Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needs more time but it wouldn't surprise me if we moved a few pegs up the ladder, or possibly lower. It happens when silly deals are given out to players like Joseph, Mitchell, McCarthy, Davies and we take a player swap of Andrew Collins. And if you look at the delistings from 2012, 9 players were let go once Mick arrived and all weren't good enough.

With the 9 players that were let go in 2012 and the host that were given the axe, Mick is years (depth) of having a great team.
With the amount of players that weren't up to it and have been let go over the past 2 years, I am actually surprised we aren't sitting dead last.

Spot on post - worth repeating - except for the ironic last phrase. Truth is that there is a huge gap between top4/5 sides and the rest and only a few goals here or there difference between the rest of the sides.

Hello to all on the "lovin MM" thread. Not wishing to disturb your peaceful contemplation of how lucky we are to have MM (and even I think we could have done worse) I was just wondering.
1. After round 3 of 2012 our team moved to premiership favourites by the bookies (certainly flag contenders).
2. At the end of 2012 we finished 10th, sakced Ratts and appointed the great man (essentially finishing middle 6).
3. At the end of 2013 we finished 9th or 6th depending on your taste (essentially middle 6).
4. We look like finishing 2014 no higher than 13th (essentially bottom 6).
5.If we are lucky enough to have MM for season 2015 I think we will finish bottom 6.

So I was just wondering, what do you guys who love the great man think he is going to do in his third year at the club?
Do you agree with me (and still think, as you might, MM is doing a great job, but is hamstrung by a lousy list, poor recruiting and player development and needs more time) or do you think we will see measurable improvement by finishing higher on the ladder?

Genuinely curious.

I'll have a go but firstly what you think about 2015 wouldn't surprise too many who have read this thread.

For the first time in a number of years we have, in the last two games, shown that we are not as far away as you think if we can bring four quarters of intensity to the table and I can't remember the last time we did that in two straight games. I know two swallows don't make a summer but they do indicate that summer's on the way.

Our last four games are against sides that are trying to get into the eight, trying for a home final or contending for top four. On exposed form we have no right to even think we should get close to any of these teams particularly without Henderson, Walker, Menzel and Everitt and with a rookie ruckman who has failed at two clubs.

To be honest, I don't really want to win any of those games but hope we will show the competitiveness that we've shown of late. I'll be happy with close losses (although would still seriously like to beat Essendon) and, on the back of them will be quietly confident going into next season. This list is much better than it was before MM and you can take to the bank the fact that it will be better again next year.

I'll ask you a question. Would you like a media friendly coach who criticises, publicly, his playing group as a whole, the culture of tanking which has lead to a loser mentallity, the previous coaches and repeatedly deflects the responsibility for failure away from himself or would you like a media outlaw who doesn't criticise his playing group publicly, doesn't criticise the culture or the previous coach and doesn't deflect that reponsibility?

You may elect for someone like Roos but I much prefer the Malthouse "we" style against the "them" style of Roos.

Two posters directly answered my specific question so thanks pepalenko (who reckons we will finish top 6) and blue heeler (who agrees with me that 3rd year MM will be bottom 6). Those who posted in generalities and those who offered me well intentioned career advice are like Carlton under MM - going nowhere fast. I thought I should respond to two of these posts.

This. Windhover, you have written thousands of words saying what you said in post #1905 and have had thousands of words in responses.
You are flogging a horse that is so dead it stinks.
Even I think that is a most disgusting way to describe MM.

Riddle me this.

What drives a supposed Carlton supporter into dedicating over 95 of their last 100 posts to criticism of MM.

Genuinely curious.

Bit of a surprise you do not know the answer Doormat since it is mentioned once or twice in those posts. As a "supposed" Carlton supporter it was clear from the second quarter of the Richmond game, round 2 this year, that we were going nowhere under MM. Even you would have to admit that as season 2014 has subsequently unfolded that opinion could only have been verified.

Unless and until MM is gone as coach there is nothing we can or will do that will lift us from bottom 6. Next year, apart possibly from St Kilda, who do you think with any confidence we might beat?

