Mitch Duncan & rating draft success.

Remove this Banner Ad

BigBadCam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2006
Glenroy, Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
Mitch Duncan would have to be up there as one of the best players, if not the best taken in the 2009 draft. Has walked into the best side in the country and has shown some unbelievable skills. Looks like a Stevie J II, and you have to wonder how he slipped so low. Save for Dustin Martin, none of the other 2009 draftees IMO have shown as much as Mitch.

When you add JPod to our list of inductees, you have to wonder whether Wells has done it again and whether Geelong are set for another era of dominance?Many people were predicting our downfall, but that doesn't look like happening any time soon. Definitely done the best out of the 2009 drafts at this stage.

I am interested to know the opinions of other teams' supporters on Mitch, and where he and JPod rate when compared to youngsters at other clubs.

Mitch Duncan would have to be up there as one of the best players, if not the best taken in the 2009 draft. Has walked into the best side in the country and has shown some unbelievable skills. Looks like a Stevie J II, and you have to wonder how he slipped so low. Save for Dustin Martin, none of the other 2009 draftees IMO have shown as much as Mitch.

When you add JPod to our list of inductees, you have to wonder whether Wells has done it again and whether Geelong are set for another era of dominance?Many people were predicting our downfall, but that doesn't look like happening any time soon. Definitely done the best out of the 2009 drafts at this stage.

I am interested to know the opinions of other teams' supporters on Mitch, and where he and JPod rate when compared to youngsters at other clubs.

As the immortal Winston "The Wolf" Wolfe once said:

"let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet"

As the immortal Winston "The Wolf" Wolfe once said:

"let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet"

Time can tell a different story and players who look good in their first few games can end up being absolute rubbish... Spriggs and David Clarke spring to mind... I am very happy with Geelong's 2009 draft though. I have not seen anyone mention Duncan yet, so am interested in hearing what others think of his footy.

^ Lol, agreed. Yes i've been impressed with how Mitch has performed so far but at the end of the day it's been a sum total of 4 games. Lets see how he goes for the rest of the season, and whether or not he can keep his place when Varcoe, Stokes, Rooke, Scarlett are available for selection.

Here's the thing mate, draftees playing in one of the most dominant sides we've seen will not cope nearly as much attention as the established champions.

With the likes of Selwood, Ablett,Bartel and Corey alll running around these kids often get little to no attention, and the afformentioned champions are still good enough win their own football and get it out to the likes of Duncan and co.

I personally can understand why Duncan went so late, he was considered a one way player, refused to lay a tackle at Junior footy and when he made the step up to the Royals league side.

Has very good skills, happily accept that, but were the slope ever to be an incline you'd see a very different player, loves it on his terms and frankly the enviornment he has walked into is right up his alley.

If you really think Duncan is going to be the best player from last years draft well, I think you're an idiot. 4 games. Some of the blokes taken from last year havent even gotten a gig yet.

Pods is another player who has benefited from the dominance of your midfield, the style of your play and the volume of ball going into the forward 50.

Ash Hansen looked a million dollars with Judd, Kerr and Cousins ramming it down his throat, now that the armchair ride is gone he's in an out of the side. Im not saying Pods is as shit as Hansen but performance has to be taken in context.

Most forwards who can take a mark and kick straight would flourish with that much space and quality ball entry.

But credit where credit is due, these two still have to perform and thus far they have.

Here's the thing mate, draftees playing in one of the most dominant sides we've seen will not cope nearly as much attention as the established champions.

With the likes of Selwood, Ablett,Bartel and Corey alll running around these kids often get little to no attention, and the afformentioned champions are still good enough win their own football and get it out to the likes of Duncan and co.

Pods is another player who has benefited from the dominance of your midfield, the style of your play and the volume of ball going into the forward 50.

Ash Hansen looked a million dollars with Judd, Kerr and Cousins ramming it down his throat, now that the armchair ride is gone he's in an out of the side. Im not saying Pods is as shit as Hansen but performance has to be taken in context.

Most forwards who can take a mark and kick straight would flourish with that much space and quality ball entry.

But credit where credit is due, these two still have to perform and thus far they have.

What Mayne said. I can't talk about what Duncan was like in junior footy but the situation he and Pods find themselves in is ideal...peripheral players in a fantastic and dominant football team. The Eagles showed in their dominant years that you don't need gun forwards to win a premiership...a dominant midfield getting the ball forward often enough will suffice as long as your forwards are ok. Heck as I was typing this I was thinking this also applies to the Cats. Mooney is a decent player and Stevie J is very good but your goal kickers are spread. JPod slips in, gets fantastic service and away he goes. Don't get me wrong, great story but not sure he would have success at many other clubs.

As for a young draftee such as Duncan coming in, he doesn't get a look in from opposition sides. You have about 17 other blokes who get closely looked about before the young kid. A lot easier (not I didn't say easy) to play well in your team than most others. Imagine Duncan at the Tiges...jesus I shudder at the thought of what we would do to the kid.

Good luck to you for the year...certainly looking the goods and will be tough to beat barring injuries. Long way to go though :thumbsu:

Mitch Duncan would have to be up there as one of the best players, if not the best taken in the 2009 draft. Has walked into the best side in the country and has shown some unbelievable skills (1).. Looks like a Stevie J II(2), and you have to wonder how he slipped so low. Save for Dustin Martin, none of the other 2009 draftees IMO have shown as much as Mitch (3).

