Miami Heat <2008-09>

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently, Andre Miller is interested in Miami.

If he does want to go...we would most likely do a S&T with you guys...but you have nothing we want. Maybe a 3rd party involved.

And no way Hill is going #3. He won't go in the Top 5.

Wow it's almost been a month since this thread has been touched!!

Our off-court off-season officially starts this Friday morning (Melbourne time) with the draft. We currently have picks #43 and #60. I can't be bothered looking through the previous pages but I'm sure I've mentioned more than once that if he's still on the board at #43 it's a lock we'll take Jack McClinton. He's a combo guard so probably goes against what we're subscribing to as a franchise but he's home-grown and good friends with both Dorrell and Wade. No idea with #60. Luke Nevill (an Australian) perhaps??

I hope everyone's ready for a big couple of months. Anything can happen. I think it does start this Friday. I'm fairly sure Riley will buy a pick in the first round, anywhere from about 18 or 19 onwards which will bring us a player ready to contribute straight away (I'm loving Hansbrough or BJ Mullens).

In the last couple of days Wade has come and said he will re-sign if Riley makes the right moves to win a championship. This could mean any number of things but I'm quietly hoping a Boston like trading rampage for Amare and another big superstar to head to South Beach.

Be thankful that Miami have heaps of options, have one of the best GM's in the league and are in one of the best positions of all the franchises over the next 2 seasons.

Sorry yes it is a player option on JON's contract at about 24mil a year so he would be either very very stupid or very keen to get out which i don't think is the case so i think he will be back next year... Although his trade value would be enormous given his massive expiring contract and teams looking at 2010 FA eg Chicago... but i doubt a trade would be the right call... hold on to the contracts and offer someone a max contract in 2010 FA.. along with signing wade that is :)... I hope we go after Ariza as i think he fits Coach's style of defence first plus his age would be a good pick-up... Then concentrate the 2010 FA period on a Big eg Stoudamire, LeBron :), Yao Ming, or Chris Bosh...

Lineup for 2011 season:

Chalmers - with a couple years under his belt brilliant
Wade - will be 30 or so and have less dependence on him
Ariza - Def lockdown or LeBron :D
Beasley - Scorer + improved d after 2 years. still only be 21-22 :eek:
Bosh/Stoudamire - hopefully....

**** that the last thing we need is another soft, jumpshooting bigman next to beasley. get rid of haslem/JO and go after Tyson Chandler+ Chris Wilcox.

**** that the last thing we need is another soft, jumpshooting bigman next to beasley. get rid of haslem/JO and go after Tyson Chandler+ Chris Wilcox.

HAHAHAHAH!

Are you serious!

Tyson Chandler = Just nothing, without Chris Paul.
Chris Wilcox = Just nothing.

Jermaine is better than both them put together...

HAHAHAHAH!

Are you serious!

Tyson Chandler = Just nothing, without Chris Paul.
Chris Wilcox = Just nothing.

Jermaine is better than both them put together...

Ever notice why we always got killed in rebounds/interior scoring? We wouldn't need Tyson Chandler to score, we have Wade/Beasley for that. What Tyson gives us is a big body to bang in the low post + fantastic rebounding (especially offensive rebounding) and a good post defender. Also don't discredit Wade's playmaking ability which could help with chandler.

And when Wilcox was given solid minutes in Seattle, he was averaging 14/8 on 59% shooting. He'd be a fantastic backup center/powerforward

What I have to say is...

I'd take take Bosh or Amare' over Chandler or Wilcox any day of the week.

I'd also take Beasley over both Chandler and Wilcox put together in any deal...

Hi all,

Alright alots happened since the last post...

Riley has come out and said he will not be making any MAJOR moves until he see's wade's signature on that contract extension on July 12....

Wade has come out and said he believes the organisation will make the right moves to be a contender... Yet he also made an earlier statement to say he would like to wait until the 2010 FA period to weigh up his options...

So there is a few mixed messages coming out... I think if wade signs on July 12 we will see some major moves from riley... Bosh/Amare type trade... MLE to go to a good PG who will take it to play with Wade/Bosh or Amare/Beasley

The heat have been in training for a while and have been working Beasley as a combo SF/PF... He has been doing dribbling and passing drills with the pg/sg group... They believe he can be best utilised as a Hedo Turkolu, Rashard Lewis type combo role.. He is getting alot quicker i hear...

