Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 27, 2004
central vic
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
west ham
He has now been at Collingwood for 9 years and has taken them to 5 finals series. They have made the finals in their past 3 seasons but have only finished top 4 three times in his time there (Two obviously being 2002/2003). I haven't seen his win/loss record in a while but I know it is slightly above 50%.

Does Collingwood need him to move on? Yeh, they have a good group of kids. But this year was meant to be another step forward after last year's good showing, yet they lost several games against teams lower on the ladder which effectively cost them top 5.

Thoughts?

It's an interesting one.

On one hand, we were an extremely young side this year, so I think it was quite a good achievement to get as far as we did.

On the other hand, we need new ideas from a senior coach and I felt Mick's stubborness cost us games this year.

I am going to say that he should be with us for another 2 years - if we haven't improved dramatically by then, Nathan Buckley can take over :)

id say that he would have to be given one more year, and see what he can do with this current squad, I would say that this is the third list that he has turned over since he took over as Coach in 1999.

It is hard to see whether or not this current crop has what it takes to be a consistent top 4 side in years to come. There is a lot of hype, and a lot of support but is Cloke, Wood, Thomas, Pendlebury etc ready to take the next step?

I think we will have a clearer picture after next season.

Is MM contracted to the end of next season, or beyond?

Hard to know what to do with MM. IMO, still one of the best coaches in the game, and with Collingwoods kids coming through, I would have thought it would have been in their best interests to keep him at The Lexus Centre for the short term.

Just a thought on Buckley though - would Collingwood people prefer him to get some experience coaching at any level before taking over from MM?

Just a thought on Buckley though - would Collingwood people prefer him to get some experience coaching at any level before taking over from MM?

Absolutely. If anyone can step straight into a senior coaching role it'd be Buckley but I don't see it happening. I'm a big fan of the Worsfold path which is he spent some time in the media after he retired, went to Carlton for a few years and then came back to be a successful coach at West Coast.

I was excited to read yesterday that Burns has been approached by 5 clubs to be an assistant even though he hasn't officially retired. Geelong put in the biggest play for him and I would love to see Burns spend some time with Bomber Thompson before coming back to the Lexus centre.

Hard to know what to do with MM. IMO, still one of the best coaches in the game, and with Collingwoods kids coming through, I would have thought it would have been in their best interests to keep him at The Lexus Centre for the short term.

IMO if MM stayed for another.. 3 years, I'd like to see Buckley get some coaching experience before he becomes head coach. With GM moving north there could be a spot for him in our coaching panel.. :)

Also Neale Daniher had a very similar record heading in 2007.

I'm not in any shape or form saying Collingwood will slide like we did in 2007, but I think he's come to the end of his tether and really unless Collingwood somehow win the flag next year he should move on.

he's done well with the list he had to work with. No other coach could take the pies current list to a flag, just too many holes and not enough class. If they recruit well this trade and draft period then give MM a few more years to see what he can do.

How long has be been coaching since his last flag?

Not many coaches last as long as he has without winning a flag.

Surely he will be gone after next season if he doesn't perform?

he's done well with the list he had to work with. No other coach could take the pies current list to a flag, just too many holes and not enough class. If they recruit well this trade and draft period then give MM a few more years to see what he can do.
He's put this list together. If it has holes in it, it's down to him.

Is still a quality coach - a top effort to get the Pies to the semis, espicially after the Didak/Shaw incident nearly derailed their season.

Might need to embrace some more modern concepts, and show a bit more of a willingness to be flexible on match day.

This is where a shrewd match day tactician like Wallace is so important to a club - some of TW's moves have been truly revolutionary, delivering wins many thought were not possible.

Well done to TW for amending his style to suit the times, whilist stamping his individual style on the Tigers from the coaches box :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's put this list together. If it has holes in it, it's down to him.

I must admit i dont know exactly how the inner workings of a football club works but dont recruiters and and such people have some kind of a role ?

or is it soley up to the coach to put the list together ?

given how many staff a football department have im sure that many people are responsible for any given clubs list.

i mean if MM says to the recruiters a couple years ago we need midfielders and they say ok we've got a kid called ben davies and others like him. he will be a gun so dont worry about midfielders and it turns out he's no good so now you do need midfielders is that MM's fault? just an example but you get the idea.

I must admit i dont know exactly how the inner workings of a football club works but dont recruiters and and such people have some kind of a role ?

or is it soley up to the coach to put the list together ?

given how many staff a football department have im sure that many people are responsible for any given clubs list.

i mean if MM says to the recruiters a couple years ago we need midfielders and they say ok we've got a kid called ben davies and others like him. he will be a gun so dont worry about midfielders and it turns out he's no good so now you do need midfielders is that MM's fault? just an example but you get the idea.
Point blank refusing to rectify the ruck situation at Collingwood (see the 2002 grand final and the 2007 prelim final for the result).
Trading for crap such as Andrew Williams, Chad Morrison and Steven McKee.

He isn't entirely to blame, but he has to take some criticism.

Point blank refusing to rectify the ruck situation at Collingwood (see the 2002 grand final and the 2007 prelim final for the result).
Trading for crap such as Andrew Williams, Chad Morrison and Steven McKee.

