Mid season draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 there were 13 players taken. Only 4 of those have played any significant amount of AFL games.
M Pickett, J Noble, R Gardner, W Snelling

2020 no MSD

2021 22 players were taken. Of those 10, 11 or 12 have played a significant amount of AFL games, depending what you define as significant.
J Newcombe, A Johnson, P Parnell, N Moyle, J Peatling, S Durham, M Parker, J McEntee, J Boyd, C Sharman, D Turner

2022 17
players were taken. Of those probably 7 have played significant games or shown decent promise.
J Culley, K Dawson, M D'Ambrosio, J Carmichael, J Bauer, J Menzie, J Blanck

just 13 players were taken. Of those the following have shown some promise, but still early days: R Maric, M Coulthard, J Trezise.

So we can see in 2021 there was a lot taken after all the COVID lockdowns. We were a bit stiff to be higher on the ladder than where we finished the season, otherwise we get Durham almost for certain. But there were still decent players taken after our pick.

In all 3 other msd's we can see you are probably looking at 2-3 x 100 game players at best.

Overall by far the best so far have been M Pickett, J Newcombe, S Durham, but Boyd, McEntee, Noble, Peatling, D'Ambrosio have either held down a best 22 position for an extended period or look well capable of doing so. And there are some other promising guys.

I would assume we will be looking at 2-3 players in the 19-23yo age range and unless there is someone available who just appeals as a really good player, we will be looking at guys with possible upside that the club can effectively trial for half a season and unload if they don't look like making the grade. With pick 2 just about sewn up there might be a chance of getting a ready made player, but otherwise I would think the club will be very speculative with these picks.
If I recall correctly Newcombe selection was a bit dodgy (minimum wage/contact) and the AFLHQ changed the rules after that.

There’s been decent players come thru with pic 2 guaranteed , we should get someone with claims
Is prefer someone with Clams

Digging 7 Little Johnstons GIF by TLC

Box Hill Hawks coach Zane Littlejohn calls Max Hall a “plug-and-play’’ footballer.
“What we love about him is he’s ever-reliable. You put him in a spot and, what is it, the plug and play?’’ Littlejohn said of the 22-year-old.

“We plug him in and just let him play. He’s just so reliable in getting the job done, and what makes him reliable is he’s so clean and doesn’t really waste the footy.’’

In his third year at the City Oval, Hall is having a fine season for the Hawks, emerging as a contender for the AFL’s mid-season draft and an early favourite for the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal.

The right-footer had 32 disposals against North Melbourne in Round 4, 26 against the Sydney Swans a week later and 31 in Round 6 against unbeaten ladder leader Footscray.

The Bulldogs were impressed with what they saw of the former Eastern Ranger, who came through under-age teams at the Gary Ayres-coached Montrose.

Montrose saw quite a bit of Hall in 2022 but since then, his stocks at Box Hill have risen sharply. He had 15 games last season and then fixed his focus on 2024.

Littlejohn said Hall’s pre-season was “elite’’.

“He came back super-fit, strong, powerful, all that stuff, so he put himself into a position to have a good season,’’ he said.

“It doesn’t always translate straight away but he gave himself a chance by starting and doing the work early.

“Because he’s fitter, he’s lifted his tank and he gets to more contests and gets more of the footy. And like I said, when he gets it, he’s good with it. This year we’ve really started to transition him into the midfield, as that high forward to go through the mids.’’

But, he added, he would be comfortable playing Hall across half-back comfortable playing him across half-back “if we needed him there.’’

The Hawk is one of a bunch of VFL players eyeing a move to the AFL via the mid-season rookie draft, following the path 12 months ago of 200cm Brandon Ryan (Northern Bullants to Hawthorn), Ethan Stanley (Box Hill Hawks to Fremantle) and James Trezise (Richmond VFL to Richmond).

The Bullants have another big man bubbling up in 202cm Will Elliott, the son of Test match cricketer Matthew.

Two weeks ago, Elliott took eight marks against Port Melbourne, one of them a spectacular grab in the goal square. He followed up with 18 possessions and a goal in the Ants’ stirring win over Collingwood last Saturday.

Elliott, 19, has missed a lot of football through Covid and then a knee injury, but his talent has never been in dispute.

“His upside is huge … he’s going to be a serious player,’’ Ants coach Rohan Welsh said yesterday.

