Merged Delistings/Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mark Williams: A Bomber?

Would be one of the most comfortable forwards in the AFL, i dont see him wanting to go anywhere.

Gets to take the 3rd tall every week. Hardly gets dropped and knows it (Chocking action against Port)

Past his best heaps of Hawks fans don't rate him anymore either

After the s**t we went through with various "off-field" indiscretions and players far too comfortable with their performances, we'd want another bloke who (allegedly) suffers from the same mindset?

After the s**t we went through with various "off-field" indiscretions and players far too comfortable with their performances, we'd want another bloke who (allegedly) suffers from the same mindset?

My thoughts exactly.

His attitude is not appropriate for the Essendon Football Club and I hardly think he'd offer us much.

Sure, he's done some good things over his career, but I don't see the need to be honest.

Could be good at a club like Melbourne or the Bulldogs though!

Not everyone at Hawthorn thinks he's lazy or has a bad attitude. His style of play looks lazy, but he puts in some yards when it comes to presenting as an option on the wing. His defensive pressure has been pretty good this year too so he might be improving his attitude.

I think he'd be a great fit at the bombers. You encourage fast ball movement and guys like him do pretty well in those situations as he's lightning quick.

He's certainly not surplus to requirements at Hawthorn though. He was our best forward on GF day and arguably best on ground vs the Saints in the prelim, so we'd be stupid to get rid of him.

He's certainly not surplus to requirements at Hawthorn though. He was our best forward on GF day and arguably best on ground vs the Saints in the prelim, so we'd be stupid to get rid of him.

I can't see him leaving but don't forget Blumfield was one of the best on ground in the 2000 premiership.

Having said that, Rioli will play more and more in the midfield and therefore Williams will play a bigger role, again.

Does anyone know if the salary cap will be an issue?

Why would we need him?

A bit of insurance maybe that Neagle and Gumby don't become who we want them to be. A speedy medium tall forward who is a proven goal kicker. Why wouldn't he fit in you should be asking. I don't know but, Gumby, Neagle, Williams, Davey, Monfries, with any other sounds like a nice potent forward line to me.

Anyway, was just something tha popped into my thinking today, thought I'd see what others thought.

FWIW, I think his attitude has changed significantly, like Lovett, I think he was told to pull his head in a bit.

Exactly the type of player we need, but he's just not the one. Him 4 years ago is exactly what we're after. We're looking for his type of player, not neccesarily tall but a leading quick forward, who's in the 20-24 age bracket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of insurance maybe that Neagle and Gumby don't become who we want them to be. A speedy medium tall forward who is a proven goal kicker. Why wouldn't he fit in you should be asking. I don't know but, Gumby, Neagle, Williams, Davey, Monfries, with any other sounds like a nice potent forward line to me.

If we could get him it'd be nice but I don't really think we'd need him though. We have a fair few players who could make up a good forward line. The other issue is he'd cost us.

Exactly the type of player we need, but he's just not the one. Him 4 years ago is exactly what we're after. We're looking for his type of player, not neccesarily tall but a leading quick forward, who's in the 20-24 age bracket.

Ah, another one of those poster are we Casey? He is jus 26, so he must be too old to suit our needs? Plenty of years left, experienced, and would fit nicely into our window of opportunity?

Maybe you are right. Noone over 24 is worth considering recruiting. :rolleyes:

Re: Players we would want from other clubs?

I'd love Andrew Mackie in the Red and Black, although that would be extremely unlikely to happen.

Mackie actually doesn't defend - nice commoditiy to have when your team is flying, IMO will be found out once Geelong decline.

Does anyone know if the salary cap will be an issue?

Currently playing 93% of the cap with front loaded contracts in place.

The downside is that there's some massive talent being underpaid that'll require adequate compensation at some point. On the latter point, 'adequate compensation' can take a few different forms depending on what motivates the individual. For some it's all about the money and nothing else matters. For others, the chance to continue playing with mates with whom bonds have been forged over years is more important. For others, playing in a successful side trumps other considerations. For most though, it's a mix of those things.

Williams was our only focal point through some pretty dark days. He's been there for the slump and the subsequent rebuild - surviving ruthless pruning and re-shaping of list and gameplan. Clarkson publicly announced more than once that Hawthorn would never win a flag with Williams playing FF. For a young bloke coming of 80 odd goals a year being told that, it would have been 'tough love' indeed. He's needed to learn new tricks, to work harder, to bring others in to the game more, and to accept a lesser share of the spotlight. All these things he's done without complaint. Furthermore, he's done them successfully.

For Williams, and for plenty of others, accepting less than market value is going to be the sacrifice they'll have to make to be part of the Hawthorn side in the coming years. It's nothing new to modern football though, plenty of others have been down that road before. Geelong players are doing it now, Lions players did it before, Swans players have done it, (& Carlton just cheats).

Anyway, was just something tha popped into my thinking today, thought I'd see what others thought.

FWIW, I think his attitude has changed significantly, like Lovett, I think he was told to pull his head in a bit.

With a bit of luck with injury that could be our forward line at the end of the year...without having to give up any players or draft picks.

We just need Gumby's back and Williams' finger to get better :D

What is becoming apparent, is that Mark Williams is fast becoming the forgotten man over there. Bearing in mind, this is a guy also capable of kicking 50+ goals in a season.

Its funny because I've heard all this same talk last year about Mark Williams being the "forgotten man" behind Buddy and Roughy, and these same questions were asked about snagging him. And you know what happened? He along with a group of 7 other players went on to sign a new two year deal (August 08).

He's actually very happy to stay under the shadows of Buddy and Roughy and most importantly stay a Hawk. Yet every year it seems the same theory comes out that he would be looking to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back