Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm unsure how to quantify this but something I'm noticing about Scott's gameday coaching is his ability to address issues at quarter/half time breaks. I recall during the Sheedy days if we had a bad quarter, or a player was getting ahold of us I'd feel comfortable knowing a break was coming up because I'd think "It's OK, Sheeds will fix this."

I'm having similar thoughts recently. Haven't had them in a looooong time.

It’s certainly something Woosha and Rutten were not very good at.
I heard a post game interview in which a player, I think it was either Redman or Langford, said 'a lesser coach would have us riding the highs and lows' ... shows they've known lesser coaches...

Anyone know much about the effect Ben Jacobs is having on the team?
Our team defence has markedly improved this year - was highly rated by Scott while he was a player and has moved up from being a development coach to having his own line in only the space of a year so must be pretty highly rated as a coach too.
Ben Jacob’s has been instrumental in getting the players to prepare and manage themselves more professionally outside of the club from what I’ve heard

great to hear him talking about the contest first in his pressers. this is the messaging i'd hoped he would bring last year. it is most certainly reflected in his changing of the midfield mix, and the performances of players on field. i felt he used a lot of worsfold-style, passive, 'letting the players show themselves' stuff last year.

so far, so good for brad.

not to get too far ahead, but with the fundamentals being very solid in the last 2 months, we can really start to look at the forward line and build a group that doesn't need to work so hard for goals. i suspect this involves integrating caddy's ferocity, a very quick small forward, and figuring out the wright way to play 2mp.

would also like to see (when ridley's back) martin going forward again and using redman a bit more on the rebound.

Brad is the first coach in a long time that addressed the end-to-end transition problem. Also the first to have us being a genuinely tough opponent. The edge is real and the players have bought in.

He made the most of the list at North given their lack of top end talent and he's getting the most out of our current list. Good signs.

In the past, the season would have ended after the Port game.

So good to see him address our problems and seemingly get everyone on the same page. Those that aren't, will start to show themselves, I reckon. Next step for me is really putting lesser sides away - you'd think that this would be easier now that we have more cohesion and more buy-in, but we've always struggled with it. The next two games are very important, as there are no excuses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back