Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone get the impression that Mick is taking a long-term view and not really bothered with these early games?

I think Ratts would have coached victories against the Tiges and the Filth.
Mick seems very measured about the lapses that have lost us all 3 games. He doesn't seem desperate. I think he's just getting a feel for the players and where they belong.
He may have even taken the view before the start of the season that the first 4-5 games didn't matter.

Yes, absolutely. :thumbsu:

Anyone get the impression that Mick is taking a long-term view and not really bothered with these early games?

I think Ratts would have coached victories against the Tiges and the Filth.
Mick seems very measured about the lapses that have lost us all 3 games. He doesn't seem desperate. I think he's just getting a feel for the players and where they belong.
He may have even taken the view before the start of the season that the first 4-5 games didn't matter.

Yes, and will be quite ruthless at the end of the year in ensuring he has the make-up of a team that can follow his gameplan. This will most probably involve at least one choice which is not popular with the supporter base.

At the end of the day, it's far more likely that Malthouse will adapt the squad to his gameplan than the other way around.

He has the right idea with this get the ball long quickly plan, we simply haven't put into practice an effective way to defend while doing it.

Without KP forwards once a side pushes back numbers we barely score, Waite would have seen us at 2-1 or 3-0 right now. I'd love to see a bloke like Mitchell step up, if he could go past Rowe & Casboult we would see a huge improvement.

I'd imagine we might go through year this as a transition year if we lose the next two which means that Malthouse will find out who is worth keeping and who should be delisted/traded. I don't think Carlton's list is nearly prepared enough for the time when Judd,Scotland and Waite eventually retire.

Some very good thoughtful posts on this thread, great read. The lack of jerking knees is terrific.

I think Mick was always, through necessity rather than design, going to use these first games to audtion his list. In some ways the toughness of the early draw has suited this because he has really been able to get a look at players against good opponents, under relentless pressure, and get a good idea of their worth for a future assault on the flag. The down side is that losing three games on the trot saps confidence (really noticed that with our set shots on Saturday) and makes the eight harder to achieve this year. But I can live with missing finals in 2013 if it means a serious tilt at a premiership in the near future.

The shortcomings that are losing us games this year are the same ones from last year. They've been identified by better footy minds and eyes than mine (Gbatman is always worth reading on this) so I will not carry on about them but I will say that they are not Mick's fault. He has to fix them as well as identify who can fill the glaring holes in our team, again well documented. Give him time I say.

I think we showed against Geelong and Collingwood that we will be very competitive against good sides this year. But after watching Hawtthorn demolish the Pies yesterday we have a long way to go.

What Geelong does not have, and what Hawthorn does not have, are weak links. We have too many. Mick knows as well as any coach how to get ordinary players playing a role well and when he finds which of our lesser lights can do what is required we will be on the way as it will take a lot of pressure off our better players.

Interesting times.

Some very good thoughtful posts on this thread, great read. The lack of jerking knees is terrific.

I think Mick was always, through necessity rather than design, going to use these first games to audtion his list. In some ways the toughness of the early draw has suited this because he has really been able to get a look at players against good opponents, under relentless pressure, and get a good idea of their worth for a future assault on the flag. The down side is that losing three games on the trot saps confidence (really noticed that with our set shots on Saturday) and makes the eight harder to achieve this year. But I can live with missing finals in 2013 if it means a serious tilt at a premiership in the near future.

The shortcomings that are losing us games this year are the same ones from last year. They've been identified by better footy minds and eyes than mine (Gbatman is always worth reading on this) so I will not carry on about them but I will say that they are not Mick's fault. He has to fix them as well as identify who can fill the glaring holes in our team, again well documented. Give him time I say.

I think we showed against Geelong and Collingwood that we will be very competitive against good sides this year. But after watching Hawtthorn demolish the Pies yesterday we have a long way to go.

What Geelong does not have, and what Hawthorn does not have, are weak links. We have too many. Mick knows as well as any coach how to get ordinary players playing a role well and when he finds which of our lesser lights can do what is required we will be on the way as it will take a lot of pressure off our better players.

