Mike Sheahan's top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

We have three of our players on Mike Sheahan's Top 50 list -

13 - Adam Cooney
23 - Dale Morris
42 - Ryan Griffen

Here is the link to the TOP 50

I would have thought Cooney would be placed a little higher than 13th and suprisingly he couldn't find a spot for Gilbee.

Yeah, there's some favoritism, Gibbs ahead of Cross or Gilbee?

Maybe in a couple of years, but not yet.

Tough list to put together though, and 3 players is about what every club would expect to have a least - hopefully a couple more by the end of the year to be a threat for the flag.

I know it is just his opinion, but really how does Thomas get in there ahead of Bobby Murphy. Gibbs is not yet at the level of Cross and I would also rate Lake at least on par with Darren Glass (21). Grant Birchall is a fair player, but surely Gilbee is better.

He does base this on what he expects, so his end of season is vastly different. That is when we want the Doggies to feature.

Cross, Gilbee, Lake and Murphy all very stiff.

But as said it is only one mans opinion, and you simply cant squeeze all the players you would like to into a top 50.

Glad to see that the glove is starting to get some recognition though.

let him have his silly little list:rolleyes:

he always gets it wrong as the season goes on anyway

cheers

The big mistake IMO was his omission of Gilbee. Cross could have got in there as well but definately Gilbee.

Players that Gilbee should have replaced are:

Gibbs - How he got in there I will never know
Goddard
J Mc Veigh - Had an excellent season last year but is he as good as Gilbee?
R Okeefe

Was Cooney on last years list?

No Cooney wasn't on his 2008 pre-season list & according to Sheahan - Cooney was unlucky to miss out on last years list.

He bases his selections on the following criteria...

My pre-season top 50 comprises those I expect to have the greatest impact in the coming season. Selections are based on exposed form, coupled with anticipated improvement. The list excludes players under a cloud because of injury.

Johnson, Murphy & Gilbee made the cut last season.

Here is his Top 50 (2008) - 2008 Sheahan's Pre-Season Top 50 List

Cross very very unlucky, particularly considering Dale Thomas made it. Gilbee and maybe Lake should be there too
True Cross was unlucky and so was Gilbee
um i dont think Dale Thomas made it.......or i might be wrong
also Birchall, Gibbs, Rioli bad choices
how is a reigning brownlow medalist only 13th?? puzzles me

True Cross was unlucky and so was Gilbee
um i dont think Dale Thomas made it.......or i might be wrong
also Birchall, Gibbs, Rioli bad choices
how is a reigning brownlow medalist only 13th?? puzzles me

So where would you have the bloke who was deemed to be the best in the AFL in 2008 by the umpires...the same blokes we scream abuse at each weekend for their ineptitude? Personally I think 13 is about right for Cooney at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^^^^ Johnno's not top 50 any more, fair enough. He's near the end of a super career

Birchall ahead of Gilbee? Didak ahead of Murphy? Oh well, it's Mike's opinion, there are no rights or worngs with opinions and it is always going to raise eyebrows. 16 teams, 50 spots, 3 per team, with teams like Hawthorn and Geelong probably having more than 3 and teams like Freo and Melbourne having less than 3.

^^^^ Johnno's not top 50 any more, fair enough. He's near the end of a super career

Birchall ahead of Gilbee? Didak ahead of Murphy? Oh well, it's Mike's opinion, there are no rights or worngs with opinions and it is always going to raise eyebrows. 16 teams, 50 spots, 3 per team, with teams like Hawthorn and Geelong probably having more than 3 and teams like Freo and Melbourne having less than 3.

Agree, but where dose 50 goals and 20 touches a game get you? hard to know where Johno is.

Lake imo is a bit stiff where was Glass? 21? wasn't he injured for most of last year?

As for Cooney 13 is about right, Ablett is a freak and most of the rest of the top 10 are all KPP isn't Judd and Hodge the only other mids in the top 10?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike Sheahan's top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back