Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO sacking Voss isn't the answer...

We should be support him, with assistants that are great in our areas of need "strategy & Game Day"
Assistant coaches that have been part of, successful coaching groups, no more "yes men"

Instead of wasting $1m of members money, on bottles of wine...
Why, haven't the board done a behind the scenes review of where we are lacking and go out and fix it? It's astonishing to me...

You can see it Voss & Co are under so much pressure,
they look to have fallen into the coaching trap (of Death), they seem to be starting to over coach to try and fix it...

The players are under so much pressure they look confused, panic with the ball, become slow and have lost their flair...
Just let them play to their natural instincts, flair and take the game on... Like Collingwood, Melbourne and Richmond

Last edited:

We should be support him, with assistants that are great in our areas of need "strategy & Game Day"
Assistant coaches that have been part of, successful coaching groups, no more "yes men"

Why, haven't the board done a review of where we are lacking and go out and fix it? It's astonishing to me...

they look to have fallen into the coaching trap (of Death), they seem to be starting to over coach to try and fix it...

The players are under so much pressure they look confused, panic with the ball, become slow and have lost their flair...
Just let them play to their natural instincts, flair and take the game on... Like Collingwood, Melbourne and Richmond
If you're referring to the article about the coterie trip to Penfolds, it wasn't member's money. Penfolds are a sponsor - they're giving us money, not the other way around.

Any board of any club (or company for that matter) should be constantly reviewing the performance of the organisation. I'd like to think that is happening! A formal review doesn't need to be announced for it to be occuring.

Why, haven't the board done a review of where we are lacking and go out and fix it? It's astonishing to me...

I agree for the most part. But I aren't sure we need another review.
We just need the board to ask the hard questions and make improvements in the football department on a continuous basis.

If you're referring to the article about the coterie trip to Penfolds, it wasn't member's money. Penfolds are a sponsor - they're giving us money, not the other way around.

Any board of any club (or company for that matter) should be constantly reviewing the performance of the organisation. I'd like to think that is happening! A formal review doesn't need to be announced for it to be occuring.
great minds think alike....haha

Wasn't aware of that, makes the $1m of wine more palatable :grinv1:

Last edited:
Well we should be doing a review every couple of years.

That is, two years ago a whole bunch of problems got raised, have a review / check in end of year to see how these have been addressed, the people, staff, players etc that raised those concerns are they satisified they have been dealt with appropriately? If not what else can we do to improve etc.

Just common sense and good governance rather than waiting for something to go monumentally wrong before acting.

Well we should be doing a review every couple of years.

That is, two years ago a whole bunch of problems got raised, have a review / check in end of year to see how these have been addressed, the people, staff, players etc that raised those concerns are they satisified they have been dealt with appropriately? If not what else can we do to improve etc.

Just common sense and good governance rather than waiting for something to go monumentally wrong before acting.

Review is a dirty word for those that aren't run properly.

As with any organization, the reality is the state of review should be a constant one. Not just something they do when the club isn't performing on the field.

Review is a dirty word for those that aren't run properly.

As with any organization, the reality is the state of review should be a constant one. Not just something they do when the club isn't performing on the field.
Keep everyone accountable and why where not improving

As much as I dislike Bucks and his known hatred of Carlton he did actually say some pertinent points this morning on SEN.

We signed up or need Voss the player. The hardened tough bastard that captained and led a team of brutal warriors to three premierships, that did not tolerate the bullshit we are serving up now on field, a player that would never use the word "nourishment" or tires to find positives in lacklustre performances.

The Voss that I see before me in the presser's and media gig's is a far cry from the brutal, respected and fearless captain he was as a player, that's who this teams needs to get out of this slump and start playing the way we as supporters want to see.

As much as I dislike Bucks and his known hatred of Carlton he did actually say some pertinent points this morning on SEN.

We signed up or need Voss the player. The hardened tough bastard that captained and led a team of brutal warriors to three premierships, that did not tolerate the bullshit we are serving up now on field, a player that would never use the word "nourishment" or tires to find positives in lacklustre performances.

The Voss that I see before me in the presser's and media gig's is a far cry from the brutal, respected and fearless captain he was as a player, that's who this teams needs to get out of this slump and start playing the way we as supporters want to see.
Yep, the list has been mollycoddled way too long. Bolton was introducing the concept of resiliency and mental fortitude into the list, shame his lack of AFL experience made the weak minded scoff.

Problem with Voss is he started off too much as a more friend coach. Should have started as more father-figure/strict and after a few seasons introduced the friendly layer once the list was responding and clicking.

Bring back Jezza
They will be too scared to lose with the punishment they would get at training
It is a worthwhile comparison. Firstly Carlton's youth learnt onfield leadership from captain coaches Barassi and Jezza.

Jezza had

8 premiership players to lead the kids
Doull, Armstrong, Keogh, Mckay, Percy Jones, Southby, Jezza, Heath

3 mid career A/B graders
Mclure, Fitzpatrick, Austin

This list of 2023 is totally absent in that onfield leadership quality. It is not a coaching issue.

A great Carlton President would bring in a great leader from another club just as Barassi taught
mid career players like Nicholls, Slivagni, Gallagher how to win.

Can not stand the media drivel comparing Voss to Teague. I can't remember any coridoor football under teague
I would love to see our heat map on coridoor usage versus dogs but I think Carlton tried to use it.
Poor skill execution is largely a skill issue and partly a confidence issue (a losing mentality).
I think whoever, takes over from Voss, should it happen, will have a solid foundation to build upon

It is a worthwhile comparison. Firstly Carlton's youth learnt onfield leadership from captain coaches Barassi and Jezza.

