MICHIE PICK 54

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible move in my opinion as Viv will be a very good player. Understand it from he's perspective though having only got one game this year and possibly wanting to return home. Hope he has a great career at Melbourne and will be my favourite no Freo player.

I'm disappointed. Most notably because I wanted him to stay with us. Pick 54 in a weak draft is not very good and because of our list we might not even use the pick. But it's about right.

Too many Victorians wanting to leave us. It's a bit of a concern. But we have most of them on contract extensions (Crozier, Sheridan, Clarke).

Bargain for the Dees. Hopefully he keeps healthy and establishes his career with plenty of game time. He has huge upside. Like when Roberton left, disappointed but happy for the player and hopefully it works out to be a great win win for player and new club - goodwill does have currency in the future (also we just got Sylvia as FA from them).

This does add value to Freo. It does make Freo seem slightly better from an eastern states young player point of view when initially drafting or trading. We are starting to establish some credibility in the "doing the right thing" image assisting players that want to move back east. Which means more may be happier making the move to us in the first place - and that translates in attitude to training and development, happier with the club etc and thus less likely to have the homesick factor etc etc

Goodwill with young players has a compounding benefit - the trick in recruitment is getting those with the right attitudes that fully appreciate it and pay the loyalty back - though there will always be very legitimate reasons (even if just in their minds) for some to "need" a move home.

Bargain for the Dees. Hopefully he keeps healthy and establishes his career with plenty of game time. He has huge upside. Like when Roberton left, disappointed but happy for the player and hopefully it works out to be a great win win for player and new club - goodwill does have currency in the future (also we just got Sylvia as FA from them).

This does add value to Freo. It does make Freo seem slightly better from an eastern states young player point of view when initially drafting or trading. We are starting to establish some credibility in the "doing the right thing" image assisting players that want to move back east. Which means more may be happier making the move to us in the first place - and that translates in attitude to training and development, happier with the club etc and thus less likely to have the homesick factor etc etc

Goodwill with young players has a compounding benefit - the trick in recruitment is getting those with the right attitudes that fully appreciate it and pay the loyalty back - though there will always be very legitimate reasons (even if just in their minds) for some to "need" a move home.
This post puts my mind at ease somewhat.

Well said, Freo2012

I'm disappointed. Most notably because I wanted him to stay with us. Pick 54 in a weak draft is not very good and because of our list we might not even use the pick. But it's about right.

Too many Victorians wanting to leave us. It's a bit of a concern. But we have most of them on contract extensions (Crozier, Sheridan, Clarke).

I really don't think that has anything to do with it, he just wanted playing opportunities which he wouldn't have gotten with us.

We're only losing the ones who can't get games, the others have had no issues signing back on.

But they have been very young. It's not easy for young players to break into teams. IMO Roberton would've played quite a few games for us this year based on his form with St Kilda. He plays a very similar role to MJ. Getting games is also a very selective form of argument. Matt De Boer plays regular games but his skills and footy instincts are poor. And his trade value wouldn't be that high.

Sheridan and Zac Clarke were two who were weighing up moves back to Victoria.

First of all when players are drafted they don't get a say, forget the goodwill factor. What it says is that if you want to move because you can't bide your time you can with ease. Players expectations' are now, I can go where I want when I want, this is not a good thing unless you want Freo to waste resources and picks developing players for other clubs.

Did they, or were they just bigfooty rumours that have come to be accepted as gospel?

In Clarke's case in particular, I remember how people completely overreacted to a comment he made on twitter that was clearly a joke.

Did they, or were they just bigfooty rumours that have come to be accepted as gospel?

In Clarke's case in particular, I remember how people completely overreacted to a comment he made on twitter that was clearly a joke.

Clarke said in the media that he was considering moving back to Victoria.

That's more than I hoped to get for a player who has had a serious injury every year so far, regardless of their form when fit.

I hope he has a long fit career and doesn't find himself stuck behind Jack Watts for a midfield spot.

Fringe players are just as soon delisted by the clubs like yesterday's newspapers if the balance tips just a touch away so I don't begrudge him for wanting to move on, you don't have a long career in AFL if you average ten minutes gametime a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But they have been very young. It's not easy for young players to break into teams. IMO Roberton would've played quite a few games for us this year based on his form with St Kilda. He plays a very similar role to MJ. Getting games is also a very selective form of argument. Matt De Boer plays regular games but his skills and footy instincts are poor. And his trade value wouldn't be that high.

Name another player in the last 5 years that "just wanted to go home"?

Clarke and Sheridan are Freo players. They don't count. Mellington is under contract so clearly he wanted to stay.

Leaving because you can't get a game is totally different to wanting to go home and we are miles in front of West Coast as far as that's concerned.

First of all when players are drafted they don't get a say, forget the goodwill factor. What it says is that if you want to move because you can't bide your time you can with ease. Players expectations' are now, I can go where I want when I want, this is not a good thing unless you want Freo to waste resources and picks developing players for other clubs.

It's a two way street. Players will leave, players will arrive. I see your Dylan Roberton and Viv Michie and raise you Zac Dawson, Danyle Pearce and Colin Sylvia.

Also, ensuring Fremantle is an attractive place for players to come is far more important than any perceived softness.

