Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our list is filled with players who do one thing brilliantly and everything else poorly: Warnock and tap work, Robinson/Bell and bullocking, Curnow and tagging, Casboult and contested marks, etc etc.

Only 1 of those (Warnock) cost us a pick in the first 2 rounds - 3 were rookies.

If you want to point the finger in the past decade then Kennedy, Grigg and Hampson are at other clubs, Bower fizzled out, Bootsma is no longer at the club, while Lucas and Watson can't get a game.

For sure. I'm talking about guys still on our list. You could add another dozen names to the ones you mentioned if you're talking about main draft players we've given up on, or failed to develop.

Every list needs VFL journeymen to play specific roles cheaply, but when you're trying to build a team around them instead of using them to supplement established stars, you get the mess Mick is in.

Hello to all on the "lovin MM" thread. Not wishing to disturb your peaceful contemplation of how lucky we are to have MM (and even I think we could have done worse) I was just wondering.
1. After round 3 of 2012 our team moved to premiership favourites by the bookies (certainly flag contenders).
2. At the end of 2012 we finished 10th, sakced Ratts and appointed the great man (essentially finishing middle 6).
3. At the end of 2013 we finished 9th or 6th depending on your taste (essentially middle 6).
4. We look like finishing 2014 no higher than 13th (essentially bottom 6).
5.If we are lucky enough to have MM for season 2015 I think we will finish bottom 6.

So I was just wondering, what do you guys who love the great man think he is going to do in his third year at the club?
Do you agree with me (and still think, as you might, MM is doing a great job, but is hamstrung by a lousy list, poor recruiting and player development and needs more time) or do you think we will see measurable improvement by finishing higher on the ladder?

Genuinely curious.

I think we have to see measurable improvement. However, I am now seeing what is required consistency wise and how hard it is to extract from all players, and how lacking our depth players have been.

If we see Murph, Gibbs and Yarran step backwards again, if Hendo doesn't step up further, if we show wild inconsistency in application, you have to start looking at why the coaches can't extract as close to their best form out of them consistently enough.

We are not going to solve our depth issues this offseason so are still going to be fragile if injuries hit.

I reckon we've had to take a step backwards here and there because we took the wrong fork in the maze, but if we are still wandering around searching for the beginning so we can start again, it's going to feel like a wasted couple of years and searching questions should be asked.

I think we have a capable list who don't get the best out of themselves. Whether we turn over a whole list or we keep rotating coaches who will force the best out of them, I'm not sure.

The tail shouldn't wag the dog but the status quo should never be accepted either.

Hello to all on the "lovin MM" thread. Not wishing to disturb your peaceful contemplation of how lucky we are to have MM (and even I think we could have done worse) I was just wondering.
1. After round 3 of 2012 our team moved to premiership favourites by the bookies (certainly flag contenders).
2. At the end of 2012 we finished 10th, sakced Ratts and appointed the great man (essentially finishing middle 6).
3. At the end of 2013 we finished 9th or 6th depending on your taste (essentially middle 6).
5.If we are lucky enough to have MM for season 2015 I think we will finish bottom 6.

So I was just wondering, what do you guys who love the great man think he is going to do in his third year at the club?
Do you agree with me (and still think, as you might, MM is doing a great job, but is hamstrung by a lousy list, poor recruiting and player development and needs more time) or do you think we will see measurable improvement by finishing higher on the ladder?

Genuinely curious.

Needs more time but it wouldn't surprise me if we moved a few pegs up the ladder, or possibly lower. It happens when silly deals are given out to players like Joseph, Mitchell, McCarthy, Davies and we take a player swap of Andrew Collins. And if you look at the delistings from 2012, 9 players were let go once Mick arrived and all weren't good enough.

With the 9 players that were let go in 2012 and the host that were given the axe, Mick is years (depth) of having a great team.
With the amount of players that weren't up to it and have been let go over the past 2 years, I am actually surprised we aren't sitting dead last.

Genuinely curious.

Strange request 77 pages in...

Would've thought the 2,000-odd posts that came before the one above answered the question...

I reckon we've had to take a step backwards here and there because we took the wrong fork in the maze, but if we are still wandering around searching for the beginning so we can start again, it's going to feel like a wasted couple of years and searching questions should be asked.
I just watched the Labyrinth with my 6yo son on the weekend. I hope we are not stuck in THAT maze. Or if we are, then hopefully we have a grouchy yet kind hearted goblin and prehistoric beast help us on our way... Not naming names, or anything. HBF thylacine60

The tail shouldn't wag the dog but the status quo should never be accepted either.
Ah. Hmm. Err. If the tail not wagging the dog is the status quo then we shouldn't accept it? So we should accept the tail wagging the dog? But then we'd be...?
Dang, mixed metaphors are so confusing ;)

Ah. Hmm. Err. If the tail not wagging the dog is the status quo then we shouldn't accept it? So we should accept the tail wagging the dog? But then we'd be...?
Dang, mixed metaphors are so confusing ;)

Our players not applying themselves gets coaches sacked. However it is ridiculous to turn over inconsistent gun footballers. Sooner or later a coach is going to have to extract the best out of these players. We can't keep blaming coaches for players not performing consistently and we can't keep blaming players for a team not performing consistently while the coach is given a free pass.

