Milne charged

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd

Does the club have to stand him down because of this?

Edit: This is a really sensative issue I know, I don't mean to be flippant considering the gravity of the situation. Obviously there are greater issues in life than football, but the point I was trying to make is that St Kilda have made a precedent with the whole Lovett-Murray mess. I was coming more from the club'a angle, do they have stand him down until this is finalised one way or the other? Could spell the end for his carreer now.

Disappointing, but i'll wait until we hear more.

Yeah, same. Clearly there was a stench around evidence handling (or at least the way the investigation was processed), but I'm not sure that equates to guilt. Victoria Police "It is now important that the defendant in this matter be afforded the same procedural fairness any other member of the community would expect in these circumstances."

My money: chances of a conviction are almost zero- I'm sure Baldur will agree. It's utter bastardry that they're putting him through this, it'll die in committal but the innuendo will of course continue and Milney will be hounded out of footy.

Hypothetical:

If Milne was a younger player & jailed for 4 years stemming from this incident, would Andrew Demetriou come out in the media the same way he's done for Andrew Krakouer & Liam Jurrah stating "we would welcome him back to the AFL"?

Now, I'm waiting to see how the Club & the AFL go about this matter...

WTF? Why has this suddenly been dug up again?

Seems like a coincidence this happens just after Milne has spoken out about the abuse he cops, mainly from Collingwood supporters.

All the idiots here will have a field day with this whether he's innocent or not.

My money: chances of a conviction are almost zero- I'm sure Baldur will agree. It's utter bastardry that they're putting him through this, it'll die in committal but the innuendo will of course continue and Milney will be hounded out of footy.

Agree (unfortunately). A real shame as the guy loves footy, and from memory wants to stay involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hypothetical:

If Milne was a younger player & jailed for 4 years stemming from this incident, would Andrew Demetriou come out in the media the same way he's done for Andrew Krakouer & Liam Jurrah stating "we would welcome him back to the AFL"?

Now, I'm waiting to see how the Club & the AFL go about this matter...

Rape is a bit more of a sensitive issue than assault in many eyes. I hope theres nothing in the charges. Not just for Stevens sake but for the sake of the girl. Would rather hear about one less rape than one more.

Hope the mods can keep this thread clear of trolls. Reckon this should be Saints only thread.

Didn't they do an investigation into the investigation a couple of years ago and found out it was fine?

Look, this is an issue that is much bigger than the team we support and I hope justice is served, whether that means Milne is innocent or guilty.

The four counts is interesting as well. Did sex occur four times or something? The way Montagna and Milne have stated it definitely sounds like group sex occurred but why only Milne charged?

Didn't they do an investigation into the investigation a couple of years ago and found out it was fine?

Look, this is an issue that is much bigger than the team we support and I hope justice is served, whether that means Milne is innocent or guilty.

Smacks of a witchhunt tbh, I can't recall a charge being laid so long after an incident has occurred and after he was cleared from a previous internal police investigation.

Just seems unnecessary to dig this up again and drag Milne and St Kilda through the mud again when the chance of a conviction are close to zero.

Rape is a bit more of a sensitive issue than assault in many eyes. I hope theres nothing in the charges. Not just for Stevens sake but for the sake of the girl. Would rather hear about one less rape than one more.

I whole-heartedly agree. Rape is a god-awful thing

My post was a hypothetical moreso to see what sort of response comes from the mouth of Andrew Demetriou....

I, for one, think its a disgrace that Vlad even thought of the words "welcome back", let alone actually using them in the context of an open invitation for convicted criminals to come back to playing in the AFL. "Welcome" is the wrong word, he should have just said "we will allow them back under strict conditions"...

As far as i'm concerned, convicted criminals are NOT WELCOME in the AFL full stop!

Will be very interested into what Vlad has to say...

Okay **** it. Before this gets out of hand, I'll offer some preliminary insight:

The internal review leading to charges throws out a whole lot of collateral questions, much of which will be at issue if the matter proceeds, basically the voir dire would be a procedural cluster****. You'd imagine evidence would need to be lead from three sets of coppers minimum, including coppers giving evidence against one another, before anything could be found admissible; the RoI's being stolen, for an abuse of process argument to fall down, to my mind, contamination of the evidence on some level must have occurred. Once contamination is proven, then the problem for the prosecution would be in turning around an arguing that the same evidence is now reliable: the exact extent of any such contamination must be proved down to a tee and fit in a very narrow ambit.

If people like I'm happy to explain some of this more, I've tried to keep it as layman as possible and it's not strictly speaking accurate for having cut some corners to simplify it, but at it's most basic the proposition is:

1. Is the evidence reliable? -> the OPI inquiry would suggest No
2. Is a conviction possible in the absence of that evidence -> Oath on oath, yes but unlikely due to the prosecutorial burden
3. Is Milne able to properly test the allegations on the basis of the corrupted evidence? -> probably not.

And then, of course, the usual rigours of trying a major indictable..

Noting the stance that StKilda took on Andrew Lovett, it would appear that Milne would be sacked regardless wouldnt he?

I understand the innocent until found guilty thing, but pretty sure that didnt help Lovett at the time and the Saints may have set a precendence they really wished they hadnt now.

Certainly difficult situation for all including the alledged victim, but surely Joey Montagna must be nervous also about being dragged in front of the courts.

Terrible news

The way Montagna and Milne have stated it definitely sounds like group sex occurred

Not at all. They have claimed there was a "partner swap". Supposedly one of the 4 people in the house says she didn't intend to be a swinger (thought she was with Montagna instead of Milne).

I whole-heartedly agree. Rape is a god-awful thing

My post was a hypothetical moreso to see what sort of response comes from the mouth of Andrew Demetriou....

I, for one, think its a disgrace that Vlad even thought of the words "welcome back", let alone actually using them in the context of an open invitation for convicted criminals to come back to playing in the AFL. "Welcome" is the wrong word, he should have just said "we will allow them back under strict conditions"...

As far as i'm concerned, convicted criminals are NOT WELCOME in the AFL full stop!

Will be very interested into what Vlad has to say...

I can understand the notion of getting a 'second chance' and everything, honestly you would expect that as long as justice is served then they should be allowed some kind of second chance. It probably depends on the severity of the crime and the life they lead after prison. If they are still violent and committing crimes then absolutely not. If they are rehabilitated and have worked their way back into a state league and get a second chance I can understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back