Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

for example: you suggested that Voss has erred in NOT adding talls to the defensive mix- and I stated Voss's choices are: Young and Akuie in VFL - do you have any tall hiding away in VFL to add to this list? Do you prefer Young over ANY of the selected defenders that played yesterday?

Thanks for replying. As for this bit.. yes as much as I don’t rate Young, I think he should have played to take Cox. This would have freed up Kemp to be more attacking and have a more favourable matchup. I also prefer Young going through the ruck than McKay. Last thing we need is McKay getting smashed and hurt in the ruck. I said in the lead up to this weeks game that we’ll play Weitering on McStay and Kemp on Cox even though we shouldn’t. Another poster pointed out he thought we’d go Weitering on Cox and Kemp on McStay. In the end, sadly I was right. It was an obvious mismatch we should have accounted for. For all Young’s faults, we need to play two genuine KPDs- it creates better matchups and allows for our third talls (Gov, Kemp) to actually play as third talls .

Thanks for replying. As for this bit.. yes as much as I don’t rate Young, I think he should have played to take Cox. This would have freed up Kemp to be more attacking and have a more favourable matchup. I also prefer Young going through the ruck than McKay. Last thing we need is McKay getting smashed and hurt in the ruck. I said in the lead up to this weeks game that we’ll play Weitering on McStay and Kemp on Cox even though we shouldn’t. Another poster pointed out he thought we’d go Weitering on Cox and Kemp on McStay. In the end, sadly I was right. It was an obvious mismatch we should have accounted for. For all Young’s faults, we need to play genuine KPD- it just creates better matchups.

I stated 2 years ago - not this year nto a month ago not before that buty 2 years ago that a second KPD became #1 priority for Carlton - as soon as it became obvious that Young was hopeless and Durdin was just another Oscar McDonald massive fail by Austin- in fact we are now lumbered with Young on a2 or is it three more years on contract?

I dont disagree with the wants or wishes of people who say we need more leg speed in the midfield-i just ask 0- well ok WHERE exactly is BVoss going to get this from?

th elist is not complete and the ups and downs are accnrtuated by injury prone players who never come good.

none of this is on Voss and I hate the finger pointed at the coach on here.because the criticisms dont add up to his fault. it is a Carl;ton thing to do .

Was there anyone in Australia watching the game that didn't know we were going to keep trying to force our way through the middle then bomb it into the forward line to what seemed like an army of Collingwood players? Not only do we make it hard for ourselves, we also make it so easy for our opponents. We were played off the park for three quarters playing our "A game".

We should be tossing Voss out at the end of the year, but instead we have another two years of this crap ahead of us. I genuinely fear if Hansen goes to West Coast what our game plan is going to look like. I don't think he is particularly special but he's all we've got. The club was meant to get reinforcements after last years mid season train wreck but all they came with was Jordan Russell?

The only hope Voss has is to give up 300-400k of his salary and we get more tactical help. If Hansen leaves we headhunt the best assistant coach available and make him the first $1 million assistant coach. Those in the industry would know the best ones, Josh Carr comes to mind but he's been promised the Port job.

Only 2 for me.

Lions and Dogs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

5 weeks ago it was a two horse race - Sydney and Carlton - things change… all isnt completely lost yet. We have 3 very winnable games whilst teams around us play each other. I remember in 2021 Melbourne looked like they were slipping and came back from 40+ points down at Geelong to come back and win after the siren. They didn’t lose another game thereafter. Last nights last quarter might have been the penny drop moment for players and coaches to forget about adding layers and just play to our strengths.

Last edited:
Problem we have is our best footy was on display in June and plenty of clubs have gone to work on our gameplan….sure injures and players returning from injury haven’t helped us maintain our form but clubs have definitely defended stoppages harder which has taken several weeks to rectify

If we were to turn this around it would be based on belief and man management.

