Merged Delistings/Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Players we would want from other clubs?

With the discussion about that forward we would need, I know this would be unlikely but I have been thinking this for quite a while;

Brad Fisher?

He is only 25 and is a decent player when he is up and going.

IMO the type of player we need is another clearance mid to give Jobe more support. We should probably look for someone that can win a clearance but moves and kicks well enough to link with the rest of the team.

Prismall, Mcveigh, Welsh, Hocking and Lonergan are all clearance mids.

Re: Mark Williams: A Bomber?

Transferring an established player mightn't seem like it fits with Knighter's youth policy, but it could be a great move. See Schneider and Ray to St Kilda, and Dew to Hawthorn.

I'm not sold on whether Williams is the right one for us, though Lucas is nearing the end. If we knew for certain how Gumby was going to turn out all would be much clearer re: this issue.

It's a non-issue though, same as Pavlich. He's not on the table, so why bother?

With the discussion about that forward we would need, I know this would be unlikely but I have been thinking this for quite a while;

Brad Fisher?

He is only 25 and is a decent player when he is up and going.

There's a reason it took 10 weeks to get a game in the league's most dysfunctional forwardline.

Transferring an established player mightn't seem like it fits with Knighter's youth policy, but it could be a great move. See Schneider and Ray to St Kilda, and Dew to Hawthorn.

It could be, but I'm not sure this year is the year to do it.

I think our side's still very much taking shape, and locking an established player into a position may prevent a younger getting an opportunity there and actually being a better footballer.

There's still a long way to go, but let's say everything goes to plan and we're ready for a serious tilt in 2011, that's when I think we'll look at the side and work out what we're missing.

Right now, it's hard to know exactly what we're missing.

I'll throw some more names in.

Trent Hentschel
Kurt Tippet
Troy Selwood
Brad Fisher
Leigh Brown
Paul Duffield
Ryan Gamble
Tom Lonergan
James Kelly
Kane Tenace
Brad Miller
Daniel Harris
Andrew Swallow
Robbie Gray
Mitch Morton
Daniel Jackson
Kayne Pettifer
Mark Coughlan
David Armitage
Henry Playfair
Amon Buchanan
Jared Moore
Mark LeCras
Tyson Stenglein
Ashley Hansen
Adam Selwood

I'll throw some more names in.

Trent Hentschel - Knee reco, hasnt really done that much since his return, and to be honest, not that crash hot a forward as it is.
Kurt Tippet - Doubt the Crows would let him go, is just starting to find his feet this year, and with their developing list would bew silly to let him go.
Troy Selwood - - A hard tough midfielder, no thanks, we have a good batch coming through (Welsh, Watson, Lonergan to name a couple)
Brad Fisher - Would like players that will kick more goals than behinds :p
Leigh Brown Have enough of his type developing nicely with some already playing good football (Mcphee, Daniher)
Paul Duffield - A huge fan of him, but he is starting to get his game together at the Dockers so doubt they would let him go.
Ryan Gamble - An interesting prospect, but one that I cannot see leaving the cattery.
Tom Lonergan - SEE ABOVE
James Kelly - SEE ABOVE
Kane Tenace - Foot skills lack, has good pace, but is struggling to make an impact at VFL level let alone AFL level.
Brad Miller - The rebuilding Demons would not let their focal point go would they now.
Daniel Harris - Have a good mix of inside mids developing, and would be a depth player at best.
Andrew Swallow - SEE ABOVE
Robbie Gray - - Like the look of him, but is playing some good footy at the power, so doubt they will let him go.
Mitch Morton - One player I have rated, and plays a different role to Monfries, is actually able to play as a forward, but is taking his chances at the Tigers when they present.
Daniel Jackson - Another tagger, no thanks, Welsh/Hocking for mine.
Kayne Pettifer - Who is he, struggles in a depleted side when a seasoned footballer like himself should be leading by example.
Mark Coughlan - The Tigers love him and would not let this feel good story go, we seem to have plenty of similar players coming through.
David Armitage - Unsure,
Henry Playfair - Injury plagued and hopefully the emergence of Neagle by years end will do the trick.
Amon Buchanan - A nice ball user through the midfield, we have plenty of these, is able to play as a small forward.
Jared Moore - In their leadership group as a 22 year old, played every game last year and (if correct) signed a 3 year deal not long ago.
Mark LeCras - Young and still plenty of footy left in the kid, the Eagles would be silly to let him go.
Tyson Stenglein - YOU ARE KIDDING, arent you?
Ashley Hansen - Struggles to influence games as much as he should, struggles with consistancy, and hold the ball up to much for our style of play.
Adam Selwood - another tagging option, no thanks.

interesting list, thoughts in bold for you to read up on!!

When people compile a list, look at what our needs are before you go posting random stuff, nearly all the players listed are either not what we need to improve our best 22 or are simply, not what we need.

Try some of these players;

Brad Moran, 200cm, 99kg. RUCK/UTILITY

I think a newbie listed him already, is able to play at either end of the ground, and will become a very good player IMO.