“What you’re seeing is really promising but he’s still really raw … his body is going to fill out in the next two years.’’

Welsh is also promoting his wingman Saad El-Hawli.

The former Western Region league Rising Star winner is averaging 24.8 disposals from his six matches and seizing the eye with his speed. Welsh likens him to Carlton dasher Adam Saad.

“When I pick players who I think are draftable, I pick AFL players who I think they play like, and to me he’s like Adam Saad,’’ he said.

“He plays exactly the same way. Speed, good overhead, tough and a good ball-user. Good footy brain too. I think he’s got all the attributes to play in the AFL, absolutely.’’

Welsh also believes 2023 Bullants best and fairest Jean-Luc Velissaris should also be in the thoughts of AFL clubs. Velissaris, 24, had 34 touches against Collingwood and is averaging 33.3 from six matches.

“He’s tough, he wins it inside, he uses it well and he’s so consistent,’’ Welsh said of the midfielder.

“He might be one of those guys who gets to the next level and rises again.’’

Collingwood newcomer Jack Hutchinson has for weeks been touted as an early selection.

The 22-year-old joined the Pies at the encouragement of their former premiership player Jarryd Blair, who coached him at Wonthaggi in 2022-23. A 190cm forward who can jump like fat in a frying pan, Hutchinson has showed bit and pieces without blowing a game to smithereens.

One recruiter told CODE Sports that the right-footer would be drafted more on what he could do in the future “in a full-time (football) environment’’ rather than what he had done in a handful of games for Collingwood.

The Magpies’ former Hawthorn player Ned Long is also expected to come into consideration.

Long, 21, opened his season with possession counts of 25, 28 and 28 and performed well for the VFL against the SANFL. A calf complaint has kept him out of the past two rounds.

In Trezise, Richmond took one of its own players in last year’s mid-season draft, and it would be no surprise if it did so again.

Unfortunately for classy defender Mutaz El-Nour, he suffered a shoulder injury in Round 6 against Coburg and will be sidelined for eight weeks. Similar misfortune struck him before the 2023 mid-season draft, when he hurt a knee.

The Tigers may look to wingman Austin Johnson, from Southern league powerhouse Cheltenham.

Richmond coach Steve Morris gave him some lift-off after his Round 4 performance, when he had 21 disposals and five rebound 50s.

“He’s in super form at the moment, he’s such a reliable player for our team. He knows exactly the way we want to play football and he runs great patterns as a result of this,’’ Morris told Richmond’s website.

“He’s strong in the contest and continues to be a big reason as to why we’ve started the season in good form.”

Southport coach Stevie Daniel believes his half-back Ben Jepson is 50-50 to be taken in the mid-season draft.

He said Jepson, recruited from Coburg at the end of last season, had been “terrific’’ in his first season with the Sharks. He also played well for the VFL in the representative match against the SANFL.

“The last three weeks, he’s had his 30-odd (possessions) and given us a lot of drive off half-back,’’ Daniel said of Coburg’s 2023 best and fairest.

“He uses the ball really well, he’s tough, strong over the ball, understands the game. Two clubs have inquired about him.’’

Frankston coach Jackson Kornberg calls George Grey the Dolphins’ “most obvious’’ draft prospect.

Changing clubs and positions, the former Casey Demon has thrived in his move to half-back, pinging forward with skill and speed. He’s averaging 23.5 possessions for his 4-2 team.

“Classy ball-user, very good decision-maker; he’s been a class above,’’ Kornberg said of Grey.

He said the Dolphins had two other players who should be in mid-season draft discussions: former Kangaroo Tom Murphy and Lachie Reidy.

Murphy returned to Frankston this year after going back to local football in 2023. Previously used as a half-back, he has revelled in his onball role, averaging 22 disposals from his six matches.

“He’s been really consistent and powerful. He’s a territory-taker who drives his legs and he’s starting to impact in the front-half too,’’ Kornberg said. “He’s a great runner and uses the ball well.’’

He said few players did what Murphy, 26, had done, dropping back to local level, returning to the state league and performing at a high level.

“Usually once you go to local, that’s it. It’s different with him. He’s lived the highs and lows of the AFL and now he’s got the passion back.’’

The Dolphins went into the season thinking Reidy would predominantly play on the wing. But the former Eastern Ranges player has come through as an inside midfielder.