I can’t see major changes being implemented this late in the season but more so a stripping back of the gameplan ala last year and just having a crack

IMO, Voss is being let down by his assistance and high performance team. I do question his selection process though.
I might also be wrong, but more importantly, I hope Cook has his finger on the pulse and makes the hard calls come seasons end.
I understand why you’d be thinking the HP team are letting him down, but why do you think the Assistants are letting him down?

To go from being second to down to eight with *, the Hawks and the Pies breathing down our necks is a collapse of pretty epic proportions.

We've had one really good season under Vossy, but his first one and his third season so far have been marred by late season lapses in form.

People say that we are around where we should be and perhaps that is true to an extent. To go from where we were at the end of June to where we are now, is very disappointing and demoralising though.

The reality is we most likely have blown our best chance in the last twenty four years to finish in the top four. There definitely needs to be a review looking into why this happened come the end of the season imo.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't seen it, don't want to see it, but get the sense it was to keep players more on-side because it was the coaches that have been failing them.
I don't subscribe to it being just the coaches or just the players.

This failure is collective.

We should be tossing Voss out at the end of the year, but instead we have another two years of this crap ahead of us. I genuinely fear if Hansen goes to West Coast what our game plan is going to look like. I don't think he is particularly special but he's all we've got. The club was meant to get reinforcements after last years mid season train wreck but all they came with was Jordan Russell?
We've been bombing it long into the forward line years before Voss was on the scene. Hansen has been here longer and given plenty of input in our game plan. I actually kind of hope Ash does get the job and we start to see some different and actually intelligent play in moving the ball forward and setting up shots at goal. Middle of the road teams like Crows, Hawks, Bombers just move the ball and take I50 marks so much better than we do. Even North looked better! Imagine if they had even one of Harry/Charlie to kick to.

I've had enough of watching Charlie try to wrestle for a mark or free and Harry try to mark in a pack of 4+ players. No space in the forward line makes it hard for any team to score.

And don't even get me started on our kick-ins from full back! (My god...)

Every week we see in the media or I see it myself that we have a terrible points against tally, currently 13th in the league, what’s not as easy to see but gets brought up on the footy shows is that we are 18th for scores against from a D50 stoppage, we are 10 goals worse than the 17th ranked team.

Now if we are 13th overall for points against and 18th from points scored from a D50 stoppage, why is it so hard for the coaches to all get together and come up with a way to address this?

For all our complaints about our small forwards, our third tall forward options, our set ups at stoppages is our biggest concern and it has stuff all to do with who’s available.

Who’s area would D50 stoppage and midfield stoppage fall under? Get together and ask, what have we changed this year to cause a huge drop off?

This should be our focus the next few weeks.

C
Every week we see in the media or I see it myself that we have a terrible points against tally, currently 13th in the league, what’s not as easy to see but gets brought up on the footy shows is that we are 18th for scores against from a D50 stoppage, we are 10 goals worse than the 17th ranked team.

Now if we are 13th overall for points against and 18th from points scored from a D50 stoppage, why is it so hard for the coaches to all get together and come up with a way to address this?

For all our complaints about our small forwards, our third tall forward options, our set ups at stoppages is our biggest concern and it has stuff all to do with who’s available.

Who’s area would D50 stoppage and midfield stoppage fall under? Get together and ask, what have we changed this year to cause a huge drop off?

This should be our focus the next few weeks.
Go back and watch Saad as Elliott kicks the first goal of the last quarter. Can talk about coaching all we like but geez it's hard if the players are not switched on.

Possibly but to publicly praise their effort is an easy out. I don’t like it. Sounds like a bottom 8 side attitude
I wonder if this was strategic by Voss. He knows if we miss the finals the blow torch will be on him next season. His coaching career is on the line.

I wonder if this was strategic by Voss. He knows if we miss the finals the blow torch will be on him next season. His coaching career is on the line.
Can you elaborate on your thoughts on this.

If he misses finals this year, he will be under pressure next year. Praising the players wont alleviate that pressure or excuse the performance

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

C

Go back and watch Saad as Elliott kicks the first goal of the last quarter. Can talk about coaching all we like but geez it's hard if the players are not switched on.

