Midfield is still more of a problem than the forward line...

Remove this Banner Ad

So does this mean the Pav will win our B&F again this year by default?

You'd think Ballantyne would step up and figure in there somewhere but he's been really carp lately. Lyon would not be happy with him at all.

Other than Pav, Pearce and Mzungu would be the next to consider so far.

Our spread around stoppages is too condensed, ball comes out and off go the opposition. GC ripped us on it.

This was particularly noticeable against Carlton too. They were far more disciplined at spreading and not getting sucked into the packs, then whipping down the ground with ease once they got it outside.

Guess it's taking Stone longer to work his magic than I was hoping.

This was particularly noticeable against Carlton too. They were far more disciplined at spreading and not getting sucked into the packs, then whipping down the ground with ease once they got it outside.

Guess it's taking Stone longer to work his magic than I was hoping.

This could be another of those things that need to be trained into our mids, as quite a few of them have been brought into the rotation on ball from other parts of the field (i.e. they haven't been inside mids or onballers from juniors).

One thing I have noticed in watching replays of our matches, is the numbers around the ruckman at stoppages.

I don't know what the magic number or positions are but we seem to have our players so close together and all the handballs are going 1-2 meters to flat footed players in comparable positions.

Barlow seems to be the only one capable of a 'clearing handball' that puts the ball in front of a team mate that can break away from the pack. I have seen him pull off a few blind or looping handballs that have got things spreading well. Fyfe is the only other player who has that ability and it sucks not to have him out there now.

Gold coast seemed to play a rugby style line with lateral handballs to outside players like Bennel to break the lines, worked really well for them.

Stone needs to work on getting the guys playing the ball into advantageous positions more. So many times we won the tap, down to Clancee, dishes of to Mzungu, hand ball back to Clancee and then have to throw it onto the boot as the opposition has closed in and shut down passing options.

Pav looks great on ball as he has the experience knowing where to go and run. Has lifted us around 10-15% when he's at the foot of Griff/211.

I agree, the positioning of all the midfielders is too compact. Sure we need a few in there but the rest should spread around the stoppage/bounce and back about 1-2 meters.

The Eagles were positioned expertly in this fashion against the Roos, with blind handballs shot over the top to an 'area' where there was an Eagle ready to go. It looked simply like N,S,W,E relative to the stoppage/bounce. How hard can it be?

I agree, the positioning of all the midfielders is too compact. Sure we need a few in there but the rest should spread around the stoppage/bounce and back about 1-2 meters.

The Eagles were positioned expertly in this fashion against the Roos, with blind handballs shot over the top to an 'area' where there was an Eagle ready to go. It looked simply like N,S,W,E relative to the stoppage/bounce. How hard can it be?

I don't have Foxtel and get to watch those analysis shows like 360 etc, but I would love to see our stoppage work analysed to show what we are doing wrong and what we should be doing, and show positioning on the best clearance teams in the comp.
I'd hate to admit it but the Eagles seem to be very good at it.

I'm sure Ross and Stoney are all over this and it will just take time. Once we have 4-5 more games to gel and work on this we should see some great spread.

I think Sirengate needs to work his spread in his avatar too ;)

You'd think Ballantyne would step up and figure in there somewhere but he's been really carp lately. Lyon would not be happy with him at all.

Other than Pav, Pearce and Mzungu would be the next to consider so far.

Yeah, Ballas is a bit of nowhere at the moment. Not kicking goals down forward, not doing much in the midfield.

I think we are also lacking a bit of leadership in the midfield. We really miss Fyfe´s drive and desperation around the packs.

I don't have Foxtel and get to watch those analysis shows like 360 etc, but I would love to see our stoppage work analysed to show what we are doing wrong and what we should be doing, and show positioning on the best clearance teams in the comp.

It wasn't about us specifically but they just had an interesting snippet on Footy Classified showing Melbourne having this same problem.

Great footage showing two young Dees starting side by side with their opponents but gradually getting sucked towards the pack while the experienced Geelong boys held their space.

Lo and behold the ball came out and the two Cats combined for an easy run down the field.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we haven't got the smartest group of players going around.

It'll take Stone, Sumich and Lyon a fair while to re-train these guys.

We seem to have a lot of posters with their heads in the clouds (or elsewhere)

Between the drop Dawson for Silvagni calls, and the 'Morabito will add a lot when he's back' seriously... any realists around here at all?

How can a player who was *just* getting into touch and showing potential when taken down with an LTI have such high expectations on return? We have Barlow out there showing it's a long road back and people expect Mora to have any sort of impact? Even Mundy is struggling for touch atm ...

Its simple, too many of them are going in for the ball or their spacing is not wide enough around the stoppage. Simple head count should do the trick, no more than 2 players should be on the ball, otherwise spread around the stoppage.