“I think he’s one who’s popped up,’’ Kornberg said. “He wills himself from contest to contest and accumulates through that.’’

Key defenders Finbar O’Dwyer (Williamstown) and Nathan Cooper (Werribee) may appeal to clubs needing to bolster their backlines.

Cooper, one of the quickest players at Werribee, played in the state game against the SANFL.

“If any AFL clubs are looking for a key defender, he defends as well as anyone going around,’’ Bees coach Jimmy Allan said of Cooper, a former Sydney Swans reserve player.

‘’He’d be ready to go straight away. Defends like his life depends on it.’’

O’Dwyer joined Willy after a rookie listing at Carlton and has become a starting point for coach Justin Plapp and his selection committee.

Plapp also believes that former Carlton defender Luke Parks, ex-Richmond defender Riley Collier-Dawkins and key forward Corey Ellison will come into calculations.

“His stoppage and contest stuff has been elite for us,’’ Plapp said of Collier-Dawkins, who had 32 disposals against Essendon last Saturday. “He’s building. His last few weeks have been at a very high level.’’

He said Parks was a “genuine intercept defender, he’s tough, he can defend one-on-one’’.

“He’s not too dissimilar to Marty Hore, really,’’ Plapp said.

Midfielder Jack Toner has also hit stride in the past two rounds, having 24 touches against Casey Demons and 25 against Essendon.

Essendon small forward Oskar Smartt enhanced his chances of advancing to the AFL with two snappy performances in the Young Guns series. The Bendigo Pioneers graduate also kicked four goals from 12 touches against the unbeaten Footscray Bulldogs.

“There’s so much upside to him. But where he’s at already is pretty solid,’’ Young Guns coach Matt O’Connor said of Smartt.

“Great forward pressure. We asked a question to the group, ‘What do you bring?’ And he just said, ‘I bring pressure’. He’s got a bit of life about him, which I think is great.’’

It’s understood that former Sandringham Dragon Cooper Lord has caught the interest of clubs through his performances with North Melbourne VFL. Bar his two Young Guns selections, the midfielder has played every game for the Roos.

“He’s a talented kid. I really like him,’’ North coach Tommy Lynch said.

Former WAFL player Ben Edwards is another who could bob up. He’s made a perky start with the Sydney Swans’ VFL team, parading his pace, endurance and ball-winning ability.

Victorian recruit Phil Moimoi has also come to notice for the Swans, as a half-forward with a nose for the goals.

“He’s a very exciting player, has got real X-factor,’’ Swannies coach Damian Truslove said of the nephew of rugby league cult figure Fuifui Moimoi.

Midfielder Hugo Bromell’s move from Footscray to Coburg has brought him more opportunity and greater attention.

Lions coach Jamie Cassidy-McNamara thinks he’s a player worth tracking.

“He’s a big mid who is clean and powerful in the contest,’’ he said.

“He’s still young, with a lot of growth in his game.’’

Geelong coach Mark Corrigan believes Tobyn Murray is one player “potentially bouncing around the mark’’. A midfielder with Geelong Falcons, he’s been playing at half-forward with the VFL Cats and kicked four goals from eight touches against Box Hill Hawks in Round 2.

“I think he’s on the radar,’’ Corrigan said. “Whether he’s done enough, I’m not sure. But there’s a bit there with him. He’s got a great tank, he’s tough, loves the contest.’’

Young Port Melbourne ruckman Felix Flockart continues to interest recruiters, according to coach Adam Skrobalak.

“He’s put together a fair body of work so far,’’ he said of the former Sandringham Dragon, who is averaging 13.6 disposals and 27.3 disposals this season.

“He’s been competitive in the ruck, he’s marking the ball around the ground and when he goes forward, he kicks a goal or two.’’

Skrobalak will not lift an eyebrow if a club swoops on his former Saint Dan McKenzie, whose absence last Friday night prompted five clubs to message Port.

Footscray’s ex-Magpie Trent Bianco is another former AFL player trying to win a second chance via the VFL. Three goals and 26 disposals against Willy in Round 4 served as a reminder of his ability.

SURPRISE NAMES IN MID-SEASON MIX​

FORMER Essendon, Greater Western Sydney and Carlton ruckman Andrew Phillips and ex-Tigers midfielder Riley Collier-Dawkins have emerged as surprise contenders for the mid-season rookie draft later this month.