Jezza had

8 premiership players to lead the kids
Doull, Armstrong, Keogh, Mckay, Percy Jones, Southby, Jezza, Heath

3 mid career A/B graders
Mclure, Fitzpatrick, Austin

This list of 2023 is totally absent in that onfield leadership quality. It is not a coaching issue.

A great Carlton President would bring in a great leader from another club just as Barassi taught
mid career players like Nicholls, Slivagni, Gallagher how to win.
George Harris was the best.
I agree with that assesment. Been saying it all along. No core proffesional leaders on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long until West Coast turf out Adam Simpson?

Should we be asking the question of his management now?

Guys is a premiership coach with a terrible injury riddled list. Sort of guy who would make a great senior assistant, see choco at Richmond and Melbourne. Ideal IMO.

Guys is a premiership coach with a terrible injury riddled list. Sort of guy who would make a great senior assistant, see choco at Richmond and Melbourne. Ideal IMO.
Absolutely. Question is would he be interested? Worth asking the question.

Absolutely. Question is would he be interested? Worth asking the question.
That's it, we would be insane if we did not ask his management. Perfect fit, likely to be outgoing.

Just on coaching, I don't like our assistant group, never have, they mostly come from clubs who were about as good as us or worse during their time.

We've gone hard at development coaches and so far 90% of the players on our list have gone backwards. Hasn't paid off or even looked like paying off. At least not yet. Definitely need to keep and eye on this.

We need to target coaches who align with our weaknesses.

1. Ball movement. Midfield coach. We have an unrecognised midfield coach. Why is it, when it comes to assistants we get the Wish version. This has been the case the last 20 years. Last time we had a really good assistant group we were a top 4 side but that was 23 years ago and since then our assistant coaching group has been one of the worst groups in the league. There is so much wrong with our midfield coaching it's not funny. Complete lack of ability to play a pressure game of footy. Inability to position well to produce good ball movement in open play. Falls to pieces due to opposition tactics such as one on one and blocking. We can't keep putting up with this we need a new midfield coach.

2. Forwards coach, more specifically small forwards coach. Go hard and get Betts to Carlton. We're dead set hopeless in the small forward department. Not so much lacking talent, but underperforming. We have some young talented small forwards who are doing absolutely nothing from week to week. We have two Colman medallists in the team who struggle to score goals.

We need a good clean out of assistant coaches and if that doesn't happen then those who can't get the job done need to go. Brad Lloyd, who has he got on? A bunch of nobodies and failures. I can't see how he survives if he can't put together a good team of assistants.

That's it, we would be insane if we did not ask his management. Perfect fit, likely to be outgoing.

Just on coaching, I don't like our assistant group, never have, they mostly come from clubs who were about as good as us or worse during their time.

We've gone hard at development coaches and so far 90% of the players on our list have gone backwards. Hasn't paid off or even looked like paying off. At least not yet. Definitely need to keep and eye on this.

We need to target coaches who align with our weaknesses.

1. Ball movement. Midfield coach. We have an unrecognised midfield coach. Why is it, when it comes to assistants we get the Wish version. This has been the case the last 20 years. Last time we had a really good assistant group we were a top 4 side but that was 23 years ago and since then our assistant coaching group has been one of the worst groups in the league. There is so much wrong with our midfield coaching it's not funny. Complete lack of ability to play a pressure game of footy. Inability to position well to produce good ball movement in open play. Falls to pieces due to opposition tactics such as one on one and blocking. We can't keep putting up with this we need a new midfield coach.

2. Forwards coach, more specifically small forwards coach. Go hard and get Betts to Carlton. We're dead set hopeless in the small forward department. Not so much lacking talent, but underperforming. We have some young talented small forwards who are doing absolutely nothing from week to week. We have two Colman medallists in the team who struggle to score goals.

We need a good clean out of assistant coaches and if that doesn't happen then those who can't get the job done need to go. Brad Lloyd, who has he got on? A bunch of nobodies and failures. I can't see how he survives if he can't put together a good team of assistants.
This is nonsense. They cant kick staight is the problem. Get too wide and have hardest possible angled shots and refuse to use the correct kicking techniques (apparently thats on the forwards coach) and then miss sitters too. Basically lairising in front of goal.

He is contracted until the end of 2024 and is getting paid a 7 figure salary.
Eagles can certainly afford to pay him out but it would destroy their soft cap.

The last name on that list is a real concern. Has been the head of a failing football department for 5 years. He’s onto coach number 3 who isn’t looking too good. He’s ultimately responsible for everythign within the football department - players, coaching, list management, high performance, etc. Credible arguments can be made for failings in all of those areas. Time to move on from Brad.
IIRC, wasn't B70 alluding the Lloyd also being gone when we had the cleanout?

So what you're saying is we want Imaginary Voss, not Real Voss?

nourishment​

1. UNCOUNTABLE NOUN
If something provides a person, animal, or plant with nourishment, it provides them with the food that is necessary for life, growth, and good health.
The mother provides the embryo with nourishment and a place to grow.
He was unable to take nourishment for several days.

Synonyms: food, nutrition, sustenance, nutriment More Synonyms of nourishment
2. COACHING JARGON
Cliche employed by AFL coach in a desperate attempt to appease frustrated supporters.
He was unable to take nourishment through scoring capability.
Synonyms: reward for effort, kicking a goal,
I'm lost for an answer

What do you want Voss to say in his presser?
It's not really the presser that is the issue is it?

To answer your question though, I think most of us hope for him to say: look, the plan we had in the offseason didn't pan out. we're looking at revamping the gameplan to be more viable and be competitive with the benchmarks of the comp.

New head of football

I know it’s the enemy but that is gold class
A perfect example of culture……winning culture…that is a group comfortable in their own skin

Well done to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back