Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It saddens me that our club would buy in to the media agenda. It saddens me more that the media thinks a few cranky words directed at them is a lot worse than a coach threatening to belt a journo, or a coach calling a journo a ********. Of course it also saddens me that some Carlton administrators & supporters would back the media over our own coach. I would hate to be in the trenches with these people. You may as well just throw yourself at the mercy of the enemy than rely on them to stick by you.

Unfortunately nowadays our club is a carbon copy of Collingwood of the '80s & Richmond of the '00s; very happy to eat its own, hence why we are getting nowhere. We all know the old saying, disunity is death.

I like that Mick gives the journos crap, and the precious way they rally around their "injured" colleagues to have a collective sook about that nasty old Mick Malthouse. :rolleyes:
We need more of that belligerence back in our culture. My Pies supporting mate reckons there hasn't been a Carlton player he really hates since the days of Diesel and Rhys-Jones. That is a disgrace!!! :mad:

Headlines like this one from news.com.au don't help the Carlton cause IMO. More likely they turn fans off (and we can't afford that with our membership stocks significantly below that of the other powerhouse clubs):

"Malthouse storms out of press conference after Carlton’s best win of the year over North Melbourne"

Malthouse didn't write the headline which was totally inaccurate by the way. He hardly stormed off, the last question was known to be the last one even before it was posed.

Maybe the people who write these headlines should be held responsible for the messages they convey.

Mick needs to lighten up. Simple. After 30 years as a coach, I expect a bit of maturity from Mick in dealing with the media. They are there to ask probing questions for interesting responses for print FFS.

He gets paid far too much by our club to chuck a hissy fit like he has been doing almost every week this year.

Grow up Malthouse.

Headlines like this one from news.com.au don't help the Carlton cause IMO. More likely they turn fans off (and we can't afford that with our membership stocks significantly below that of the other powerhouse clubs):

"Malthouse storms out of press conference after Carlton’s best win of the year over North Melbourne"

typical journo scumbags. Waiting for any small sign of a slip up and they'll write and talk about him for a week.

People here need to realise that the problem here is with the media. vultures, the lot of them.

Mick needs to lighten up. Simple. After 30 years as a coach, I expect a bit of maturity from Mick in dealing with the media. They are there to ask probing questions for interesting responses for print FFS.

He gets paid far too much by our club to chuck a hissy fit like he has been doing almost every week this year.

Grow up Malthouse.

Well said. Hell he's getting paid 1 million plus WTF is he complaining about. If he's feeling down he should bring in his mobile phone to the press conference and every time he feels like he's going to be rude just sneak a peak at his bank balance on his mobile phone app.

They are there to ask probing questions for interesting responses for print FFS.

Maybe if the media uphold their end of the bargain then Mick will uphold his.

Grow up Malthouse.
Maybe they should ask better questions.
Media in general, but particularly footy media, are nothing but faux celebrities these days.
Play on Mick.

Well said. Hell he's getting paid 1 million plus WTF is he complaining about. If he's feeling down he should bring in his mobile phone to the press conference and every time he feels like he's going to be rude just sneak a peak at his bank balance on his mobile phone app.
Maybe he's getting paid to try and coach our team. Media is just an obligation he has to meet, doesnt mean he has to do it a certain way.

I was speaking to someone today who suggested there is a lot of work to be done on the Admin side of things. No suggestion of dysfunction though. He also stated that Trigg is virtually over the line for the CEO position.
Yes the word is strong about Trigg. The sooner the Board gets down to a reasonable size the sooner it might get real focus on our direction rather than getting mired in intra-board differences.

Maybe he's getting paid to try and coach our team. Media is just an obligation he has to meet, doesnt mean he has to do it a certain way.

Mate it's all part of the job, he is also paid to represent our club in those press conferences and he is representing us in poor fashion. Yeah there's nothing written in his contract on how to behave with the media because it's just a given that it's part of his job. His behaviour is akin to that of a 10 year old.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Malthouse didn't write the headline which was totally inaccurate by the way. He hardly stormed off, the last question was known to be the last one even before it was posed.

Maybe the people who write these headlines should be held responsible for the messages they convey.
But he certainly was pointed in his leaving! The point some of us are trying to make is that while it is a two way street Mick needs to learn to embrace and "use" the media if he wants to be effective. They aren't going to change their ways!!

It saddens me that our club would buy in to the media agenda. It saddens me more that the media thinks a few cranky words directed at them is a lot worse than a coach threatening to belt a journo, or a coach calling a journo a ********. Of course it also saddens me that some Carlton administrators & supporters would back the media over our own coach. I would hate to be in the trenches with these people. You may as well just throw yourself at the mercy of the enemy than rely on them to stick by you.

Unfortunately nowadays our club is a carbon copy of Collingwood of the '80s & Richmond of the '00s; very happy to eat its own, hence why we are getting nowhere. We all know the old saying, disunity is death.
Your points are well made. Don't think we can avoid buying in to the media hype. It's reach is pervasive and fans are affected by it.

typical journo scumbags. Waiting for any small sign of a slip up and they'll write and talk about him for a week.

People here need to realise that the problem here is with the media. vultures, the lot of them.
Yes but THEY aren't going to change any time soon so shouldn't the club and Mick be smart and use them to our advantage??

That's just it, he's a sore loser, if we were in the eight his behavior wouldn't be as bad.

Too many people mistake pride in performance & a competitive nature for being a sore loser, I for one after a poor performance dont want MM sitting in front of the media all smiley & back slapping.

Whilst the media are blowing up the MM issue to me it shows how really pathetic they are when more time is spent on this issue than the careers of some great players who announced their retirements this last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back