Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like Voss will have the season no matter what. I don't think it will be a mid-season sacking.

Yep - I can certainly see conversations around getting more support in and changing the game plan happening around the bye. How Voss responds to those propositions for the rest of the season (and obviously our form) will dictate what happens at seasons end.

Worst case would be Voss refuses help, sticks to his guns re: the plan and things don't improve. In that scenario, and probably only that scenario, I'd say he's gone at the end of the year. If he shows any capacity to learn, grow, be flexible and broaden his coaching horizons, he probably stays.

Anyone else heard rumour that voss has been given till the bye to improve things otherwise he's gone. Hamil sounded out to replace

Heard whispers about a month ago, that pressure was ramping up on Voss

No mention that he would be gone at the bye, or a replacement being instilled

Listening to Longmuir, they didn’t change much, just doing it to plan.
Stats backed it up.

Clark did say yesterday that the leaders had a word with the coach.

Also just listened to Longmuir when he was asked what had changed to get Freo on the winners list and he said "mind set".

They decided to play to win instead of playing not to lose and to embrace the chaos of the game and keep it as simple as make your next moment count.

Could it be as simple for Carlton I wonder (think it actually could tbh)

Also just listened to Longmuir when he was asked what had changed to get Freo on the winners list and he said "mind set".

They decided to play to win instead of playing not to lose and to embrace the chaos of the game and keep it as simple as make your next moment count.

Could it be as simple for Carlton I wonder (think it actually could tbh)
Of course it is the players are in fear mode and have been since the last two rounds of last season …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How often are our forwards hit up on the lead? How often do we target anyone in the forward 50 not named Harry or Charlie?
How often do we get easy out the back goals for our smalls?
How many goals do our mid and small forwards kick?

Of course it matters how we move the ball. The slow boundary movement is predictable for the opposition and allows them time to set up and double/triple team out key forwards. Long bombs after slow ball movement takes out the option of hitting up mid/small forwards and almost totally relies on the marking brilliance of Charlie and Harry.

Of course the poor finishing is an issue but the game plan means we have to work so much harder than other teams for our scores. There are few easy goals and it is impacting on the confidence of not just the forwards but the whole team. Our forwards can't execute but either can the mids or forwards.

Professional footballers (especially Coleman medallist) should be able to convert from 30 out and our highly credentialled mids should be able to handballer to a team mate 5 metres away and our backs should be hitting 20 metre passes.

If it was just Harry in a slump, I'd accept it is the player but when almost every player is out of form and low on confidence, it has to come back on the coach. This is the same players that were lauded by all in the first half of last season when Voss' game plan was working, apparently they are all now rubbish and we need to gut the list??

Better kicking may have resulted in a win on Friday but it would have been in spite of the game plan. Have a think about our wins this year, with the exception of WC, they have been horrible, slow grinding performances and often relied on individual brilliance. No fluency, no connection, no run and carry and highly predictable to the opposition.

On 2201116PG using BigFooty.com mobile app
yr hit it on the head…why the change/drop off whatever ya wanna call it from 22…and with a supposedly improved playing list…
Hodge showed footage of a passage of playing from last weeks game, pointed out how we didn’t hold a zone correctly…was only one passage… however.

I mean.. with Tassie coming in in '28 its not the silliest idea I've ever heard, you don't want to be building a list during that period.

Surely no one still thinks the current core group is capable of anything near top 4 let alone a flag. Not sure what else you can do other than blow it up and go again, probably keep anyone with potential about 24 or under plus Charlie, literally anyone else with value you shop for 1st and 2nd round picks.
I think our current list is good enough to finish the home and away season 4th - 6thish, with the right combination of coaches. From there, if things were to fall into place, we could challenge for a flag.
Would be more risky to give up on the players and begin another rebuild, than discover it was the coaching dept. that needed rebuilding after all.