He isn't entirely to blame, but he has to take some criticism.
He has a game plan that promotes stoicism, not excellence, he has no flair and would rather a team of honest plodders than a team that was exciting. He will only ever take the team to knocking on the door, I want someone who wants to kick the door down.

C'mon, 9 years and no flags, lets face it, no other team in the comp would accept that, even Matthews after 3 flags knew his time was up ( one way or the other), and he was there about 10. Why does Malthouse get afforded much more leeway to produce nothing? We all know he can coach, but he cant raise the bar to that last level. He has a young side that he will stifle their flair for the game if allowed to continue with them.

I know this is purely hypothetical but i'll go on anyway. Think back to the 02 grand final, any team could have won it. What if a goal umpiring decision goes our way, Aker doesn't kick a freak goal to win the game etc. My point is that, in the end, factors more or less out of Mick's control ended up with another grand final loss for Collingwood. The last 5-10 minutes of the game the burden was well and truly down to the players to deliver, Mick could do no more for the team. IF we had managed to snare a premiership back then would this talk be going on?

I blame our shitty recruiters for our 04-05 seasons (along with some shocking trades influenced by MM), however we have picked up some great talent from 05 onwards. Give him a chance to win a premiership with this list he has put together with Hine, approx another 3-4 seasons.

Collingwood:

Lots of money to take care of players as well as possible: TICK

Top-notch facilities: TICK

Good/decent list of players: TICK

Preferable fixture every season: TICK

Ultimate success since since coach took over: NADA

Obviously something is not quite right down there at the Lexus Centre. Is it the coach? You decide.

I like Malthouse. But a few years after he finishes coaching, no-one will care about injuries or rebuilds or onfield tactics - it will be 2 premierships in 20 years and he'll be judged accordingly I'm afraid. Good solid coach but a failure with the Pies.

I know this is purely hypothetical but i'll go on anyway. Think back to the 02 grand final, any team could have won it. What if a goal umpiring decision goes our way, Aker doesn't kick a freak goal to win the game etc. My point is that, in the end, factors more or less out of Mick's control ended up with another grand final loss for Collingwood. The last 5-10 minutes of the game the burden was well and truly down to the players to deliver, Mick could do no more for the team. IF we had managed to snare a premiership back then would this talk be going on?

I blame our shitty recruiters for our 04-05 seasons (along with some shocking trades influenced by MM), however we have picked up some great talent from 05 onwards. Give him a chance to win a premiership with this list he has put together with Hine, approx another 3-4 seasons.

No way, 3 or 4 more seasons of more indirect plodding, you got to be kidding. He has had carte blanche at the club since he arrived. he got us to a GF twice, so he lifted the list up to that level. Since then he has failed to grow a side to any great heights other than inconsistant if at times good football.

Show me any other side that would keep a coach on for 9 years without a skerrick of success. 9 years!!!! Give me a break.

Eddie, wake up and do away with the sweetheart deal you have with him.

Its time to move on, like Hawthorn and Carlton have done. We need a new generation coach with new ideas for an ever evolving game. FFS, we were playing wide 8 years ago, why the hell are we still playing wide 8 years on if he hasn't put together a list that can play up the guts? The game plan and the list are his responsibility.

I like Malthouse. But a few years after he finishes coaching, no-one will care about injuries or rebuilds or onfield tactics - it will be 2 premierships in 20 years and he'll be judged accordingly I'm afraid. Good solid coach but a failure with the Pies.

Still not a bad record with 16 teams in the comp.

When MM came out and bagged Ken Judge when he coached the Eagles (he and they were a soft target back then) KJ had a decent reply of "You only won two flags with the list you had."

Not sure if anyone agrees or not but it is worthwhile considering when looking at MM's entire career.

Obviously something is not quite right down there at the Lexus Centre.

I started a discussion on a Pies forum with those same words after 2003's disaster and was slammed by the usual "famous" suspects as they earned their wages defending the coach and president while discrediting me. Seems it's OK for anyone else to have an opinion unless their name is Tess.... then it's attack.

Glass half full/Glass half empty argument ensured and well it's 2008 and coming into the 3rd week of the finals and my boys are having a quiet Mad Monday away from prying eyes. So nothing has changed, sure we have young fellas that may or may not become guns .... but we had them in 2003 as well, Didak, Shaw, Fraser and so on.

MM wont resign he will have to be sacked and Eddie hasn't got the (*^'s to do it.

i think he should go on another year or 2, the facts are he has taken the pies with a avg list to 2 GF's in a row and been in the finals more years then not. He got us to within a kick of the GF last year and we were expected to do big things this year. Unfortunatley when you lose a wealth of experience in Bucks, Clement and Licuria and then get injuries to key players in Rocca, Rusling, Presti and Fraser for long periods and then forced to play kids you are going to get a up and down season. I dont think you can judge him harshly based on this year, i think next year is important but. If Collingwood are active in the trade period im sure we can be a top 4 side next season.

The only issue i have with Mick is he can be a tad angry too often when he should be trying to have a good relationship with the media but he has always been this way. Sick of reading people posting in the blogs about Mick whingeing and so on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick Malthouse and his coaching record

Remove this Banner Ad

Back