Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mick was one of those commercial media personalities in 2012.

I just don't see why he needs to be so rude all the time. We roll our eyes at the looks of bewilderment and the constant whinging that comes from the Scott brothers, we judge Clarkson for his outbursts and wall punching, we scoff at Bomber's nonsensical ramblings...and yet we're not allowed to think that the way Mick speaks to people is not okay? Because his vitriol is directed at journalists?

I think many of us are disappointed with his outburst against Ling (from what we know of it) but, other than that particular issue I think his behaviour towards the media is pretty much the same as it was when he coached Collingwood. We knew that to be the case before he was appointed so what's new?

I, actually like the way he is prepared to comment on the state of the game and refrain from toeing the party line, I find it refreshing.

Yes, it seems he went overboard with the Ling thing but the reactive calls for his head by people like Robbo and McLure are an outrageous overreaction.

All that should happen with this is that he is told by the board (if that hasn't already happened) to pull his head in.

In my opinion he is the man we need to rebuild this list and I will be disgusted if the board bow to media pressure and pull the trigger before his contract is up. A little bit of public support for him by the board wouldn't go astray either, I don't give a rats what they say to him behind closed doors.

I loved Mick arriving Collingwood and the presence and aura he brought along with him, I'll always love for what he did and win us a flag as well. However I agreed with the succession plan at the time because he'd been there for a long time and never quite delivered what he was brought in to do and the visible timeline seemed to spry him into a couple of choices we'd never really done before.
After that flag I felt the club erred however in carrying on with that plan until mid to late 2011 and his petulance was distractive for the entire club, sometimes you've got to swallow your pride and accept the decisions you've made yourself, and impeded the efforts for the flag that year (other factors involved as well of course)
The Milne incident was also a souring point as well, Milne appears to be a filthy little tiprat but Micks lies and denials weren't a highlight that's for sure.

His last half dozen games he seemed to be showing the strain of things more than I'd ever seen from him and looked very much like what he shows with Carlton now in fact. He's always been prickly with the media as well of course but that seems more pronounced as well now.
As mentioned he's a bit of an easy target ATM because of your situation and if you were winning it would be less of an issue but I do thing there are use by dates on everyone and I'm not sure Mick will be the answer for your next 5 years.

That's fair. I did lose a bit of respect for him when he denied what he said to Milne. I think he is the right coach for us at the moment to help us rebuild, but I couldn't tell you how sustainable it is long term.

That's fair. I did lose a bit of respect for him when he denied what he said to Milne. I think he is the right coach for us at the moment to help us rebuild, but I couldn't tell you how sustainable it is long term.

Yeah things can turn pretty quickly but you'd think it might take a few years to truly turn things around. If Micks not the long term answer then he's probably at least the right short term answer however to get things back on track.
Your board situation would be a main concern, they've haven't seemed to always have made the right choices lately and it's possible media pressure might force their hand again. They need to be strong for all the right reasons to get it right this time around.

Yeah things can turn pretty quickly but you'd think it might take a few years to truly turn things around. If Micks not the long term answer then he's probably at least the right short term answer however to get things back on track.
Your board situation would be a main concern, they've haven't seemed to always have made the right choices lately and it's possible media pressure might force their hand again. They need to be strong for all the right reasons to get it right this time around.

Jeeezus a voice of reason and it comes from a Collingwood suporter. :eek:

I loved Mick arriving Collingwood and the presence and aura he brought along with him, I'll always love for what he did and win us a flag as well. However I agreed with the succession plan at the time because he'd been there for a long time and never quite delivered what he was brought in to do and the visible timeline seemed to spry him into a couple of choices we'd never really done before.

Oh please. Give me a break.

MM delivered your club a flag which is no easy achievement. He also took you to consecutive grand final appearances - granted, both resulted in losses - with a bog ordinary squad.

When he departed your club many were in awe with what he had achieved and many considered Collingwood in a perfect position to develop into a dynasty. Were you not an exceptionally young squad when you won the flag in 2010?

MM built your squad up magnificently to a level that few have done in the past. Unfortunately for you, Eddie let his love of Buckley get in the way - now Mick has moved on (yes, I'm acutely aware he's yet to achieve anything at Carlton so don't bother pointing that out), and Collingwood has become progressively worse every season under Buckley.

I do, however, agree with you that of far greater concern to us than MM's coaching and his general demeanour, is the state of our Board.