When you add JPod to our list of inductees, you have to wonder whether Wells has done it again and whether Geelong are set for another era of dominance(4)?Many people were predicting our downfall, but that doesn't look like happening any time soon. Definitely done the best out of the 2009 drafts at this stage(5).

I am interested to know the opinions of other teams' supporters on Mitch(6), and where he and JPod rate when compared to youngsters at other clubs.
1. No he hasnt. Had displayed reasonable standard skills for someone his age.
2. No he doesnt look like a "stevie J" at all
3. Others have shown as much or more.
4. All u have on display is a mature age recruit hired coz he can kick straight, and a typical mid draft kid.
5. Wrong. I add any kid to the Geelong team right now and he'd be looking a zillion bux funnily enough. The flip side is that Podsiadly may have been taken on to give Hawkins the bums rush coz he isnt coming along at the expected rate. Puts heat on Mooney and Hawkins to perform as the cats well known weakest link.
6. If you;re truly interested in the opinions of others u wouldnt have tinged it with such silly biased superlatives, completely stupid comparisons...as well as wild speculation based on nothing but how a half decent kid can look fancy in a great side.
You seem to want people to think something not ask their opinion, big difference.
No ...based on these two Geelong havent shown anymore nouse at the table than others...nor does it mean anything for your future.

One word. Culture.

Tigers can have all the draft picks in the world, in the end its the club its coaches, the surrundings that are going to get the best out of the kids.

One word. Culture.

Tigers can have all the draft picks in the world, in the end its the club its coaches, the surrundings that are going to get the best out of the kids.
true

surround any kid with Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, SJ, Chapman, Scarlett, Mackie, Enright and Corey, and he's going to look pretty good

It's not as if Hanneberry or Duncan have to worry about too much.

Bastinac beats Duncan on almost every statistical pointer and plays in a far weaker side. Duncan averages half a mark and a 1%er more a match, that's it.

Rising star awards should be adjusted exponentially for kids in struggling teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. No he hasnt. Had displayed reasonable standard skills for someone his age.
2. No he doesnt look like a "stevie J" at all
3. Others have shown as much or more.
4. All u have on display is a mature age recruit hired coz he can kick straight, and a typical mid draft kid.
5. Wrong. I add any kid to the Geelong team right now and he'd be looking a zillion bux funnily enough. The flip side is that Podsiadly may have been taken on to give Hawkins the bums rush coz he isnt coming along at the expected rate. Puts heat on Mooney and Hawkins to perform as the cats well known weakest link.
6. If you;re truly interested in the opinions of others u wouldnt have tinged it with such silly biased superlatives, completely stupid comparisons...as well as wild speculation based on nothing but how a half decent kid can look fancy in a great side.
You seem to want people to think something not ask their opinion, big difference.
No ...based on these two Geelong havent shown anymore nouse at the table than others...nor does it mean anything for your future.

This^^^^

When Geelong lose a few of their more dominant mids in the next few years, then will be the time to asses how good he is. you just have to look at all the so called AA players from the West Coast sides that struggle to get a kick these days to realize how much of an effect losing champion players can have on a team and its individuals.

Duncan has shown good poise and has the class to kick goals when he should.

Now he just needs to work on his defensive pressure and getting more of the ball.

Shouldn't be getting too excited yet.

The comparison with Prismall is an interesting one. Seems to be half the player he was or threatened to be when at Geelong which supports the theory that players will appear better when surrounded by quality. He has come back from a knee reconstrcution as well it has to be said.

From a geelong supporters perspective I'm just glad they are blooding some young kids. Hopefully Gillies will also get more time this year.

It's not as if Hanneberry or Duncan have to worry about too much.

Bastinac beats Duncan on almost every statistical pointer and plays in a far weaker side. Duncan averages half a mark and a 1%er more a match, that's it.

Rising star awards should be adjusted exponentially for kids in struggling teams.

Ever thought how much easier it would be for Bastinac at North to get a possession than it is for Duncan when he has good players around him?

Then again, the talent at North should mean Bastinac would get a tag.

Mitch Duncan would have to be up there as one of the best players, if not the best taken in the 2009 draft..

Have not even seen them all yet...

However Scully, Barlow, Silvagni,Trengove, Martin, Morabito, Cunnington, Rohan, Jetta Bastinac are just some that have caught the eye..

I think that unbiased judges would have Barlow in front of Duncan by a fair margin if you only want to base your view on the 4 games so far.

Jetta has probably caused the most excitement.

Trengove and Scully are playing well ina poor team.
etc.

Can we just end this thread by summarising the positions as:

Geelong supporters - he looks really good
Others - he only looks good because he plays for a good team

?

Save everyone a lot of bother now and revist the thread in a few years.

Ever thought how much easier it would be for Bastinac at North to get a possession than it is for Duncan when he has good players around him?

Then again, the talent at North should mean Bastinac would get a tag.
North had 280 odd possies against the Swans with a young midfield that was soundly beaten. Geelong had 479 in a stroll in the park against PA. I know which side I would rather try and get a kick in.

true

surround any kid with Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, SJ, Chapman, Scarlett, Mackie, Enright and Corey, and he's going to look pretty good

while I agree with the call that it's too early to tell if Duncan is going to be a genuinely good player, I do like this quoted post above which now puts Selwood into the "all these champion players you've got" category. It was only 2 seasons ago that Selwood was the one apparently getting an armchair ride from "all these champion players you've got".

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitch Duncan & rating draft success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back