Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Kemp to the forward line. Finally, very much liked this and calling for it for a while in discussions with colleagues.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Funny, I took the opposite. We could have had this youthful enthusiasm in our team for the past 6 weeks when all the favourites have looked abysmal. I saw it more as injuries forced him to blood some kids and they proved they have been held back too long.
Whilst I hope he can be a player in time IMO today Binns showed he’s not ready to play league footy this year. He got pushed off the ball like he was a kid by Cole, who’s hardly strong. He might get there in time but Voss has been correct picking Hollands, Cottrell etc ahead of him all year.

Voss rightly selected an underdone Durdin ahead of Moir today and only released Moir once the game was over, albeit due to injury to Durdin. Lord looks like he could be an ok league footballer but there is no way Voss should be picking Lord ahead of Cerra if he was available.
There was no additional defenders on our list today. Voss could have tried Kemp forward any time this year apart from games weitering or young were not fit. Instead he's spent 2 years fighting for his spot as a key defender when he's an an attacking 3rd tall/ mid.
Young showed again today he is almost unplayable. He doesn’t man up, spoils when he can mark and looks uncertain with the ball in his hands. He is the definition of “break glass” option and I reckon Voss thinks that too. I reckon the only time Voss could’ve tried Kemp forward was when Marchbank or Durdin played - those 2 played a grand total of 4 games between them - so Voss would’ve been constantly caught wanting to try something different and trying to get stability in his back 6 so he went with Kemp because unlike the other two he was available.
Amazing how the same game can prove two polar opposite opinions correct (in their own minds), based on their pre-conceived ideas.
So long as it’s done in a respectful manner there is nothing wrong with people different viewpoints on how they see the same thing, in fact it’s what make life interesting.

We have come a fair way since matthew Wright was our leading goal kicker with 22 goals.

He admitted himself that he found out a bit about us as a team and a club...

I really like Voss. I think he is a good coach and has done a lot of good so far

Is he perfect? No, no one is. I just feel as though his weakness can be he has a plan and opinion and sticks with it regardless. Can be good, can be bad.

I listen to Buckley a bit, who is a similar personality. He says a lot he was too stringent and if he coached again he would be more open to ideas and change

I feel Voss is a bit the same and yesterday may have just swayed him to look at some things with a bit more open mindedness

Last edited:
I really like Voss. I think he is a good coach and has done a lot of good so far

Is he perfect? No, no one is. I just feel as though his weakness can be he has a plan and opinion and sticks with it regardless. Can be good, can be bad.

I listen to Buckley a bit, who is a similar personality. He says a lot he was too stringent and if he coached again he would be more open to ideas and change

I feel Voss it a bit the same and yesterday may have just swayed him to look at some things with abit more open mindedness
Here's hoping. Plenty of ways to skin a cat. Gotta be part planning, part flexibility to circumstance.

I feel Voss it a bit the same and yesterday may have just swayed him to look at some things with abit more open mindedness
its easy being a media person now than the hot seat. phones will be breaking again soon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Brownlow medal is like a poisoned chalice for successful AFL coaches.
Will Sam Mitchell or Voss be the first Brownlow coach in over 50 years to lead a team to a premiership?

Last edited:
I hope today was a wake up call for Voss and our coaching group

We played a more mobile side and it showed. We also played a mobile fwd line with options. Instead of blinding going to Charlie we looked, lowered our eyes and if not marked our smalls weren’t brought into the game. Modern football

Names like Kemp, Cincotta played more suitable roles and young players like Lord & Binns stood up when previously they wouldn’t have been considered

We have the talent we just need to maximise it
Yeah, was like no Charlie or Harry actually forced them to lower the eyes and hit up a few shorter ones going inside 50. I know it was only West Coast but hopefully that sticks in their minds once the big boys are back in the team, this year or next.

Yeah, was like no Charlie or Harry actually forced them to lower the eyes and hit up a few shorter ones going inside 50. I know it was only West Coast but hopefully that sticks in their minds once the big boys are back in the team, this year or next.
Surely it’s been gameplan for the continued kick it to Charlie and Harry because we showed without them what we can do, even when one of them has been injured the last couple of years. If it’s game plan driven then that’s on the coaches.

Funny, I took the opposite. We could have had this youthful enthusiasm in our team for the past 6 weeks when all the favourites have looked abysmal. I saw it more as injuries forced him to blood some kids and they proved they have been held back too long.
Yeah not sure about that, imo we were lucky to be playing West Coast when forced to bring the new guys in. When Ollie Hollands and Jack Carroll are breaking tackles that tells you a bit about the team the opposition have in, won't be happening vs Saints next week.

Binns Lord and even Moir all tried hard and did their jobs to a degree but they aren't ready for 1s just yet.

Last edited:
I have always felt Voss & our coaches biggest issue is they are so fixed on the path forward and aren’t flexible in selection and game style

IMO last 2 weeks have shown this. Good coaches learn and adapt. Voss does a lot right but I reckon this is weakness

I just hope our coaching staff have learnt or been awakened to what’s happened over last fortnight

Last edited:
As a coaching group we’ve only made moves and changed things out of desperation and with no other choice.

That’s an indictment on them all including Voss.

He might be the right person but I suspect we need to add some serious footy IQ to our coaching panel. The current set up is not up to elite standard.

True but it's easier to be honest after the event. Time, experience, reflection and not dealing with the daily pressure of the job really helps with clarity
Voss is a second time head coach
10yr assistant

Buckley went straight in, ableit 1 yr as an assistant at collingwood.

Its not comparable, as Voss has had 10yrs to dwell on his weaknesses in the system, to then change it up a second time around

Voss is a second time head coach
10yr assistant

Buckley went straight in, ableit 1 yr as an assistant at collingwood.

Its not comparable, as Voss has had 10yrs to dwell on his weaknesses in the system, to then change it up a second time around

Slow learner it would seem.

Bottom line, we won 13 games and that was enough to get us into the finals, despite our injuries and multiple form lapses.

That changes things a fair bit as far as how we evaluate a lot of personnel.

I have always felt Voss & our coaches biggest issue is they are so fixed on the path forward and aren’t flexible in selection and game style

IMO last 2 weeks have shown this. Good coaches learn and adapt. Voss does a lot right but I reckon this is weakness

I just hope our coaching staff have learnt or been awakened to what’s happened over last fortnight
IMO vossy is a little stuck in his playing days..see footy get footy..
It worked then but a diff game now..he is stubborn, but so was dimma, he changed, hopefully Voss will also

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back