Two posters directly answered my specific question so thanks pepalenko (who reckons we will finish top 6) and blue heeler (who agrees with me that 3rd year MM will be bottom 6). Those who posted in generalities and those who offered me well intentioned career advice are like Carlton under MM - going nowhere fast. I thought I should respond to two of these posts.

Bit of a surprise you do not know the answer Doormat since it is mentioned once or twice in those posts. As a "supposed" Carlton supporter it was clear from the second quarter of the Richmond game, round 2 this year, that we were going nowhere under MM. Even you would have to admit that as season 2014 has subsequently unfolded that opinion could only have been verified.

Unless and until MM is gone as coach there is nothing we can or will do that will lift us from bottom 6. Next year, apart possibly from St Kilda, who do you think with any confidence we might beat?

I'll bite. Where the **** did I say that?

Geez, please remind me not to call you if I'm ever looking for a ghost writer.

I'll bite. Where the **** did I say that?

Geez, please remind me not to call you if I'm ever looking for a ghost writer.

At the start of your post.
I'll have a go but firstly what you think about 2015 wouldn't surprise too many who have read this thread.
I took this as implicit agreement by you that we would finish bottom 6 (since that is what I think about 2015). Nothing you posted afterwards was directly on point.

ps. Please do not call me to be your ghost writer. Send the money you will save to your favourite charity.

I'm willing to have a $100 wager on that one.. Are you?
Nice one but no thanks. I can get better odds on similar bets with the bookies (as can you) so you can effectively lay off the bet. I am happy to wager $100 we wont play finals next year in the 3rd year of MM.
2015- soft draw, don't forget :D
Will we get to play St Kilda twice. I rightly fear GWS, Brisbane and Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the start of your post.

I took this as implicit agreement by you that we would finish bottom 6 (since that is what I think about 2015). Nothing you posted afterwards was directly on point.

ps. Please do not call me to be your ghost writer. Send the money you will save to your favourite charity.

Well buggar me.

And if nothing after that was on point WTF is your point?

You need another hobby mate. Or should I say obsession.

Probably the smartest post you've made on this thread.
actually to be honest, i dont share all of wind's views. But you have to give it to him/her, they back up comments with stats or facts so thats goes a long way more than someone just saying x and y. Windy can be a bit much sometimes, and heck i have even been biten for apparently saying the same thing more than once but its the same in life. If we agree we might maske a comment, if we dont we dont have to go all silly about it. he/she has a view and thats it it's just a view.

Two posters directly answered my specific question so thanks pepalenko (who reckons we will finish top 6) and blue heeler (who agrees with me that 3rd year MM will be bottom 6). Those who posted in generalities and those who offered me well intentioned career advice are like Carlton under MM - going nowhere fast. I thought I should respond to two of these posts...

And yet working yourself into a lather over MM has been a great leap forward for you. If only you were a career counsellor at Uni all those years ago.

Nice one but no thanks. I can get better odds on similar bets with the bookies (as can you) so you can effectively lay off the bet. I am happy to wager $100 we wont play finals next year in the 3rd year of MM.

Will we get to play St Kilda twice. I rightly fear GWS, Brisbane and Melbourne.
Is this guy for real?

Really Windhover? You are willing now to bet on Carlton finishing outside the top 8 (or predict they will go bottom 6 without putting money on it...) in 2015 and we haven't even come close to the trade period or draft? For someone who obviously prides themselves on logical arguments, you are coming to a conclusion very prematurely.

What's the list turnover we have had in the last 2 off-seasons? What's the bet that it is something similar again? Without going too deep into the whole this is a completely different side to 3 years ago argument, you can guarantee we will have a lot of new faces in 2015 too.

What happens if we get Tom Boyd in? Who else will we bring in or draft? How much improvement will we see from our recent draftees? Will our midfield of Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Thomas, Cripps and Graham be up there with the strongest in the comp? Perhaps we will be trading in an a-grade mid too.

You've gone very, very early mate. You can bet your backside that if we are up around the 4th-6th mark (where I think and hope we will get to), you will hear about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back