Oh yeah i saw it and its bad, its pretty late now but if this is the reason we are so bad, then the coaching group have allowed these behaviours to go un punished all year, when they re view the game and i mean every game and these things come up, are the players slapped across the head with it?

Seperate to this, is Cripps calling out Charlie in front of the group for his half arsed chases or tackling attempts?

Even when we see vision like you pointed out, the fact we are where we are defensively is a long term trend, which has been allowed to happen by the coaching group.

If Saad has done that repeatedly, drop hi, make a statement.

If Charlie is seen in the reviews repeatedly not putting in enough effort, drop him.

If Walsh keeps calling for the ball in dumb spots (he does) drop him.

It might be a bit late but i wonder if these issues are just a result of standards not being enforced.

Oh yeah i saw it and its bad, its pretty late now but if this is the reason we are so bad, then the coaching group have allowed these behaviours to go un punished all year, when they re view the game and i mean every game and these things come up, are the players slapped across the head with it?

Seperate to this, is Cripps calling out Charlie in front of the group for his half arsed chases or tackling attempts?

Even when we see vision like you pointed out, the fact we are where we are defensively is a long term trend, which has been allowed to happen by the coaching group.

If Saad has done that repeatedly, drop hi, make a statement.

If Charlie is seen in the reviews repeatedly not putting in enough effort, drop him.

If Walsh keeps calling for the ball in dumb spots (he does) drop him.

It might be a bit late but i wonder if these issues are just a result of standards not being enforced.
Can you name a team that has dropped one of their top 5-10 players during a patch where the team isn't doing well?

If you look hard enough you would see the very best of the best making similar errors in times when their team is playing poorly. They won't get dropped - it is completely unrealistic.

Last edited:
Can you name a team that has dropped one of their top 5-10 players during a patch where the team isn't doing well?

If you look hard enough you would have seen the very best of the best making similar errors in times when their team is playing poorly. They won't get dropped - it is completely unrealistic.

If you go over what i posted, i specified if players repeatedly did something contrary to instructions or continued to not uphold standards, then drop them and hopefully you would only need to do it once or twice.

Bad habits are formed when bad behaviours aren’t rectified, if standards aren’t enforced then they slip.

People have posted here that Kemp is in and out of the side because he isn’t following coaching instructions, good, so i hope these standards are applied to others, if players continue to not set up in the right way, dont chase, dont tackle, call for the ball when they shouldn’t, they need to be called out, that doesnt mean drop them, but if it keeps happening, then you need to do something.

I think it’s the weirdest season ever. I can't pick a winner each week. Anyone who finishes top 8 could win it IMO.
All sides have real weaknesses and form is up and down
It’s why I still hold some hope for us

Some luck and momentum and anyone is a chance this year

Need to make it first.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you go over what i posted, i specified if players repeatedly did something contrary to instructions or continued to not uphold standards, then drop them and hopefully you would only need to do it once or twice.

Bad habits are formed when bad behaviours aren’t rectified, if standards aren’t enforced then they slip.

People have posted here that Kemp is in and out of the side because he isn’t following coaching instructions, good, so i hope these standards are applied to others, if players continue to not set up in the right way, dont chase, dont tackle, call for the ball when they shouldn’t, they need to be called out, that doesnt mean drop them, but if it keeps happening, then you need to do something.
I understand what you mean and in an ideal world every player in a team would be treated the exact same - but I just don't think that is the case in any sport let alone AFL. In my opinion it all comes down to risk for the coach - is it worth it to stick with that top 5 player and hope the form changes OR do you swap them out for a far inferior player on paper knowing that if it doesn't work you will be crucified by everyone.

It shouldn't be like this and maybe I just have a pessimistic world view but I think that is fairly realistic. Happy to be corrected if there has been a recent example of a top 5 or so player being dropped by a team in a poor patch of form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back