I think our players have in the past have been drilled that they must go get the ball at all costs that they aren't thinking about being in a position to receive it...

Take Hill for example, he's completely changed (for the better) but he should be spread and moving around the stoppage if he's not the one on the ball instead of jumping into the fray or getting too close to it..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trouble with some supporters is because Ross Lyon and Mark Stone are great coaches they are expecting improvement to the team to instantly happen. There is no quick fix to our midfield or to the team. This season is about adaptation, learning and perfecting the game plan.

Simply put - Our Midfield is severly underdone atm and we are still competitive. Mundy, Barlow, Fyfe, Hill, Moro, Gu and Sandilands havn't all played in the same team for over 18 months and yet we sit 4-2 and have been competitive in all of our games.

I still think we can impact finals and scare some teams when our mids find some form. BUT this year is about getting everyone on the same page, playing Ross Lyon footy and getting confidence in each other and the game plan.

IT WILL ALL COME TOGETHER!!! It just takes a lot of time, practice and a fit squad.

Agreed and I think everyone knows it. I guess IMO some of the glaring things are pretty obvious and you'd think our midfielders would be able to adjust if not in their own play but to what the opposition is doing.

We seem to have a lot of posters with their heads in the clouds (or elsewhere)

Between the drop Dawson for Silvagni calls, and the 'Morabito will add a lot when he's back' seriously... any realists around here at all?

How can a player who was *just* getting into touch and showing potential when taken down with an LTI have such high expectations on return? We have Barlow out there showing it's a long road back and people expect Mora to have any sort of impact? Even Mundy is struggling for touch atm ...

Haha, You didn't see many games in 2010 did you? And you obviously missed Mora's game a few weeks back too.

Watch a few games Arcassius and you'll understand ;)

I watched 2010 and all I saw was a kid with a lot of potential finding his feet and showing glimpses of promise.

The way some people are talking it's like he had a Fyfe 2011 year.

Haha, You didn't see many games in 2010 did you? And you obviously missed Mora's game a few weeks back too.

Watch a few games Arcassius and you'll understand ;)

Sorry are you getting overexcited over potential? Send Barlow or Mundy to the WAFL Reserves for a while and see how they go ... My *problem* is people building up expectations of him making a big difference to our midfield sooner rather than later.

Sure he has lots of potential - but it's a long road yet. Were you impressed with how Barlow has returned to the form he *showed* in 2010 so far this season? Or are you disappointed with the reality - that getting back to that sort of level will take time, *if* it ever happens.

Including Mora in a list of midfielders who will make a difference this year is a stretch - bit like including Fyfe right now.

Given the team has been competitive and could have beaten Carlton and Sydney if not for wayward kicking and a crap second quarter. I have this sneaking suspiscion that if the team can just sort out a couple of issues, eg midfield and forward structure, with the numbers of injuries to other teams we could actually do a bradbury this year.

Were almost through the worst part of the draw and have a relatively easy run home after the bye.

But midfield and forward structure issues are of course just trifling matters and I'm overly optimistic :rolleyes:

People still focusing mostly on the forward line after the weekend. If you didn´t notice our midfield was abysmal.

No leadership in there at all. Really missing Fyfe. Ball use terrible. Clearances shocking. Pressure on opposition embarrassing.

Can´t wait for Neale and Sheridan to develop.

People still focusing mostly on the forward line after the weekend. If you didn´t notice our midfield was abysmal.

No leadership in there at all. Really missing Fyfe. Ball use terrible. Clearances shocking. Pressure on opposition embarrassing.

Can´t wait for Neale and Sheridan to develop.

I feel sorry for both our defence and forwardline.

Mundy and Barlow both look completely out of sorts. Mundy is a real worry

We may need to throw a Broughton in the middle permanently. When he played there last year he consistently had big numbers, which we can't expect from Mundy and Barlow.

I feel sorry for both our defence and forwardline.

Mundy and Barlow both look completely out of sorts. Mundy is a real worry

We may need to throw a Broughton in the middle permanently. When he played there last year he consistently had big numbers, which we can't expect from Mundy and Barlow.

I think your right LC. Put mundy back to the HBF for a month or so.I reckon Barlow in the second half showed some positive signs of growing some confidence.I wonder if lower will get a run this week? I know he's not the greatest AFL player,but I reckon his style(fearless attack on ball and opponent) will suit Lyon's set up.

Our midfield stinks at the moment. Where is the run and carry, where are the clearances?

Where are the rovers who read Sandi and Clarke's taps well?

The answer seems very basic to me.

Why is Ross Lyon trying to turn small forwards into mid fielders?

Kim Hagdorn said yesterday that Ross Lyon is a dictator down there and what he says goes.

So it is Ross's way or the highway it seems.

If this is the case I hope Ross wakes up and smells the coffee brewing soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Midfield is still more of a problem than the forward line...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back