Missed free kick after siren: changes result of tonight’s game

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol that would’ve been disgusting if they paid that and it decided the game (bad rule). Then again they got a goal from that ridiculous double 50 rule so maybe it would’ve been a form of justice
well it's an extremely obvious rule to have in place to prevent shenanigans on the goal line. It's also written extremely simply, there's no room to excuse it because it didn't impact the goal, so it's quite odd that it's been seen and basically ignored. there's no room for discretion, and if it's deemed umpires should have that discretion, put it in the rules. it's a pretty indefensible decsion, regardless of essendon playing like shit which has nothing to do with it

I don't blame the umpires for not calling it though. That free kick probably has not been given in 20 years and the umpires themselves were probably not 100% sure of the exact rule so they were probably terrified of calling it a 50-metre penalty and definitely 100% changing the result of the game only to find out later that they were wrong.

The rule involves intentions. If the umpire determines that Rampe was only trying to climb the post, not intentionally shake it, then they cannot award a free kick.

Did you watch the footage? Hes launching himself up the post. How is that not going to shake the post? How ludicrous. That's the same logic as saying I didn't mean to punch him, I was just punching the air and he got in the way.

For the record, reckon this is a completely cut-and-dried free kick. The umpire has ****ed up, majorly.

Also though, it’s a missed free kick. That’s all it is. Yes, it changes the result of the game. But personally, I’m not suggesting the result could be appealed or anything like that. It’s just an umpire error.

Did you watch the footage? Hes launching himself up the post. How is that not going to shake the post? How ludicrous. That's the same logic as saying I didn't mean to punch him, I was just punching the air and he got in the way.

No, that's not the same logic. It's up to the umpires interpretation as to what Rampe's objective was. I think it's pretty clear he was trying to get higher to touch the ball on the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the record, reckon this is a completely cut-and-dried free kick. The umpire has ****** up, majorly.

Also though, it’s a missed free kick. That’s all it is. Yes, it changes the result of the game. But personally, I’m not suggesting the result could be appealed or anything like that. It’s just an umpire error.

I am not disagreeing with you, but I also think that it is highly likely the umpires themselves were not as aware of the rule and the consequences of the action as they should have been since it has been so long since that free kick was paid. I mean I can't remember it ever being paid, so it must have been a very long time.

Remember the Tasmanian fiasco? This should be the same
There is no possible way they could award Essendon the win retrospectively short of returning to the SCG - the penalty against Rampe would be a free kick, not a goal.

Sirengate was completely different.

I don't blame the umpires for not calling it though. That free kick probably has not been given in 20 years and the umpires themselves were probably not 100% sure of the exact rule so they were probably terrified of calling it a 50-metre penalty and definitely 100% changing the result of the game only to find out later that they were wrong.

no way this is a thing, these guys are just about the only people in the game who actually read the rules, but the stuff afterwards is exactly what's happened. the kick didn't have a chance so the umpire didn't want to effectively overturn the result of the game, but then he's arguably done that by ignoring the violation anyway.

(unless he truly thought he wasn't shaking the post, but uh...)

No, that's not the same logic. It's up to the umpires interpretation as to what Rampe's objective was. I think it's pretty clear he was trying to get higher to touch the ball on the line.

We've truly lost the plot in our game if reading minds is an essential skill for umpiring.

There is no possible way they could award Essendon the win retrospectively - the penalty against Rampe would be a free kick, not a goal.

Sirengate was completely different.

The kick would be taken from the centre of the GOAL LINE (not the top of the square)
1557497716011.png
No chance the afl will do anything but i am interested in what their response is.

It was the correct decision not to pay a free kick. A free kick should be paid if he was deliberately shaking the post. Dane Rampe had no intention of shaking the post, his intention was to get higher in order to possible spoil a kick nearing that post at the goal line.

Essendon tears are delicious though.

Yep you’re absolutely right. In the meantime any accidental high tackles, pushes in the back shouldn’t be paid as they weren’t deliberate either etc etc.

The anti-essendon nuffies are ironically even worse than the Essendon nuffies.

The rule involves intentions. If the umpire determines that Rampe was only trying to climb the post, not intentionally shake it, then they cannot award a free kick.[/
The rule involves intentions. If the umpire determines that Rampe was only trying to climb the post, not intentionally shake it, then they cannot award a free kick.

As Rampe scales post...

Umpire: “Dane, are you trying to shake the post or just climbing?”
Rampe: “just climbing, I think”
Umpire: “all good”

no way this is a thing, these guys are just about the only people in the game who actually read the rules, but the stuff afterwards is exactly what's happened. the kick didn't have a chance so the umpire didn't want to effectively overturn the result of the game, but then he's arguably done that by ignoring the violation anyway.

(unless he truly thought he wasn't shaking the post, but uh...)

Are you sure though? I mean do you think every police officer knows every law? I mean the AFL rule book is huge, so it is easy to imagine the umpires not knowing a few of the more obscure ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Missed free kick after siren: changes result of tonight’s game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back