Collier-Dawkins was delisted by the Tigers after 11 games across four years back in 2022 and then struggled last season when he shifted into the SANFL at Woodville West-Torrens.

However, the 24-year-old moved to Williamstown this year and has put his name back on the radar of AFL clubs having averaged 24.1 disposals, 6.3 clearances and five tackles per game at the Seagulls.

FORMER Essendon, Greater Western Sydney and Carlton ruckman Andrew Phillips and ex-Tigers midfielder Riley Collier-Dawkins have emerged as surprise contenders for the mid-season rookie draft later this month.

Collier-Dawkins was delisted by the Tigers after 11 games across four years back in 2022 and then struggled last season when he shifted into the SANFL at Woodville West-Torrens.

However, the 24-year-old moved to Williamstown this year and has put his name back on the radar of AFL clubs having averaged 24.1 disposals, 6.3 clearances and five tackles per game at the Seagulls.
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

RCD homecoming hero...

2019 there were 13 players taken. Only 4 of those have played any significant amount of AFL games.
M Pickett, J Noble, R Gardner, W Snelling

2020 no MSD

2021 22 players were taken. Of those 10, 11 or 12 have played a significant amount of AFL games, depending what you define as significant.
J Newcombe, A Johnson, P Parnell, N Moyle, J Peatling, S Durham, M Parker, J McEntee, J Boyd, C Sharman, D Turner

2022 17
players were taken. Of those probably 7 have played significant games or shown decent promise.
J Culley, K Dawson, M D'Ambrosio, J Carmichael, J Bauer, J Menzie, J Blanck

just 13 players were taken. Of those the following have shown some promise, but still early days: R Maric, M Coulthard, J Trezise.

So we can see in 2021 there was a lot taken after all the COVID lockdowns. We were a bit stiff to be higher on the ladder than where we finished the season, otherwise we get Durham almost for certain. But there were still decent players taken after our pick.

In all 3 other msd's we can see you are probably looking at 2-3 x 100 game players at best.

Overall by far the best so far have been M Pickett, J Newcombe, S Durham, but Boyd, McEntee, Noble, Peatling, D'Ambrosio have either held down a best 22 position for an extended period or look well capable of doing so. And there are some other promising guys.

I would assume we will be looking at 2-3 players in the 19-23yo age range and unless there is someone available who just appeals as a really good player, we will be looking at guys with possible upside that the club can effectively trial for half a season and unload if they don't look like making the grade. With pick 2 just about sewn up there might be a chance of getting a ready made player, but otherwise I would think the club will be very speculative with these picks.
I don’t see any reason to chase a ready made player. I mean what are we hoping for 9th spot on the ladder.

I don’t see any reason to chase a ready made player. I mean what are we hoping for 9th spot on the ladder.

The only thing is you take a good footballer any way you can get it and if that good footballer comes ready to play, no problemo. But I get what you are saying, if you thought of 2 choices one player was better now but the other is likely to be bette in 2-3 years you take the latter at this stage.

The only thing is you take a good footballer any way you can get it and if that good footballer comes ready to play, no problemo. But I get what you are saying, if you thought of 2 choices one player was better now but the other is likely to be bette in 2-3 years you take the latter at this stage.

I like the option of a speculative pick that you trial for 6 months and make the call. You have players picked all through the draft who never make it and that end up getting 2+ years on the list and achieving nothing. Atleast with these MSD guys you are looking more at immediate benefits rather than plucking someone from obscurity because the clubs rates them highly (Conca).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RCD did not see eye to eye with Dimma. I was shocked he was delisted ahead some of the others. Hope he gets another chance somewhere..
Watching RCD play Tigers VFL he was clearly ahead of Dow his last season ...

Was completely surprised at the time when we cut him and not Dow.

Funny thing is he has the speed our midfield is lacking

Maybe the people that drove the decision to cut him are no longer at the club?

Watching RCD play Tigers VFL he was clearly ahead of Dow his last season ...

Was completely surprised at the time when we cut him and not Dow.

Funny thing is he has the speed our midfield is lacking

Maybe the people that drove the decision to cut him are no longer at the club?
RCD was a list clogger and the club was fully justified cutting him. Dow was still an unknown talent at that time.

From what I've seen of him at Willy he looks bigger and stronger now. Actually went out and took his footy a lot more seriously when he was delisted. Was a real shame when we delisted him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back