They say JO is looking really good... working on his explosiveness and trying to get his leap back...

The heat have also said they would like to buy there way into the 1st round... I think they will but not too sure who they are targeting... I don't watch much college hoops or keep up with the players... Though i believe in the heat as they proved last year by moving up to take Chalmers...

So the draft is on friday morning aussie time and will be interesting to see what we do there... Then i think it will be a slow few weeks till July 12 when i think thigs will really heat up for all teams...

Check back in later

Cheers
Jacky

Riley has come out and said he will not be making any MAJOR moves until he see's wade's signature on that contract extension on July 12....

Wade has come out and said he believes the organisation will make the right moves to be a contender...
So Riley wont make a move until Wade signs.

And Wade wont sign until Riley makes a move.

This will be like watching 2 people running into each other over and over with garbage cans on their head.

MLE to go to a good PG who will take it to play with Wade/Bosh or Amare/Beasley
I liked Chalmers. He's not a PG and was a sloppy ball handler, but you dont need pure PGs with guys like Wade/Kobe/James. You need a shooter and Chalmers will become an elite shooter.

They say JO is looking really good... working on his explosiveness and trying to get his leap back...
They say that about him every year.

He is done as a force.

You got 13/6/2 in 30 mins from him last year. Hope for more of that at best.

sorry i forgot to add there are a few other scenarios i am hearing.... and this one i don't mind...

- a felton and Wallace trade
then go after Chandler and another peice...
Trades include haslem, blout, wright
move JO to his natural PF spot...

Felton - Chalmers - Head
Wade - Cook - Moon - Head
Wallace - Beasley - Moon
Beasley - JO - JA
Chandler - JO - Maglour - JA

all this takes out our ability to be a player in the 2010 FA period though...
We resign Wade on July 12 obviously...

Cheers
Jacky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Riley wont make a move until Wade signs.

And Wade wont sign until Riley makes a move.

This will be like watching 2 people running into each other over and over with garbage cans on their head.

hahaha i like it... though i think Wade was just putting the ball back in Rileys court for a change...

I liked Chalmers. He's not a PG and was a sloppy ball handler, but you dont need pure PGs with guys like Wade/Kobe/James. You need a shooter and Chalmers will become an elite shooter.

I liked him.. I think he is young so that may be why he came across as "sloppy" but in my opinion we need a vet PG.. someone else who can bring the ball up when wade is out and who can control the tempo of games... Chalmers will become a great scorer but that won't happen until he get's his confidence up or license to shoot i'm nt sure which yet because he has shown he can shoot but prefers to dish it instead...

They say that about him every year.

He is done as a force.

You got 13/6/2 in 30 mins from him last year. Hope for more of that at best.

Yeah i know... Although they weren't saying that much last year... I am hoping with some help and less pressure on him eg beas, Bosh, Maglor (who i though stepped up ok the end of last year) and a few less minutes he can be a good def C...

Cheers
Jacky

That wuld ruin our salary cap for next year... RJ is on something like 20mil for the next 2-3seasons i think i read so getting him would mean the end of getting a Bosh/Amare type player as we couldn't afford them... Plus we are trying out Beas at SF so i think a big is what we need... Although i wouldn't mind seeing Chalmers, Wade, RJ, Beas, JO but the fact is that is nearly all we could do in regards to trades as Wade's, RJ and JO's contracts would take us to the limit...

I don't think we will see much from the heat till July 12 until Riley get's an idea on what wade is thinking... anything before that would just be minor salary type trades...

The player types were after haven't really been mentioned which is good... The PG's Bibby, Miller ect... and the Bigs: Bosh, Amare, Kaman ect... so just hold out till after july 12 to see some action from the heat...

Will also beinteresting to see if we buy into the first round of the draft tomorrow morning...

Cheers
Jacky

Ok so a surprisingly quiet day for us today, although I don't think it has ended yet. I expect us to make at least 1 more trade.

- We selected Marcus Thornton with pick #42, he was traded soon after however to NO for 2 future 2nd round picks (1 in each of 2010 & 2012)...good bit of business.
- With pick #60 we draft Robert Dozier from Memphis. He fits a need but I'm not expecting too much from him.
- We traded a future 2nd round pick + cash to the Lakers for Patrick Beverly (who went at #41). He's a point guard who played internationally last season. Don't know much about it except he's fairly highly rated. Surprised though that Riley said he wont be drafting any point guards and will be getting a veteran in to help Chalmers so Beverly is one for the future you'd think.

