year with five candidates contesting three positions.
Standing members that have re-nominated following the completion of their current terms are chairman Ray Horsburgh, Alec Epis and Kevin Egan.
Those seeking election to the board are Jo-Anne Albert and Rachael Hankinson.
Members eligible to vote in the election will receive ballot papers in the mail this week.

“We encourage all eligible club members to take up their right to vote and get involved in determining the future direction of the Club,” Essendon managing director Peter Jackson said today.
“As a member-based organisation, any vote we take has important implications as it did when we moved to the MCG and The Dome or at the Extraordinary General Meeting we held late last year. We need our constituents to cast their vote.”
A ballot box will be placed at the Essendon Football Club reception located on the ground floor of the Hall of Fame building between 9.00am and 5.00pm, up to and including Monday, December 8th 2008.

Those members who wish to vote by post should ensure their votes are received no later than 5.00pm on Monday, December 8th, 2008.
Results of the election will be announced at the 135th Annual General Meeting of Essendon Football Club to be held at the Clocktower Centre, Moonee Valley on the corner of Mt Alexander and Pascoe Vale Roads, Moonee Ponds on Tuesday, December 16th commencing at 7.00pm.
08_crichton_023-l.jpg

Ray Horsburgh address the crowd on Crichton Medal night.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=6177

yes, things were a bit more fiery this time last year

not aware of any pressing issues that should keep your average member up at night? essendon related issues of course...

ray seems to have learned to zip up so should get another gig, 2 women seeking election can only be a good thing

Hi, I'm one on the women standing for election. I'd like to encourage all members to make the most of their membership by using their vote. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Not much can be done from the average members point of view. The power of our coteries makes the votes of the average member seem to appear after the fact.

And when an average member (not a member of a coterie group, just someone who's in the outer each week) has put their names up in the past, they've rarely received votes.

Yes, there is truth in what you say.

However, we have thousands of members who financially support our club, go to games each week, and don't belong to, or cannot affort to join one of the coteries. It is important that every member uses their vote to ensure we have the best people working for our club.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, I'm one on the women standing for election. I'd like to encourage all members to make the most of their membership by using their vote. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Although I can't vote this year (next year:thumbsu:) I have to say that it's a good move to sign up here. There are a significant number of members on here, and a chance to talk to a board member would be jumped on.

Well played.:thumbsu:

I am very happy to give you some information about myself. I am actually going to set up a Facebook page so that I can tell people more about myself throughout the election campaign. I will provide details of my Facebook page in the next day or so.

I would relish the opportunity to be elected to the Board. The members of the Board act as custodians of our great football club and it is vital to ensure that the best people are continually making their way into the boardroom. This will ensure that the Board is continually given new energy and more importantly, continues to introduce fresh ideas.

I believe that I would make a valuable contribution as a Board member because;

· I am a qualified accountant and CPA
· I am a member of the CPA Public Practice Committee - representing practitioners across Victoria, and developing the standards that are taking CPA's into the future
· I am a member (and past Treasurer) of the Rotary Club of Moonee Valley
· I was in Public Practice, providing accountancy and taxation advice to business owners and individuals for 15 years
· I have co-owned and run a successful construction company - we built more than 40 homes throughout inner Melbourne
· I am currently in partnership operating a business providing labour hire to the civil construction industry

My business experience and particularly my accounting and taxation background, provide me with the ability to give proactive advice to the Board, work with the Board, and to represent members, to ensure that our club remains one of the best in the competition.

This is particularly important in today’s economic environment. Essendon, along with many other clubs, has felt the financial impact as a result of the downturn in the economy. The value of our investments has fallen significantly this year. I am concerned also, that as a result of the tough environment out there, members and families may find it difficult to renew their membership next year. For these reasons, more than ever before, it is vital to have the right people with the right skills and experience looking after our great club.

Myself personally,

· I am a young mum with 2 daughters aged 6 and 8
· We live locally, here in Essendon
· My girls go to school in Essendon
· My daughters are absolutely mad keen Essendon fans, and they love attending the Mosquito Fleet clinics held during the school holidays – always the major highlight!
· My daughters and I are learning (and loving) Taekwondo, with the great Halls Taekwondo club, and we have our next grading coming up very soon
· I love participating in triathlons. I am currently training for the 2008-09 season, my first race for this season will be in December.

Thank you for your interest :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rachael, jam or cinnamon doughnuts?

Secondly, I notice on the information it says that you have been a member for five years. As I have been a member of the club for around 20 years, I find this interesting that you would consider running for the board in such time.

Rachael, jam or cinnamon doughnuts?

Secondly, I notice on the information it says that you have been a member for five years. As I have been a member of the club for around 20 years, I find this interesting that you would consider running for the board in such time.

M29- I am not sure if I am reading your comment correctly, but you seem to be implying that one's ability to do the job effectively is proportional to the number of years they have been a member for?

Hi Rachael,

All the best in the up coming election, I have only one question, if you are elected will you still come to this forum and answer questions???????? :cool:

Steven

Rachael i also have a few questions.

Have you ever sat on a board before?

Is your current business a publicly listed company?

Have you ever had a personal or professional relationship with any of the current board members or candidates?

Could you please advise what you bring to the board other than your accounting background and enthusiasm?

(I ask this question as we currently have several current board members who have more financial qualifications than yourself as well as experience at board level on successful publicly listed companies with large market capitalizations)

Have you ever had a football involvement at any level?

Thank you

I've also got a few questions Rachael ;

- What do you think sets yourself apart from the other board members?

- If you got elected, which area of the club would you look to improve dramatically first?

- What's some ideas you have in mind with regards to improving the club's situation?

I voted before I read this thread. I must say, Rachael, you re-enforced the reason why I didn't vote for you. You have been a part of the EFC environment for a short time, and your entire campaign is built predominately around your financial credentials, which as Merv has also pointed out, aren't as notable as some of the other board members. My concern is your lack of football interest in your campaign. This is a footy club, and I will only vote for those with an interest and understanding of what it takes to be successful on the field also. Your involvement on this board is appreciated however.

So, Rachel, what do you think are the three biggest issues facing the club, and why do you think you are better equipped to handle these than those you are standing against?
Thanks for your question.

I have now set up a Facebook page to make it easier for me to answer questions. Please click through to check out my answer to your question.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&suggest&note_id=40496621330#/notes.php?id=1607210338

If you cannot access Facebook please let me know.

Hi Rachael,

All the best in the up coming election, I have only one question, if you are elected will you still come to this forum and answer questions???????? :cool:

Steven
Hi Steven,

If I am elected I will absolutely continue to visit this site and answer questions.

I think it would become even more important. Directors are custodians of our great club and they represent the members.

Elect me, and I'd be honoured to become a voice for the members :)

Also check out my comments at http://www.facebook.com/note.php?sav...38&ref=profile

Hi Steven,

If I am elected I will absolutely continue to visit this site and answer questions.

I think it would become even more important. Directors are custodians of our great club and they represent the members.

Elect me, and I'd be honoured to become a voice for the members :)

Also check out my comments at http://www.facebook.com/note.php?sav...38&ref=profile

So you have hand picked the easy question to answer and if we want the answers to the others we have to leave this site, sign up to facebook and ask them again.

No thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Members urged to have their say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back