Mike Sheahan retires

Remove this Banner Ad

For years I thought he was a Swans supporter, he attends and talks at Swans functions and is highly respected.
He is always a gentleman, ok I have never agreed with his top 50 but I doubt I would agree with anyone..
Some ask "who is he to judge anyway?", well he is a student of the game and is as qualified as anyone..
He held one of the biggest offices for one of the largest newspaper companies in Australia he must have done something right..
As much as I didnt always agree with everything he wrote, I read it and it always provoked my thoughts and opinions, thats what he was supposed to do and he did it well..
Enjoy walking the beach and watching the sunset in Sorrento Mike, great innings...:thumbsu:

My only real problem with Mike was that he never bothered to come West for a game and therein lies his biggest fault for me. He wasn't really interested in footy outside the Victorian clubs.

This would be fine for most people but as the Head of a footy media department I thought he should do more than that.

His argument to me in an email was that TV was fine (which was stupid) but also that he wrote for a Victorian paper, not a WA or SA paper. This has some merit I guess.

Either way, he's a level above most guys and the Robbo/Hutchy/Caro types can't even see him he's that far ahead of them.

I always found Mike in media forthright with his opinion and prepared to debate and back them up in sometimes hostile circumstances and not in a sensationalist way. I contrast this directly with Caroline Wilson (sensationalist) and Mark Robinson (ill considered) in terms of contemporaries. Rather have that than someone looking for a reaction which is what we get with those two and others.

I particularly remember his distaste at 3AW talking about the Rex Hunt marriage issues on air which I think underscores his approach.

Not brilliant by any stretch, but fairly honest and willing to defend his views intelligently.

Maybe Rohan Connolly should be his take out given his approach, however his propensity to disuss Essendon over all others would be my concern.

Good decision to 'retire'. Poor Mike lost touch with the football community and relied on controversial comments to attract readers. The football public prefer and respect comments that provide insight into the game.

So what did Sheehan say about Fitzroy?

In the early 90's, around Xmas every year, he would write gutter articles about Fitzroy ie "Fitzroy can't pay it's players" or "No Xmas for Fitzroy players this year". It's was all about destabilising the club & deterring any potential White Knights coming to the Roy's rescue.

He was the perfect foil for Ross "Up Yours" Oakley as they tried to evict the Roys from the AFL. I'm positive that he was privy to sensitive information from the AFL at the time Re: Fitzroy's precarious position. It would always appear on the back page of the Hun.

Dyson Hore-Lacy was adamant sensitive information about Fitzroy was being leaked to Mike Sheahan from the AFL commission and he thought he knew who. For legal reasons (and lack of definite proof) he's never named those responsible publicly.

Its fair to say i've never seen a positive article from him RE: Fitzroy bar about 12 months ago him coming out about saying he regrets his actions. pfft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Occupied the middle ground on most subjects, while making observations on either side of the divide. But that's pretty much the job of a chief footy writer these days; there's more than enough journo's trying to make a name from edgy opinions. More annoying for me has been his general reluctance to give the AFL a whack when it's warranted, which is often IMO.

Occupied the middle ground on most subjects, while making observations on either side of the divide. But that's pretty much the job of a chief footy writer these days; there's more than enough journo's trying to make a name from edgy opinions. More annoying for me has been his general reluctance to give the AFL a whack when it's warranted, which is often IMO.

Being VFL Media Director for a time, it would have been harder for him to criticise what is inside the inner sanctum, simply because he'd been part of it himself for a while. there would be still people working inside the AFL from the time that he was working there - it would have been out of respect that he didn't step on toes.

Lost all respect from me after a 4-0 start he proclaimed the 'cracks were appearing'. I loved how Robbo continually mentioned it to Mike during the season
Boo hoo :( So he got one wrong. B f deal ! Couldnt count the number of your own supporters on here that said Geelong were gone and couldnt win the flag when the Swans upset you at Skilled late in the season. As for that Bufoon Robinson having a crack at him about the article, Please give us a spell !!! Robbo is a try hard lout who would not Know sh## from clay.:eek:

Summed his work up perfectly.

I never got anything out of reading his articles.

Haha, yes!

^^^^ Should've included his reliable habit of completely back flipping on topics.

I won't be happy until the tool retires totally and I don't have to put up with his poor biased journalism in any way.

He has had an axe to grind against my team for years and embarrassed himself terribly with his criticism of the Eagles and Worsfold over the past couple of years. When Woosha went On the Couch late last season Jerard Healy started the interview with a mini appology by him and Sheahan mumbled an appology under his breath before hurridly getting the interview underway.

Loved Worsfolds response, shrugged his shoulders, gave them the smiling assasin smile and said "You guys are paid to write something".:D

Sheahan is an over rated dinosaur.

Boo hoo :( So he got one wrong. B f deal ! Couldnt count the number of your own supporters on here that said Geelong were gone and couldnt win the flag when the Swans upset you at Skilled late in the season. As for that Bufoon Robinson having a crack at him about the article, Please give us a spell !!! Robbo is a try hard lout who would not Know sh## from clay.:eek:

Bit like your good self by the sound of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike Sheahan retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back