For what it's worth, we drafted Thornton ahead of Jack McClinton, Danny Green, Chase Budinger, Nick Calathes & Patrick Mills.

ok so the heat din't buy there way into the first round even though LA had there 29th pick up for sale... :(

With our 43rd pick we took Marcus Thorton a 6-4 SG who has a quick release and can shoot.... We then traded Marcus to NO for 2 future second round picks... We then traded one of the second rounder picks and a little cash consideration to LAL for the 42nd pick Patrick Beverley a 6-1 PG who can light it up... "a junk yard dog" said a espn analyser.... So essentially we got the pick above us and also a future second round pick... :thumbsu:... The 60th pick we got Robert Dozier who is a 6-9 Forward who can defend and who is extremely long and athletic....

Still no sign of any trades though.... :( Not a bad draft considering we didn't have the picks.... although we could have got Patrick Mills if we wanted... we prob could have traded the 60th pick and some cash for a pick higher than 55 so we could get him but ahhh well...

Peace
Jacky

Heat Draft Summary:

Pick 42: Patrick Beverley (6'1" PG from Arkansas)
Pick 60: Robert Dozier (6'10" PF/C from Memphis)

Heat Draft Trades:

Pick43: Marcus Thornton (Traded from Heat to Hornets)
Pick42: Patrick Beverley (Traded from Lakers to Heat)

Patrick Beverley:

6'1" PG, an ex-Arkansas player.. Left Arkansas 1 year ago due to Academic trouble which eventually led to his departure.. He then went to Europe, where he would be playing Professionally Basketball for DNI (in Ukraine). Patrick was known to have disciplined problems at Arkansas, but recent scouters have prased his move to Europe, saying it has matured him dramatically.

Patrick is a very dynamic player.. For 6'1" he's very good on getting boards.. Streaky Scorer..

NBA comparison: Daniel Gibson

Robert Dozier:

6'10" PF/C.. Very light frame at 212lbs.. Heat probably won't sign him... He's a good, reliable defender, good length.. Has shooting range all the way to the 3 point line.. Was at Memphis with a constantly winning team.. Too light for a PF or C.. Will only be a SF if he wants a decent go in the NBA.. But would need to perfect his shot if so..

NBA comparison: Maceo Baston

Heat Draft Summary:

Left Arkansas 1 year ago due to Academic trouble which eventually led to his departure.. Patrick was known to have disciplined problems at Arkansas, but recent scouters have prased his move to Europe, saying it has matured him dramatically.

They have said that a few of his team mates and him had someone else write up there test and he choose to take the fall for it all and that's why he left Arkansas...

Cheers
Jacky

Now that things have somewhat settled down a little, I'm liking our draft day yesterday. Riley said he was "very active" through the 20's and 30's trying to land picks but said that what other GM's were asking was way too much.

Beverly I think will play next season. I'd be confident in saying he's better than Quinn. He's a PG that we rated very highly and still had his number called before AJ Price and Mills in a PG heavy draft from the Ukraine 2nd division. He's a great athlete and capable of scoring when needed but they say his biggest strength is his D and his rebounding and blocking ability. I'd say maybe around 10 mpg next season as things currently stand.

Dozier will have his work cut out but he's more than capable of seeing a contract for next season. Athletic, can rebound, runs the floor and shoots 3's, he sounds like a bloke we need. He's mostly played at the 4 but Riley said they like he's prospects of him as a 3. I know he went 60, but I guess all you can really hope for from your pick 60 is for him to have a chance, no one expects him to be starting or playing massive minutes night in, night out. He was largely unused at Memphis because of the system he played in, but he was highly spoken of by Calipari and spent most of his college career as a role player.

Chad Ford gave us a B for the draft and I agree. It could've been better, I think if we'd have kept Thornton (projected 1st round) or had taken a Budinger or McClinton or another player with high trade value, it might have been better. But then again if we didn't take Thornton I'd be saying we should've taken him. We got pick 42 + a pick and gave up 43 and some $ so that would suggest it was a good piece of business.

Unfortunately in such a weak draft, Dozier has no chance of a contract yet :(.

Too skinny to be a PF now... Jump shot isn't reliable enough for him to be a SF this season...

Remove this Banner Ad

Miami Heat <2008-09>

Remove this Banner Ad

Back