Last edited:
Anyone else heard rumour that voss has been given till the bye to improve things otherwise he's gone. Hamil sounded out to replace

Didn’t hear the whole thing but on 3AW thought I heard Matthew Lloyd mention that after the Swans game Weitering went Sayers and said ‘this is on us - the players - not Voss’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Didn’t hear the whole thing but ok 3AW thought I heard Matthew Lloyd mention that after the Swans game Weitering went Sayers and said ‘this is on us - the players - not Voss’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That numb nuts would lie thru his teeth avoid scrutiny on his brother.
Always hated the grass tossing, diving, sniping POS.
Could be true -but I’m not passing up an opportunity to bag him

This is pretty much the point I was trying to get across.

It is very much two fold. The entire club needs to fixed from top to bottom. I hold out hope that Cook has the miles left in his legs to do this.
The great Carlton irony of Cook is he came in after Sayers big review process, and started in his role 6 days before Voss was signed. I'm confident if the review was done 12 months after Cook arrived there would of been a lot more changes.

I wouldn't want Voss to just be kicked to the curb if very little else changes, then we are doomed to repeat the same old processes.
The ridiculous soft cap changes made by the AFL during the covid period have resulted in clubs no longer being able to go out and surround a head coach with all the best assistants. Teams need to work within the means of the cap.
If Voss can display over the course of the rest of the year that he has the capabilities to change and evolve, try trial new things, to admit some things have not been working. Then by all means he could be the man that remains as a stable figure to build around. But if, what a large amount of people have alluded to for more than a decade now, and he is not a strong football mind, not a strong people manager and not a strong delegator, then we simple cannot afford enough experienced quality assistant coaches to fill all the voids that he is not bringing to the table as the highest paid member for the soft cap. Stability for the sake of stability doesn't equal success.
In an ideal world, allowing Voss to see out the remaining 18 months of his contract would be very beneficial. Make moves to sure up the back of house this year whilst keeping stability for the playing group, then readdress at the end of 2024. With small improvements over the next 6 months this could work, but on our current trajectory and the rapidly deteriorating performances of our playing group, something has to change.
A large amount of the qualities that you have highlighted in Voss we saw as a captain and a player. I'm not sure we've seen them all that often as a head coach, with us or with the Lions.
I'll leave you with one last example. We have a player in our team who is incredibly hungry, exudes integrity and is one of the best leaders at our club... His name is Ed Curnow, and as much as I love him, I wouldn't want to keep him in the team week in week out to be a stabilising influence on our playing group.
Thanks again for sharing your opinion and a bit of the inner workings of the club. I'm curious if you're in a position to articulate what you'd do to affect the type of change you are wanting? Perhaps 5-10 dot points of what you'd do first to turn things around as a club?

Sometimes its easier to understand the problem state by contrasting it with the actions you'd take to fix it and i think it might help us all better understand what you see... of course if you're happy to that is! :)

Apparently Ch 7 reported tonight another performance review will be conducted later this season? Will this affect Vossy?
IMO Vossy is safe…

I’d be going all out to find him better help… Pyke and Selwood would be both at the top of my list…

Thanks again for sharing your opinion and a bit of the inner workings of the club. I'm curious if you're in a position to articulate what you'd do to affect the type of change you are wanting? Perhaps 5-10 dot points of what you'd do first to turn things around as a club?

Sometimes its easier to understand the problem state by contrasting it with the actions you'd take to fix it and i think it might help us all better understand what you see... of course if you're happy to that is! :)
Happy to give you my thoughts when I have more time.

But a good first step would be to listen to what Cook’s old mate Jimmy said.

IMO Vossy is safe…

I’d be going all out to find him better help… Pyke and Selwood would be both at the top of my list…
l very much doubt he is safe if we don't see a significant change the 2nd half of the season.
lt is making absolutely no sense why so many of our quality players are not performing to their expectations.

Vossy is going to have to be open to change quickly eg his strong minded stubborn approach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back