Interesting times.
Sim, you have articulated everything I'm thinking. We've known what our fixture was for months and surely no one thought any of these games were gimmes. That fact is we've been in positions to win each one and that's what makes me optimistic about the rest of the season and beyond.
In my best case scenario, we would have made top 4 this year but that would have relied on players adapting to the game plan quickly, fringe players improving and a good run if injuries to key players. So far the only factor I've seen is that some guys have stepped up this season and we just have to be patient with the other two factors. So even if we miss the eight, I expect to see us finish the season with some momentum and a glimpse of what we can expect next year. No doubt there are several players who won't be there next year and even some who may have played their last senior game already. We should be active in the draft and free agency periods this year and hopefully we will bridge the gap between ourselves and the top teams.

This Carlton side isn't "Mick's team", he inherited this team and is using this year to play and get a look at as many guys as he can, I guarantee you there will be a sizable clean-out come year's end, I think we can forget about getting deep into September in 2013.

Not seeing any urgency from Mick to win these early games, seems like the bloke is building for a mid to late year build up. Plus with superstars like Judd aging and murphy distracted by captaincy makes me wonder where we are going to be come september

This Carlton side isn't "Mick's team", he inherited this team and is using this year to play and get a look at as many guys as he can, I guarantee you there will be a sizable clean-out come year's end, I think we can forget about getting deep into September in 2013.

If we are to make the eight we will have to beat everyone we should beat: teams like Brisbane, Port Adelaide, St Kilda, the Suns, Bulldogs etc Trouble is there are virtually no gimmes out there any more so our form will have to be very very good indeed in the second half of the season.

I think a real indicator of where we are at will be against Adelaide. We should win: it's at the MCG, they are in ordinary form, but they have a good team and will likewise see us a very winnable game. They will also fancy themselves after killing us last year and beating us in the NAB cup.

Lose this and watch the media go after Malthouse in earnest.

Can & will Carlton supporters accept not making the 2013 finals?
Really, what choice will they have?

A sakc Malthouse campaign (with 2 million dollar payout) would have as much chance of succeeding than the bring back Fev one.

Nope, the bed has been made and we will have to sleep in it even if the mattress proves uncomfortable this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slightly off topic, but am I the only one that doesn't see our premiership window as reliant on Judd still being around? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE juddy. And this is not a Judd @ Carlton v Judd @ WCE comment or any of that Judd-bashing either.

But surely the day Judd retires, a ~$700-800k slot in our salary cap opens up (VERY approx guesswork here, I know his contract was front-loaded, don't know how much by). Wouldn't that be enough money to go out and get a very decent midfielder to 'replace' Judd?

In my mind, no one is truly irreplaceable unless they are performing MASSIVELY above their salary. If you lose a player to injury, he isn't playing but you are still paying him. Lose a player to retirement, he isn't playing but you can afford a replacement.

Well, maybe we can't replace Juddy exactly for his salary, but it's not like his impact is completely wiped out.....Way off base here?

ps - nbatman1, not picking on you, just using your post as an excuse to bring up post-Juddy options...

We still have major holes and Judd isn't getting any younger.

I don't believe that we need to start at the bottom, but I believe that it will take a season or two before Mick can get us to a premiership type level.

Bombers were 11 from 14 before they crashed back to earth once their supplements ran out...

You wouldn't say that Port are a great side if they have 12 points on the board because they've knock off Melbourne, GWS and Adelaide.

Essendon have only knocked off Adelaide, Melbourne and Freo.

So........2 finalists?

funny how every one seems to be sticking up for mick malthouse here,seems last year every one was calling for the head of a legend of our club.ratten had no chance last year with all the injuries and i reckon it was an absolute shame that he was sacked. watching every game i cant even tell what our supposed new game plan is can someone please fill me in.

funny how every one seems to be sticking up for mick malthouse here,seems last year every one was calling for the head of a legend of our club.ratten had no chance last year with all the injuries and i reckon it was an absolute shame that he was sacked. watching every game i cant even tell what our supposed new game plan is can someone please fill me in.
I'm guessing its because he's 3 games into his tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back