If Murph, Yazz and Gibbs go back to being inconsistent next year, do we trade them or do we also wonder why Mick can't motivate them? They are having decent seasons and can not afford to drop off next year. Next season harder questions will be asked of everybody.

Given we sacked Ratten because of the inconsistency of the side, I was at least expecting that issue to be sorted out under a commanding coach like Malthouse two years in.

Our players not applying themselves gets coaches sacked. However it is ridiculous to turn over inconsistent gun footballers. Sooner or later a coach is going to have to extract the best out of these players. We can't keep blaming coaches for players not performing consistently and we can't keep blaming players for a team not performing consistently while the coach is given a free pass.

If Murph, Yazz and Gibbs go back to being inconsistent next year, do we trade them or do we also wonder why Mick can't motivate them? They are having decent seasons and can not afford to drop off next year. Next season harder questions will be asked of everybody.

Given we sacked Ratten because of the inconsistency of the side, I was at least expecting that issue to be sorted out under a commanding coach like Malthouse two years in.
Shorter ODN - if our established players do not at least maintain their form of 2014 over the upcoming seasons then questions should be asked of their commitment to the club. Is that it? ;)

That's pretty much what has been said of Melbourne this week - by both internal and external parties; players, coaches and ex-greats. By God, I hope we do not end up there. :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. Windhover, you have written thousands of words saying what you said in post #1905 and have had thousands of words in responses.

You are flogging a horse that is so dead it stinks.
very articulate though..... Windy, maybe you should become a polly. Now there's a job where its all about me me me and actually does nothing for aust citizens yet reaping benifits. hell you could get the typical taxpayer to pay for meals travel and workwear. Much like a coach, yet the tax payers are the club and afl to a degree with respect to the tv rights.

Micks great, true, but lets not kid ourselves, some say our list is great or has potential to be, so maybe micks is doing nada
some think our list sucks like mick- so yep miocks doing a great job... (well we did win a final last year) so much for that hey...
some are on the fence and just want the team to do well with any coach we just need results man.. yep i can definately see that..
whilst others seem to have way too much lets say protection for the great man... which is odd, i mean why he has at least won 2 flags in a period of 19 years so he deserves our repspect and full support. Still doesnt change the fact he treats some die hards like pieces of shit due to he doesnt bleed blue, he is a professional coach. NEVER forget that folks

very articulate though..... Windy, maybe you should become a polly. Now there's a job where its all about me me me and actually does nothing for aust citizens yet reaping benifits. hell you could get the typical taxpayer to pay for meals travel and workwear. Much like a coach, yet the tax payers are the club and afl to a degree with respect to the tv rights.

Micks great, true, but lets not kid ourselves, some say our list is great or has potential to be, so maybe micks is doing nada
some think our list sucks like mick- so yep miocks doing a great job... (well we did win a final last year) so much for that hey...
some are on the fence and just want the team to do well with any coach we just need results man.. yep i can definately see that..
whilst others seem to have way too much lets say protection for the great man... which is odd, i mean why he has at least won 2 flags in a period of 19 years so he deserves our repspect and full support. Still doesnt change the fact he treats some die hards like pieces of shit due to he doesnt bleed blue, he is a professional coach. NEVER forget that folks

I get the positives and negatives you have put forward summing up what we think. Can you point me in the direction of someone out there that thinks we have a great list?
If you were just taking the piss, all good ;)
Our list has been poor since 2002. We have been "good" a few seasons and "better than good" in 2011. Results have flattered us. Although if we had have made it past WCE, we would have been crushed the next week.
The old saying, you can only beat the team that's in front of you is what we did in those years. Our list wasn't great like many of the teams out there in those years.

Genuinely curious.
Top 6

he doesnt bleed blue, he is a professional coach. NEVER forget that folks

Is this meant to be a negative? I would say this is exactly why he is the right man for the job. He is a professional coach who hopefully can help to make the club as a whole operate in the same manner. It is what he demands from every section of the club be it the players, the staff, administration, recruiters etc.

The last thing we need right now is another club legend who bleeds blue and is beholden to the past who isn't capable of breaking the shackles and dragging the club forward.

Geelong and Hawthorn haven't done badly by appointing people who have no previous allegiances to their clubs to their coaching positions.

Is this meant to be a negative? I would say this is exactly why he is the right man for the job. He is a professional coach who hopefully can help to make the club as a whole operate in the same manner. It is what he demands from every section of the club be it the players, the staff, administration, recruiters etc.

The last thing we need right now is another club legend who bleeds blue and is beholden to the past who isn't capable of breaking the shackles and dragging the club forward.

Geelong and Hawthorn haven't done badly by appointing people who have no previous allegiances to their clubs to their coaching positions.
you missed my point. All good

Genuinely curious.

Riddle me this.

What drives a supposed Carlton supporter into dedicating over 95 of their last 100 posts to criticism of MM.

Genuinely curious.

I just watched the Labyrinth with my 6yo son on the weekend. I hope we are not stuck in THAT maze. Or if we are, then hopefully we have a grouchy yet kind hearted goblin and prehistoric beast help us on our way... Not naming names, or anything. HBF thylacine60 ;)
Hey, I can be grumpy yet kind hearted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back