Todd Goldstein, 201cm, 105kg. RUCK

Showed some promise late last year playing in the ruck, and could be a very handy back up to Hille, releasing Ryder back to defence or even as a forward.

And on some of the other players mentioned, No thank you to Richard Tambling, yes he is improving, but not at the rate of nots he should be. No thank you to Mackie or J.Kelly either, we dont need similar players to what we have already.

In all seriousness, I doubt many trades will be done by the EFC this year, we dont have any real needs to address, and we will try our luck with draft picks IMO, maybe trade off players for more picks, or to improve our picks might be more likely.

(for example - Jay Nash + 3rd round pick -> Port Adelaide = 2nd round pick)

Alot of deals, if any trades will be done at years end will probably turn out like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if we did get Kerr though.

WCE dont have too many contested ball winners which means kerr is really doing all the hard work himself.
During the years when Judd and Cousins were playing at West Coast we were able to see Kerr use his blistering speed more frequently because he never really had to get his hands dirty, Judd and Cousins did all the tough stuff at the bottom of the packs.

With some of the tough in and under midfielders we are starting to produce (Watson, Hocking, Lonergan ect.) Kerr would probably have a greater impact at EFC. :D

We'd have to convince him Zantuck doesn't play for us anymore if want him to come over.

I'd only take williams if we can get zantuck back to the club for training drills.

and I want it filmed.

and made available on the essendonfc.com.au

in fact invite the entire afl media to cover it.
:D

I think we would want a couple of types but could definitely benefit from some expereince, and bigger bodies if we are going to contest with Hawthorn, Geelong & St Kilda (I have taken the view that we are looking for short term immeadiete results 2010-11):

1 - classy goal kicking mid forward (looking for more consistency than Monfries) = steve johnson/cyril rioli type - obviously neither of these guys are likely to be available so it who is best who may become available? Ryan O'keefe (obviously still wants to go), Nathan Brown (can't be happy there), Mark Williams (salary cap problems & is down the pecking order) Russel Robertson (getting on & may want another shot in sept), Ryan Crowley (someone younger who has showed a bit - is a melbourne boy)

2 - defensive midfielder/back with a bit of mongrel (needed to protect our small types) = half of hawthorn - maybe Jordan Lewis, Craig Bolton or Max Rooke (again don't know if they will be available). Best available maybe someone like Steven Salopek (melbourne boy coming home?) Michael Firrito (after they fold ha ha), Luke Ablett (Sydney always seem keen for a trade)

we don't need ruckmen; we have 5 on the list.

Ryan Gamble- a good, solid prospect who can play tall or small in the forward line. can't get past Hawkins.
Tom Lonergan- FF who can't get past players like Hawkins, Gamble and Mooney.
Lachie Henderson- high draft pick who can play CHF, and can't break into the Brisbane Forward Line with Brown + Bradshaw down there.
Chris Dawes-good player, like the look of him, but can't get past Cloke, Anthony or Rocca
Daniel Kerr-Gun. would relish at Essendon
Mitch Thorp-CHF who could be a handy fit at the EFC
Matt Westhoff- a FF who has been emergency @ Port. like the looks of him.
Jarrad Grant- CHF who could play very well with Neagle
Ben McKinley- he was a bombers fan growing up, so could be a good pick-up.

Cyril Rioli: Love to have him but wont happen
Michael Johnson: not sure if we need another defender, but I really like him

Michael Firrito (after they fold ha ha), Luke Ablett (Sydney always seem keen for a trade)
:thumbsu: Like these thoughts, Firrito especially, always liked him.

It could be, but I'm not sure this year is the year to do it.

I think our side's still very much taking shape, and locking an established player into a position may prevent a younger getting an opportunity there and actually being a better footballer.

There's still a long way to go, but let's say everything goes to plan and we're ready for a serious tilt in 2011, that's when I think we'll look at the side and work out what we're missing.

Right now, it's hard to know exactly what we're missing.

I'm presuming you mean locking a player in this year for next year, and to some extent I agree with you, but it would depend on who the player in question is. I've vouched my support for recruiting Pavlich on this site before. Someone like Williams I'd be a bit more hesitant about, and it would depend who and what is offered for trade.

I reckon Skipworth is that established recruit whose form threatened to lock out a young player before he was injured. He was doing everything right, and his poise across hb and hf was terrific. A lot of the young players needed that.

This won't happen, but I would move heaven and earth to get Paul Chapman. :thumbsu:

Is Josh Drummond out of contract? Would LOVE him in our side.

I'll go back to bed now, cos I'm still dreamin! :(

BTW. Does anyone know thew contract status of Ben McKinley at the Eagles. Local boy who might be enticed home.

McKinley signed a new contract at the end of last season, unsure of the length though.

Richard Tambling - Maybe Blingers needs the Farren Ray treatmnet a new environment, plenty of brothers around him and a gamestyle that suits.

Simon Buckley - I like the look of this kid and would be perfect from our gamestyle.

Michael Fritto - Good pick, would put some steele in our side and has a few strings to his bow.

Ben Mckinley - Nice player that would give us another goal kicking option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back