Does Geelong have the worst midfield in the AFL?

Does geelong have the worst midfield in the AFL??

• Yes

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 44 49.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The team today is a lot better than the ones we had 2015-2020.
Kersten, Ruggles, Caddy, Motlop, Murdoch, Cowan, Horlin-Smith, Thurlow and then a batch of older players who were well and truly cooked like Taylor (could barely run in his final two years), Dahlhaus, Menzel (a shadow of the player he once was), Ablett (cooked), Parfitt.

Henderson, Kelly, Menegola were excellent players and would slot in immediately.

If you look at the statistics:

4th in contested possessions
6th for inside fifties
3rd for centre clearances
6th for stoppage clearances
5th in total clearances
11th in hitouts

We aren't as bad as people think. We just don't have any young superstars accumulating 30 disposals every week. This is what makes Geelong one of the most dangerous teams to play in the finals.

Finals is a different game. Geelong have the worst midfield of all the current finalist. You’ll essentially have to win games whilst mostly likely getting beaten in the midfield and playing interstate. Hard ask but let’s see how you go. Bit early for this “water into wine” talk. If you go out in straight sets you’ll be ridiculed and cliff talk will pop it’s head up again.

Finals is a different game. Geelong have the worst midfield of all the current finalist. You’ll essentially have to win games whilst mostly likely getting beaten in the midfield and playing interstate. Hard ask but let’s see how you go. Bit early for this “water into wine” talk. If you go out in straight sets you’ll be ridiculed and cliff talk will pop it’s head up again.
You'd probably be surprised to learn that since round 16 against Essendon, Geelong's starting midfield/wingmen have collected 78 coaches votes in 8 games.

Round 1-15 they picked up just 46 coaches votes.

1.7x as many votes in half as many games.

It's been a much more productive mix since it has regularly involved Dangerfield, Stewart and Bowes playing together. Atkins form has improved. Blicavs is more of a relief ruck than a midfielder. Bruhn, when fit, adds a bit. At times in the middle of the year it was Parfitt, Clark, Cam Guthrie and Blicavs as the main midfield rotation. That was pretty dire.

'Finals is a different game' your mob featured briefly in September during a 5-6 year span. Were nowhere to be seen before, and one suspects no where to be seen after.

You were dead wrong about Geelong heading into the 2024 season. In what world would I entertain your opinion on football given how poor of a judge you are.

Lots of victory laps for a team that ended up with the 6th best percentage, boosted by a uniquely good home ground advantage ... really?

Weird reply. There were only 2 recent posts when you wrote this and neither look like "victory laps".

Interestingly Geelong has gone 9-5 away from its unique home ground where finals won't be played. The Dogs have gone 4-5 away from their unique home grounds (Docklands and Ballarat) where finals won't be played. Puts a slightly different spin on this "uniquely good home ground advantage" Geelong supposedly has.

The team today is a lot better than the ones we had 2015-2020.
Kersten, Ruggles, Caddy, Motlop, Murdoch, Cowan, Horlin-Smith, Thurlow and then a batch of older players who were well and truly cooked like Taylor (could barely run in his final two years), Dahlhaus, Menzel (a shadow of the player he once was), Ablett (cooked), Parfitt.

Henderson, Kelly, Menegola were excellent players and would slot in immediately.
I can't say I spend much time evaluating statistics. I know we were a worry in 2015 and yes there are some dire names you've mentioned but some of the names we have today are more cooked than Ablett was in 2020. I can think of four absolutely embarrassing non-competitive games this season and that seems more akin to 2003 and 1999 rather than the years you mentioned. Just going with my biggest strength...my gut ha ha. Hope I'm wrong of course hey.

Considering so many people were talking bottom 6 for us in 2024, having them now "ridicule" us for finishing Top 6 instead would be a bit silly....

'Finals is a different game' your mob featured briefly in September during a 5-6 year span. Were nowhere to be seen before, and one suspects no where to be seen after.

You were dead wrong about Geelong heading into the 2024 season. In what world would I entertain your opinion on football given how poor of a judge you are.

I was, and now I’m gonna be dead right when you get bundled out of finals. Enjoy the losses, can’t believe I get to see Geelong lose 2 finals in one season again 🥳

If you look at the statistics:

4th in contested possessions
6th for inside fifties
3rd for centre clearances
6th for stoppage clearances
5th in total clearances
11th in hitouts

We aren't as bad as people think. We just don't have any young superstars accumulating 30 disposals every week. This is what makes Geelong one of the most dangerous teams to play in the finals.
Our midfield isn't great on paper, but it works very well as a unit and that's because of Chris Scott.

How do you think Fagan, Voss or Hinkley would go if they had to work with a midfield like ours?
All of those coaches rely heavily on individual star power in the midfield.
Shut down that star power and they struggle to come up with a Plan B.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was, and now I’m gonna be dead right when you get bundled out of finals. Enjoy the losses, can’t believe I get to see Geelong lose 2 finals in one season again 🥳

Your team just won the wooden spoon and you are "enjoying" Geelong's impending finals losses. That doesn't strike you as a bit sad?

Your team just won the wooden spoon and you are "enjoying" Geelong's impending finals losses. That doesn't strike you as a bit sad?
Makes Falcon Cleansweep17 feel good.

Fact is if Cats lose tomorrow and/or get bundled out in straight sets nobody will say "Underperformed". That we have got to the 16th finals campaign in 18 years is remarkable. It should never have happened. What's even more remarkable is that those 16 finals campaigns are bookended by Richmond wooden spoons (2007 and 2024).

Definitely not the worst but nowhere near the best.

That being said they did bully our young midfield when we played them in Geelong. What they lack in skill and speed they make up for in physicality which becomes all too important in the pointy end.

I'm getting a bit of a 2018 Hawthorn vibe from Geelong this season.

Finals is a different game. Geelong have the worst midfield of all the current finalist. You’ll essentially have to win games whilst mostly likely getting beaten in the midfield and playing interstate. Hard ask but let’s see how you go. Bit early for this “water into wine” talk. If you go out in straight sets you’ll be ridiculed and cliff talk will pop its head up again.
lol. Why would we be ridiculed? We have over achieved just making the 8 with such an ordinary midfield. Admirable actually.

lol. Why would we be ridiculed? We have over achieved just making the 8 with such an ordinary midfield. Admirable actually.

I’m saying whether it’s deserved or not people will do it.

Straight sets exists are always ridiculed.

Due to this your “rebuilding on the run” argument will not be considered credible.

Haha got it. The Cats are only rebuilding on the run if they make it to a prelim.

These are your made up terms.

No, I don’t believe in rebuilding on the run. You are either contending or not. If you don’t make a prelim you aren’t a contender and are just making up the numbers.

Or do you think losing a SF is a successful year? Surely not.

No, I don’t believe in rebuilding on the run. You are either contending or not. If you don’t make a prelim you aren’t a contender and are just making up the numbers.

Or do you think losing a SF is a successful year? Surely not.
But you said if Geelong go out in straight sets "rebuilding on the run" becomes invalid.

Now you are saying it doesn't exist as a concept.

You are one weird unit. All over the place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Geelong have the worst midfield in the AFL?

Back