I disagree - every situation and player is different. Freo will be trying with all its ability to hang onto players that it has a future for. But there are some circumstances where they will know they are going to lose a player - in those circumstances it is best for the club to get the most they can out of the situation, which may involve draft picks or in some cases taking "goodwill" balancing that against being seen as weak. It is a balancing act, which no doubt Freo continuously reviews as any good organisation would, and involves everything from original recruiting criteria and methodology, player attitude/personality, player management and development, the timeframe of the club (contention or not even has a part to play with regards to opportunity for playing time) etc etc.

The Club (like all clubs) operates in the grey in between being a lenient do anything a players asks and the opposite hard nosed take it or F-Off approach. Obviously good player management to get the most out of the playing list and attract the best talent is the long term aim of the club.

As supporters we always want to be in the "must be seen to get the the win out of any trade or player movement now" situation. We don't know the full story about an individual situation and never will, unless you are part of the club's inner circle or the player. So don't review one trade or player movement and make your mind up about the club as a result, take all that happens over an extended timeframe and decide.

Clarke said in the media that he was considering moving back to Victoria.

The only direct quote I can find from Clarke is that re-signing 'really wasn't a tough decision'.

In that same article a journalist puts words in his mouth by insinuating Clarke was considering leaving because he discussed the issue with his family first, despite a direct quote from Clarke saying his family were just happy to back his decision and were rapt for him.

I just wonder how often people confuse a journalist's spin with direct quotes from the players themselves. Happy to concede if you can show me actual quotes from Clarke.

Name another player in the last 5 years that "just wanted to go home"?

Clarke and Sheridan are Freo players. They don't count. Mellington is under contract so clearly he wanted to stay.

The fact is that drafting players from Victoria, investing in them, developing them and then letting them go back home for nothing or less than what you drafted them for is not good. Especially when they leave and play very well like Roberton (and imo Michie is a good chance to do the same).

Lots of WA players at Victorian clubs are not getting games and yet they're not requesting trades home.

Leaving because you can't get a game is totally different to wanting to go home and we are miles in front of West Coast as far as that's concerned.

Distinction without a difference. Not everyone is ready to play games no matter how much they want to. At the end of the day players choose to take the easy option instead of working hard on the areas in which they need to improve. I'm all for drafting interstate players if they're the best available talent. As long as we work hard to retain them and get suitable compensation if they want to return to their home state.

Side Note - Often the speculative third/fourth round picks are the ones who become fringe players who want more game time. Eg Roberton, Michie, Mellington. Something could be said for looking towards local players with the late draft picks, as long as they're similar talent level.

Freo2012 makes a great point - doing the right thing by a player in this instance will be seen as Freo being a club that looks after its players. There is a time to play hard ball and time to be generous, and when it comes to fringe players like Michie, the latter is the more sensible option.

The only direct quote I can find from Clarke is that re-signing 'really wasn't a tough decision'.

In that same article a journalist puts words in his mouth by insinuating Clarke was considering leaving because he discussed the issue with his family first, despite a direct quote from Clarke saying his family were just happy to back his decision and were rapt for him.

I just wonder how often people confuse a journalist's spin with direct quotes from the players themselves. Happy to concede if you can show me actual quotes from Clarke.

In his media conference he said "it was a tough decision" "I've got family back in Melbourne so I had to discuss it with them first". Is that enough? He flew to Vic in the bye round to discuss it with his family. So it's not like he didn't consider going home.

The fact is that drafting players from Victoria, investing in them, developing them and then letting them go back home for nothing or less than what you drafted them for is not good. Especially when they leave and play very well like Roberton (and imo Michie is a good chance to do the same).

Lots of WA players at Victorian clubs are not getting games and yet they're not requesting trades home.

Distinction without a difference. Not everyone is ready to play games no matter how much they want to. At the end of the day players choose to take the easy option instead of working hard on the areas in which they need to improve. I'm all for drafting interstate players if they're the best available talent. As long as we work hard to retain them and get suitable compensation if they want to return to their home state.

Side Note - Often the speculative third/fourth round picks are the ones who become fringe players who want more game time. Eg Roberton, Michie, Mellington. Something could be said for looking towards local players with the late draft picks, as long as they're similar talent level.

He is the first player since Warnock to leave early in his career without a legitimate reason (Palmer - GWS money, Roberton - girlfriend pregnant etc.). It is a total non-issue that we are taking Victorians / South Australians etc. And as far as your point about taking the later pics as WA kids Michie was a second round pick and Lachie and Sutcliffe were late picks from the eastern states.

You are making a mountain out of a molehill imo and you only have 1 player as evidence from the last 5 years to prove your point.

In his media conference he said "it was a tough decision" "I've got family back in Melbourne so I had to discuss it with them first". Is that enough? He flew to Vic in the bye round to discuss it with his family. So it's not like he didn't consider going home.

He considered it and still stayed here. So what is your point? Players from other states miss home occasionally but it doesn't affect their staying here?

Some players second guess whether they should even be playing AFL at all, should we just not draft those players then? Even if they are talented?

Can't understand why everyone is so mellow about this, is the Reggae Festival on today?

Pick 54 is a joke, we've let some incredible talent slip through our hands.

I agree... We should of asked for more.

We should of made him play more games this season to boost up his Value. We did that to Warnock in 2008 and We traded Warnock and pick 65 for 24, 56 and 69. Only pick 24 was good as we got suban

I could see this coming mid year.
Viv deserved more opportunities than he was given and do not blame him for leaving.
He clearly deserved a game before Sheridan and maybe had he played 2 or 3 and been shown that he was in with a chance he might still be on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

MICHIE PICK 54

Remove this Banner Ad

Back