Missed free kick after siren: changes result of tonight’s game

Remove this Banner Ad

100% free kick to the Bombers, what else was his intention other than to shake the post and distract the kicker? He did it just before the kick so as Myers looked up before running in for the shot he would see the post shaking.

A question for those saying no free kick- Why did Rampe do it?
Looks pretty clear to me he was trying to get extra height to touch the ball on the line.
Otherwise he could just shake the post like a normal person would.

Stupid, but I don't think intentional.

I think he was climbing up to block a goal.

If his intention was to shake it, why didn’t he just shake it?

Common sense would actually say climbing the post to get an advantage at trying to block a goal should be the one that results in a free kick against not the shaking the post.

Classic rule book by the afl though.

I thought the umpiring was excellent throughout the game.

The warning the umpire gave Rampe was exactly what we want to see. That is common sense officiating. It was dealt with and hence had absolutely no impact on that ‘play’. If Myers was running in and having a shot at goal at the time, well that’s a different story.

But it was while Myers was having a shot at goal. If you see the behind the goals vision, Rampe jumps onto the goal post while Myers is running into goal, and is still hanging on the goal post while the ball is in flight. In that sense I think it probably should have been a free.

Agree that the umpiring was generally good last night.

Did Rampe’s antics magically make the ball drop 20m short of the goal? No one man should have all that power.

Would have been way stupider if they paid the free and handed Essendon the game. Climbing the post had no impact on the game.

Common sense prevails for once.

Last edited:
People are talking a lot about the common sense application of the rule umpire response here. To me, the common sense application would be that Rampe's actions are covered through the rule and that if anything what he did is worse than merely shaking the post.

I just hope a player has the guts to climb the post in another game this weekend and dare the umpire to pay a free kick.

I think he was climbing up to block a goal.

If his intention was to shake it, why didn’t he just shake it?
Looks pretty clear to me he was trying to get extra height to touch the ball on the line.

A lot easier to shake/move a free standing post the higher up you go, it's physics.

Not that Rampe would have a PHD in physics mind you.

I haven't read the whole thread, just came in this morning but is it against the rules to climb the goal post? It bloody well should be if it isn't. Maybe the Swans should have built a pyramid.
1557524839295.png

And most people would probably agree with you. Legally though, one would have to establish that Rampe's intended goal was to shake the post (rather than, e.g., to spoil a ball that was being kicked toward goal)---it wouldn't be sufficient to simply establish that he was aware that the post would shake as a result of his climbing it. So, I think the question becomes, "are the umpires supposed to use a legal or a lay definition of intentionality?"

I think they are required to use the football interpretation or definition, which is neither. Consider deliberate out of bounds, high contact, prior opportunity etc.

Surely its not just upset Essendon fans projecting the failures of their club on something else?

Surely not?
This.

Rampe had intent to climb the post to get a height advantage to touch the ball if needed. He may have inadvertently shaken the post through this action, but his intent was not to shake the post. And really, how much would the post have been shaken if at all through his strange action? Umpire made the correct call.

A lot easier to shake/move a free standing post the higher up you go, it's physics.

I haven't read the whole thread, just came in this morning but is it against the rules to climb the goal post? It bloody well should be if it isn't. Maybe the Swans should have built a pyramid.
View attachment 671326
I made a similar post a few pages back re climbing post, agree with you completely.

I thought climbing the goal post was illegal.

Being the ball dropped about 15-20 metres short I'm not sure you want that decision deciding the game. But had the ball been travelling over the line then yes the free kick should be paid as it has the potential to skew the umpire or even the video umpires decision making.

To me this falls in to the category of off the ball free kicks that have no direct effect on the game. Most people hate them as it has no bearing on what is happening with the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 671326

The pyramid is against the rules.

Climbing the goal post should be as well.

This.

Rampe had intent to climb the post to get a height advantage to touch the ball if needed. He may have inadvertently shaken the post through this action, but his intent was not to shake the post. And really, how much would the post have been shaken if at all through his strange action? Umpire made the correct call.
lol he's on the post trying to climb up it like a monkey. He does multiple actions that contribute to the goal posts being shaken. He may as well have been on the ground shaking it.

For the record, reckon this is a completely cut-and-dried free kick. The umpire has ****** up, majorly.

Also though, it’s a missed free kick. That’s all it is. Yes, it changes the result of the game. But personally, I’m not suggesting the result could be appealed or anything like that. It’s just an umpire error.

It's a terrible look to the AFL as it is clearly wrong and if it was adjudicated correctly Essendon would have won the game. There are too many 'Umpire errors' for my liking and this has cost the club I hate the most a win. Essendon should have won tonight with a free kick on the line after the siren.

Pressure should come down onto the amateur level umpiring fraternity. We have a gazillion umpires and TV(low quality that it is) cameras following the game. This should not have been missed.

I'd be mad as hell if it was my team.

You just know some dick in 1904 grabbed the little weedy posts they used back then and shook it like buggery while the oppo was lining up for goal, and everyone was like, "George, knock it off," and George was all, "I'm allowed to do it, it's not in the rules."
Reminds me of one of my favourite Tassie football story!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Tasmanian_State_Premiership_Final

The 1967 Tasmanian State Premiership Final (colloquially known as the Goalpost Final) was... declared no result and the premiership was withheld after fans invaded the field and eventually took down the goal posts, preventing North Hobart full-forward David Collins from taking a kick after the siren which would likely have won or tied the game for the Robins.

Did Rampe’s antics magically make the ball drop 20m short of the goal? No one man should have all that power.

Would have been way stupider if they paid the free and handed Essendon the game. Climbing the post had no impact on the game.

Common sense prevails for once.

That's like saying charles manson had no effect on the cold war.

Free kick Essendon. And I detest myself for saying that.

The rule involves intentions. If the umpire determines that Rampe was only trying to climb the post, not intentionally shake it, then they cannot award a free kick.
And how can they be expected to work that out in the moment? Seriously? It’s a football game, not the Supreme Court.

How many blokes have you seen climbing up a goal post? And anyway, what was he trying to achieve? Gain extra height to intercept the ball? Put off the kicker?

Free kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Missed free kick after siren: changes result of tonight’s game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back