News Mitch Cleary stood down indefinitely - AFL have really stepped in it this time

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.afl.com.au/news/480320
Listen to first 4 mins, Mitch is speaking today.
Absolute storm in a tea cup, he’s back at work. Might as well change the thread title

And he's only there because of the backlash... Don't think it makes no sense at all?? Get stood down for breeching a memo no one can show, that was in place to protect the privacy of someone who had already breeched their own and had other media members double down?

So he was 'stood down' for a day while a simple 'investigation' was taking place?

wat?

'Oi Mitch, you posted her name on your twitter, you're not meant to do that, take it down'.

'Oh yeah, righto, sorry about that'.

'All good, just don't do it again'.

What am I missing here?

My theory: stood down for other reasons

Oh shit, we're copping some heat here, we can't do that

Ah yep, investigation concluded

Barrett way too defensive on Sounding Board, should've just conceded they might have done things differently. By going at Watson just comes across as a little b*tch. This is gonna stick round his neck whenever he next goes at a club. You didn't even stick up for your mate/AFL stooge etc
Damo was Cleary’s mentor of sorts as Cleary started out in the media too, so thought he may stand up for him more

Are the Richmond football club the softest sporting club in Australia? Didn't want to go into a hub, their captain throws a fit and blames everyone but his wife for her mistakes - attempting to get someone sacked, Dimma sooks it up at Longmire.

How precious are they? Jesus wept, they need to act like adults instead of complaining children.
Who was the first club to whinge via Adam Simpson that they wanted to go home? Anyway you poor little tackers a home again, don’t know your home ground advantage will carry much weight this year, and your QLD form is crap. GF at Gabba, more Vic Bias?

Haha go Timmy

“I can tell you what’s going to happen today — Damian Barrett won’t stand for this. He works for the AFL Media as well. I’d expect that he’ll stand down and all the other people that work alongside Mitch Cleary will stand down in support of him today. That would be the least that they could do,” Watson said.

“If they’re fair dinkum about not being censored in any way and they’re fair dinkum about their trade as journalists, then they’ve got to stand up for their man at the AFL.”

valid point. Many on social media going the #standbymitch etc. But in the end, they wont stand down with mitch

That is absolute gold from Tim Watson, well done and well said. More journalistic integrity in Tim Watson than D Barrett could hope to achieve in all his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shame, don’t mind Cleary. Seems pretty balanced from what I’ve seen of him

Hope someone picks him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFL diehards will roll their eyes at Grant Thomas being wheeled out among the critics but where this will really hurt HQ is their perception in Canberra. The amount of time and effort the AFL puts into lobbying for federal money, this sort of scrutiny will hurt the perception of the game with politicians. Given it was and has always been predominantly News Ltd leading the attack on AFL dot com as a media outlet, it speaks to the severity of the balls up that Media Watch would so thoroughly rinse the AFL and either unintentionally or genuinely take News Ltd’s side of critiquing dot com’s “independence”.

Wonder if the AFL thinks it was worth it?!

Remove this Banner Ad

News Mitch Cleary stood down indefinitely - AFL have really stepped in it this time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back