Uh oh. I totally agree with a Collingwood supporter...I feel so dirty :(

Oh please. Give me a break.

MM delivered your club a flag which is no easy achievement. He also took you to consecutive grand final appearances - granted, both resulted in losses - with a bog ordinary squad.

When he departed your club many were in awe with what he had achieved and many considered Collingwood in a perfect position to develop into a dynasty. Were you not an exceptionally young squad when you won the flag in 2010?

MM built your squad up magnificently to a level that few have done in the past. Unfortunately for you, Eddie let his love of Buckley get in the way - now Mick has moved on (yes, I'm acutely aware he's yet to achieve anything at Carlton so don't bother pointing that out), and Collingwood has become progressively worse every season under Buckley.

I do, however, agree with you that of far greater concern to us than MM's coaching and his general demeanour, is the state of our Board.

Congratulations you have your own opinion, well done.

My post was in reply to several posts by said poster but I didn't quote them all.

I didn't voice my opinion on Mick just pointed out that we are aware that the said poster is not a fan of Mick which is obvious in several threads.

Some people's repetitive opinions are agenda driven.

Read my post in context before making any assumptions!

My response was a generalised one. Not to target you. Your post was the most recent deriding a dissenting view on MM among the vociferous group think on here. This was the reason for the quotation. I was also surprised at the "tone" from a respected mod. I understand frustration at the dogmatic, just wish we saw similar responses to some other dogmatic individuals, who have their histrionics go unchecked on here.

My response was a generalised one. Not to target you. Your post was the most recent deriding a dissenting view on MM among the vociferous group think on here. This was the reason for the quotation. I was also surprised at the "tone" from a respected mod. I understand frustration at the dogmatic, just wish we saw similar responses to some other dogmatic individuals, who have their histrionics go unchecked on here.

So this below wasn't directed at me?
please don't ridicule those who raise valid opinions differing from yours

I've explained myself yet you still take my post out of context.

Time to move on as my original post was not directed at you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So this below wasn't directed at me?

I've explained myself yet you still take my post out of context.

Time to move on as my original post was not directed at you.

As I am sure you know, the word "your" can be applied singularly or plural.
I gave you the respect of an explanatory response. I clearly stated it was a general response to "group think".
I advised that it was not directed at you singularly yet you take umbrage, suggesting you were taken out of context, yet
you clearly continue choose to take me out of context.

The purpose of my post was to convey my disgust at the attacks on individuals who post contrary to the group think of the regular "post whores" around here. The wagons are automatically circled and more often than not the poster is despatched from the board by the swarm.

Regardless of posting style or even some content, good on the poster for not being chased off. If he had breached any protocols your response would surely be more direct.

I am now happy to move on unless you have a need for the last word.

OK my two cents on Mick.

i actually didn't mind him at collingwood, I liked and still do like his prickly nature, and enjoyed his pressers, no bull, I get sick of the cliched responses, and he challenges those dim wits like Conolly and Robinson, he's had runs ins with these two whilst at collingwoood, he's been in the coaching game for what 30 years, yeh so he maybe a bit sick of the media, yeh so what, that doesn't worry me....I am too !

As for the stoush with Ling, I'm pretty sure this snapping at one another goes on all the time, what a ridiculous media build up, what ?? Is Ling 10 years old, man up you ugly Ranga !! Eddie McGuire would have created a nice big diversion by now, just like the one going on now, diverting all the attention from collingwood and buckley's mediocre performances.

I think Mick is getting a raw deal with media at the moment, he was like this at collingwood the only difference is they where winning...

Maybe he could be a bit smarter with the media, but nah thats not his style

#standbymick

The ling incident was resolved Sunday or Monday at latest
He said it was cleared up on the spot. He said to Mick "don't talk to me like that, I don't control the replays". Mick made it clear he was talking to the channel 7 producers next to him and Ling said everything was fine.

scott from north melbourne gets pretty wound up...clarkson punched a wall

So what !!!

It an emotional game, I wanna see this, not some robotic cliched mannequin
Hardwick threatened to punch a journo 3 weeks ago. Scott attacked Rockliff. Hinkley nearly punched his assistant coach during the first showdown.

No one cares because it's not Mick.

Hardwick threatened to punch a journo 3 weeks ago. Scott attacked Rockliff. Hinkley nearly punched his assistant coach during the first showdown.

No one cares because it's not Mick.

No one cares because they don't coach Carlton. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back