Michael Hibberd

Remove this Banner Ad

Think second rounder is where the deal would end up.

Not sure about that - Demons sound like they have the 2nd round pick tucked away for an academy kid at the Dandenong stingrays who is touted to go top 10. I would have thought a player swap was more on the cards - you cant rule a bloke out called Jack Grimes, he needs a new start and maybe an exchange of later picks. Not sure Essendon would be in the drivers seat on this one - might be more a case of both players could do with a fresh start.

Not sure about that - Demons sound like they have the 2nd round pick tucked away for an academy kid at the Dandenong stingrays who is touted to go top 10. I would have thought a player swap was more on the cards - you cant rule a bloke out called Jack Grimes, he needs a new start and maybe an exchange of later picks. Not sure Essendon would be in the drivers seat on this one - might be more a case of both players could do with a fresh start.

Dees aren't eligible to select anyone through an Academy system this year.

Dees aren't eligible to select anyone through an Academy system this year.

I was told the Academy system was yet to be decided .... but as part of the AFLPA agreement clubs will get access to their academy kids as per GWS, Swans, Brisbane etc ... but I stand to be corrected ... thats just what I was told.

I was told the Academy system was yet to be decided .... but as part of the AFLPA agreement clubs will get access to their academy kids as per GWS, Swans, Brisbane etc ... but I stand to be corrected ... thats just what I was told.

I had a look and couldn't find confirmation that teams can't select any players this year. I'm 99% sure that's right though.

I had a look and couldn't find confirmation that teams can't select any players this year. I'm 99% sure that's right though.

You could well be right. I was told the deal is done for non-English speaking background kids & indigenous kids. However, its yet to be finalised for kids from English speaking backgrounds due to the fact the AFL has not completed agreements with SA & WA clubs at this stage.

But think the point has been strongly made its a farce GWS & Sydney have access to academy kids - both teams in the 8 - yet Essendon, Fremantle etc who are currently 17th & 18th dont have ... again I was told in principal the AFL agreed with that argument.

You could well be right. I was told the deal is done for non-English speaking background kids & indigenous kids. However, its yet to be finalised for kids from English speaking backgrounds due to the fact the AFL has not completed agreements with SA & WA clubs at this stage.

But think the point has been strongly made its a farce GWS & Sydney have access to academy kids - both teams in the 8 - yet Essendon, Fremantle etc who are currently 17th & 18th dont have ... again I was told in principal the AFL agreed with that argument.

Yeah it's been agreed to (the zones allocated) but the Academies have to be established and the kids then developed to the point where clubs have done enough work so they are eligible for discounted, priority selection.

"I've spoken to him (Hurley) several times and caught up with him a couple of weeks ago … I saw him on the weekend," Worsfold said.
"I'm more than comfortable that Michael's aware of what we're building here.
"It's not my call to make about him re-committing for the longer term (but) I'm confident that's the way it'll go."

I thought that the banned players weren't allowed to talk "footy" with the club?

They were talking about the interior design of Hurley's new mansion. Woos ha has some experience in this area of life hence the local coffee catch up.

No footy talk here. Woosha didn't even have an EFC top on

Yeah it's been agreed to (the zones allocated) but the Academies have to be established and the kids then developed to the point where clubs have done enough work so they are eligible for discounted, priority selection.

Ok I stand corrected - my understanding was the zones are finalised as per Northern academies - but again the AFL agreed in principal with the farcical situation of top 8 teams having access to discounted players but not bottom 8 sides having the same access. I was told Gill Mac was very evasive and non-committal until negotiations had been fully completed with WA & SA clubs. Maybe its a case of watch this space. Cheers:thumbsu:

Grimes is a free agent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The pick for Melksham ended up being 30 with Academy and father son players. So makes it a little better. Personally wanted to trade a 3rd rounder. However hopefully this is taken into consideration if we trade for Hibberd.
The only difference academy makes is that it pushes the later picks forward. Under the old system, Morgan/Redman would have still been the 29th and 30th best players in the draft.

The only difference academy makes is that it pushes the later picks forward. Under the old system, Morgan/Redman would have still been the 29th and 30th best players in the draft.
Yeah true but just saying there are still 5 players taken out of the talent pool with the academy. However that's a different agreement I guess.

Which means because of academy picks we got the 30th instead of 25th best player (all else being equal which it normally isn't between recruitment teams). So you need to factor that into any trade.

I know many won't agree but if Hibberd was to leave I'd take that in a heartbeat

I know many won't agree but if Hibberd was to leave I'd take that in a heartbeat
Me too, like Grimes, he's top class if we were to take the gamble on him staying fit..

I saw Hibberd last night at Crown ...I kid you not, he was walking out of the place and was in a suit as though he'd just been in a meeting or formal party, But it was 3.30 in the arvo...In his hand he had an inside out Melbourne football club jumper....My jaw hit the ground, I was going to get a photo but he was gone in a flash...Geez he's a massive unit..Hope he stays but didn't like or quite understand what I saw...:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Hibberd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back